    Grateful for any advice, even "Don't Do It!!" if appropriate :)

    TIA

    Peter

    Peter Watson, Jan 21, 2011

  2. In article <>,
    Peter Watson <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm thinking about porting my BT phone number to Sipgate (I use Virgin
    >cable for broadband) but have a concern about what happens if Sipgate
    >ever were to cease their service...

    Sipgates upstream is Magrathea - and they have a large number of resellers
    - my understanding is that they may be approached to take things over
    should the worst happen to Sipgate..

    >Would I be able to port the number again to another VOIP provider (or
    >even back to BT if I'm not happy with VOIP)?

    In principle, yes. However not all telephone companies have porting
    agreements with everyone else (other than BT) Going back to BT will
    incur a new installation fee, long term contract and might actually be
    impossible if you've moved to a different exchange code... (Or they'll
    put a permanent divert on it for the small fee of £22.50 a month approx)

    >I've seen references about porting of Sipgate numbers to Gradwell (for
    >instance) but the numbers were Magrathea originally rather than BT - Not
    >sure if moving an ex-BT number around makes a difference?

    Magrathea and Gradwell have a cross-porting agreement, so it ought to
    be possible.

    >Grateful for any advice, even "Don't Do It!!" if appropriate :)

    Remember that porting a number in will *cease* all services on your BT
    line - including broadband. If you have a separate broadband provision
    then it'll be fine.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 22, 2011

  3. Peter Watson

    Peter Watson Guest

    On 22/01/2011 08:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > Peter Watson<> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm thinking about porting my BT phone number to Sipgate (I use Virgin
    >> cable for broadband) but have a concern about what happens if Sipgate
    >> ever were to cease their service...

    > Sipgates upstream is Magrathea - and they have a large number of resellers
    > - my understanding is that they may be approached to take things over
    > should the worst happen to Sipgate..

    So does porting a BT number mean it becomes Magrathea's and therefore
    subject to any agreements thay have? At least that would mean that the
    number doesn't belong to Sipgate so is therefore 'safe'...

    >> Would I be able to port the number again to another VOIP provider (or
    >> even back to BT if I'm not happy with VOIP)?

    > In principle, yes. However not all telephone companies have porting
    > agreements with everyone else (other than BT) Going back to BT will
    > incur a new installation fee, long term contract and might actually be
    > impossible if you've moved to a different exchange code... (Or they'll
    > put a permanent divert on it for the small fee of £22.50 a month approx)

    I'm not expecting to want or have to go back to BT and understand the
    contractual issues of going back...

    >> I've seen references about porting of Sipgate numbers to Gradwell (for
    >> instance) but the numbers were Magrathea originally rather than BT - Not
    >> sure if moving an ex-BT number around makes a difference?

    > Magrathea and Gradwell have a cross-porting agreement, so it ought to
    > be possible.

    As above, if the ported number belongs to Magrathea rather than their
    re-seller this makes me feel more comfortable about the proces.

    >> Grateful for any advice, even "Don't Do It!!" if appropriate :)

    > Remember that porting a number in will *cease* all services on your BT
    > line - including broadband. If you have a separate broadband provision
    > then it'll be fine.

    Happy for the BT line to cease - This is why I'm contemplating porting
    to save the line rental. However, like I suspect many, the actual
    number is worth more to me than the service as it would be a pain to
    notify all contacts if it were to change.

    > Gordon

    Thanks for your reply Gordon :)

    Peter Watson, Jan 22, 2011
  4. In article <>,
    Peter Watson <> wrote:
    >On 22/01/2011 08:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> In article<>,
    >> Peter Watson<> wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking about porting my BT phone number to Sipgate (I use Virgin
    >>> cable for broadband) but have a concern about what happens if Sipgate
    >>> ever were to cease their service...

    >> Sipgates upstream is Magrathea - and they have a large number of resellers
    >> - my understanding is that they may be approached to take things over
    >> should the worst happen to Sipgate..
    >>

    >So does porting a BT number mean it becomes Magrathea's and therefore
    >subject to any agreements thay have? At least that would mean that the
    >number doesn't belong to Sipgate so is therefore 'safe'...

    It's a funny old thing... From what I gather, numbers don't "belong"
    to anyone... They're defined by Ofcom then given/rented/leased out to
    telcos who then do with them what they need.

    In this case, one telco (Magrathea) is managing the technical side of the
    numbers for another company (SG) one step down the chain as it were, so
    if the end company goes phut, then the holding company still holds those
    numbers and subject to any contractual agreements with the end-company
    I suppose they could do anything they wanted with them..

