    Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
    Like you can with mobile numbers?

    Thanks -Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Sep 15, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    Adam Lipscombe <> wrote:
    >Folks,
    >
    >Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
    >Like you can with mobile numbers?

    It (probably) depends on the VoIP provider, and it may also depends
    on who you got your existing number from (eg. BT, NTL, etc.) Some can,
    (eg. Gradwell), some can't.

    Gradwells link is:
    http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php

    It's not free, but if it's a service you want then it's a service they
    (and others, probably) offer...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Adam Lipscombe

    Brian A Guest

    On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 08:53:51 +0000 (UTC),
    (Gordon Henderson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Adam Lipscombe <> wrote:
    >>Folks,
    >>
    >>Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
    >>Like you can with mobile numbers?

    >It (probably) depends on the VoIP provider, and it may also depends
    >on who you got your existing number from (eg. BT, NTL, etc.) Some can,
    >(eg. Gradwell), some can't.
    >
    >Gradwells link is:
    > http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php
    >
    >It's not free, but if it's a service you want then it's a service they
    >(and others, probably) offer...
    >
    >Gordon

    Someone did tell me they had ported to voipfone.
    If it is possible port to voiptalk.org there is the advantage that you
    can re-route to a different SIP via theri web site. The navigation on
    their site is B awful but the numbers seem to work OK.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Adam Lipscombe

    BKM Guest

    "Adam Lipscombe" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    >

    > Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
    > Like you can with mobile numbers?
    >

    > Thanks -Adam

    Porting is a an area fraught with mis/disinformation. In order for one
    carrier to port a geographic number to another both operators must have a
    porting agreement which involves technical as well as commercial terms. Many
    operators who have geographic number allocations from Ofcom have very few
    porting agreements. The problem has been exacerbated in recent years by
    operators greedily snapping up vast amounts of geographic numbers (which for
    some areas have run out completely) in order to deliver the same to the DID
    market for VoIP.
    You should always ask an operator what porting agreement they have in place
    if you are concerned about changing your supplier, or your supplier going
    bust ! In many cases you will not get a clear answer, particularly if your
    supplier is a reseller and at the bottom of a very long food chain in the
    telecomms market.
    The same is true for the non-geo numbers e.g. 0845. I have had big problems
    in the past where 0845 number ranges have ben unobtainable for hours on end.
    When we finally found the problem at the wholesale level the operator could
    not port the numbers and in addition refused to speak to us directly as we
    were the customers of their distributor's reseller.
    The 'next generation networks' (NGN's) promise a more flexible environment
    being based entirely upon IP which makes the concept of telephone numbers
    redundant. However, I fear it will be a long and rocky road until the
    benefits filter down to us consumers. Meanwhile, Caveat Emptor !

    BKM, Sep 15, 2006
  5. Adam Lipscombe

    NutCracker Guest

    On 2006-09-15 09:44:41 +0100, Adam Lipscombe <> said:

    > Folks,
    >

    > Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
    > Like you can with mobile numbers?
    >

    > Thanks -Adam

    voip.co.uk can do it for you. However, I've been waiting a bl00dy long
    time and I'm still not hooked up yet. The last update this week was
    that the porting had failed. No reason given. I'm waiting on further
    news as to why...

    Nutz

    NutCracker, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Adam Lipscombe

    Jono Guest

    NutCracker expressed precisely :

    >> Is it possible to port a POTS landline number ported to VOIP?
    >> Like you can with mobile numbers?

    > voip.co.uk can do it for you.

    I hadn't realised it was a service they were offering, or attempting to
    offer.

    Jono, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Adam Lipscombe

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "BKM" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > The 'next generation networks' (NGN's) promise a more
    > flexible environment being based entirely upon IP which
    > makes the concept of telephone numbers redundant.

    How will you dial them from a normal phone then..? What I like about the
    current way of doing things is it's fully backwards-compatible, assuming
    the right bits of equipment. For example, one of my hobbies is collecting
    and restoring old telephones. I have some wired to a small exchange down
    in the garage, there are tie lines from this to the main PABX in the
    house, which performs pulse-to-DTMF conversion, I can dial out on my VoIP
    accounts using an old 1930's rotary dial phone, amongst others..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 16, 2006