    At least that's my understanding! (And I'm also a customer of Magrathea,
    like Sipgate, although my target is somewhat different)

    >As above, if the ported number belongs to Magrathea rather than their
    >re-seller this makes me feel more comfortable about the proces.

    I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the foreseeable future, but I'm sure
    that if they did, someone else would step in to take their place...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 23, 2011
  5. Peter Watson

    John R Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:56 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the foreseeable future, but I'm sure
    >that if they did, someone else would step in to take their place...

    Are sipgate in any kind of problem? I have a number registered with
    them.

    John R, Jan 26, 2011
  6. "John R" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:56 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the foreseeable future, but I'm sure
    >>that if they did, someone else would step in to take their place...

    > Are sipgate in any kind of problem? I have a number registered with
    > them.

    This is how rumours start, and companies can suffer. Read the top post
    carefully again, especially the "I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the
    foreseeable future", which appears to be an opinion expressing faith in the
    continued reliability of Sipgate, nothing else.

    Harry Stottle, Jan 26, 2011
  7. Peter Watson

    John R Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:24:08 -0000, "Harry Stottle"
    <> wrote:

    >"John R" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:11:56 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the foreseeable future, but I'm sure
    >>>that if they did, someone else would step in to take their place...

    >> Are sipgate in any kind of problem? I have a number registered with
    >> them.
    >>

    >This is how rumours start, and companies can suffer. Read the top post
    >carefully again, especially the "I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the
    >foreseeable future", which appears to be an opinion expressing faith in the
    >continued reliability of Sipgate, nothing else.

    It was more this comment that caught my eye

    >Sipgates upstream is Magrathea - and they have a large number of resellers-
    >my understanding is that they may be approached to take things over
    >should the worst happen to Sipgate..

    My apologies as I now realise I read it wrong.

    John R, Jan 26, 2011
  8. Peter Watson

    Graham. Guest

    "John R" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:24:08 -0000, "Harry Stottle"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"John R" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are sipgate in any kind of problem? I have a number registered with
    >>> them.
    >>>

    >>This is how rumours start, and companies can suffer. Read the top post
    >>carefully again, especially the "I can't see SipGate going belly-up in the
    >>foreseeable future", which appears to be an opinion expressing faith in the
    >>continued reliability of Sipgate, nothing else.

    > It was more this comment that caught my eye
    >
    >>Sipgates upstream is Magrathea - and they have a large number of resellers-
    >>my understanding is that they may be approached to take things over
    >>should the worst happen to Sipgate..

    > My apologies as I now realise I read it wrong.

    Don't be too apologetic :)

    I have no idea how many families have lived in this house since it was built,
    but I do know it has had the same phone number since it was connected
    in the 1930s
    I doubt if Sipgate will guarantee it for a further 75 years ;-)

    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13

    Looks like it's just a one-off £20 fee + £5 to keep your phonebook
    entry. The article seems to end abruptly, I wonder if there is more?

    Still, if my broadband could arrive on separate infrastructure I would probebly
    port my BT number to VoIP and cancel the line.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 26, 2011
  9. In article <ihpdlm$aqg$-september.org>,
    Graham. <> wrote:

    >I have no idea how many families have lived in this house since it was built,
    >but I do know it has had the same phone number since it was connected
    >in the 1930s
    >I doubt if Sipgate will guarantee it for a further 75 years ;-)

    I'm sure someone would. At the end of the day, it can always go back
    to BT.

    >http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=13
    >
    >Looks like it's just a one-off £20 fee + £5 to keep your phonebook
    >entry. The article seems to end abruptly, I wonder if there is more?

    Probably just the single word: "actioned" (or similar).

    I regularly port numbers in for my clients - it's not big deal for
    most numbers (not all are portable) and off we go...

    >Still, if my broadband could arrive on separate infrastructure I would probebly
    >port my BT number to VoIP and cancel the line.

    That's the issue right now - we can't get "dry copper" (as I think it's
    known in some places - ie. copper + ADSL but no phone) - it has to come
    with a phone service and if you've only got one phone line, it's a royal
    and expensive PITA to port the number in - which ceases the line and ADSL,
    then re-provision the line and start a new broadband service...

    You can always use an ITSP who'll allow you to place outgoing calls via
    VoIP and present the existing BT number - which is what I do myself and
    for some customers - it allows us to both take and make a call at the
    same time, and the caller sees our home number, even though it's going
    out via VoIP.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Jan 26, 2011