    with them. But the ability to have 3+ NG subscriptions at one time was
    never an issue prior to upgrading to TB v3.0.
    , Dec 30, 2009

  2. On 30/12/2009 18:55, wrote:
    > Using TBird v3.0 and Win XP.
    >
    > Just upgraded to TB v3.0 the other day. Am noticing that newsgroup (NG)
    > subscriptions are maxing out at 2 NGs. When I add a 3rd NG, the new NG
    > loads. But when I exit out of TB and come back in, the newly-added NG is
    > there, but one of the original 2 NGs drops off. So, never more than 2
    > NGs displaying at a time.
    >
    > News provider is Tera News (teranews.com) and I use their server called
    > free.teranews.com
    >
    > If this is not a TB issue and possibly a Tera News issue, I'll check
    > with them. But the ability to have 3+ NG subscriptions at one time was
    > never an issue prior to upgrading to TB v3.0.

    I have 8 NGs. I use Thunderbird 3 and Eternal September.
    Invisible Man, Dec 30, 2009

  3. Herb Guest

    On 12/30/2009 2:07 PM, Invisible Man wrote:
    > On 30/12/2009 18:55, wrote:
    >> Using TBird v3.0 and Win XP.
    >>
    >> Just upgraded to TB v3.0 the other day. Am noticing that newsgroup (NG)
    >> subscriptions are maxing out at 2 NGs. When I add a 3rd NG, the new NG
    >> loads. But when I exit out of TB and come back in, the newly-added NG is
    >> there, but one of the original 2 NGs drops off. So, never more than 2
    >> NGs displaying at a time.
    >>
    >> News provider is Tera News (teranews.com) and I use their server called
    >> free.teranews.com
    >>
    >> If this is not a TB issue and possibly a Tera News issue, I'll check
    >> with them. But the ability to have 3+ NG subscriptions at one time was
    >> never an issue prior to upgrading to TB v3.0.

    > I have 8 NGs. I use Thunderbird 3 and Eternal September.

    Thanx-- am not familiar with Eternal September and can't find the
    website to inquire, maybe join. Any info/link is appreciated.
    Herb, Dec 30, 2009
  4. Herb wrote:
    > On 12/30/2009 2:07 PM, Invisible Man wrote:
    >> On 30/12/2009 18:55, wrote:
    >>> Using TBird v3.0 and Win XP.
    >>>
    >>> Just upgraded to TB v3.0 the other day. Am noticing that newsgroup (NG)
    >>> subscriptions are maxing out at 2 NGs. When I add a 3rd NG, the new NG
    >>> loads. But when I exit out of TB and come back in, the newly-added NG is
    >>> there, but one of the original 2 NGs drops off. So, never more than 2
    >>> NGs displaying at a time.
    >>>
    >>> News provider is Tera News (teranews.com) and I use their server called
    >>> free.teranews.com
    >>>
    >>> If this is not a TB issue and possibly a Tera News issue, I'll check
    >>> with them. But the ability to have 3+ NG subscriptions at one time was
    >>> never an issue prior to upgrading to TB v3.0.

    >> I have 8 NGs. I use Thunderbird 3 and Eternal September.

    > Thanx-- am not familiar with Eternal September and can't find the
    > website to inquire, maybe join. Any info/link is appreciated.

    eternal-september.org

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 30, 2009
  5. Herb Guest

    On 12/30/2009 2:56 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> I have 8 NGs. I use Thunderbird 3 and Eternal September.

    >> Thanx-- am not familiar with Eternal September and can't find the
    >> website to inquire, maybe join. Any info/link is appreciated.
    >>

    > eternal-september.org

    Another thing I just noticed. The 3rd newsroup, as listed in the ''All
    Folders'' pane (on my screen left side) -- when it has new mail, the All
    Folders'' pane has a font color of light blue, while all other folder
    colors are in black. Never saw that (blue font color) before.
    Herb, Dec 30, 2009
  6. Herb wrote:
    > On 12/30/2009 2:56 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Herb wrote:

    >>> Thanx-- am not familiar with Eternal September and can't find the
    >>> website to inquire, maybe join. Any info/link is appreciated.
    >>>

    >> eternal-september.org
    >>

    > Another thing I just noticed. The 3rd newsroup, as listed in the ''All
    > Folders'' pane (on my screen left side) -- when it has new mail, the All
    > Folders'' pane has a font color of light blue, while all other folder
    > colors are in black. Never saw that (blue font color) before.

    could be theme related, or you have something in your
    userChrome.css file or in the stylish addon.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 30, 2009
  7. Herb Guest

    On 12/30/2009 6:42 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    >>> eternal-september.org
    >>>

    >> Another thing I just noticed. The 3rd newsroup, as listed in the
    >> ''All Folders'' pane (on my screen left side) -- when it has new
    >> mail, the All Folders'' pane has a font color of light blue, while
    >> all other folder colors are in black. Never saw that (blue font
    >> color) before.

    > could be theme related, or you have something in your userChrome.css
    > file or in the stylish addon.

    this is my chrome.css file -- I don't see anything here identifiable:

    /* Change Browser Fonts */
    * { font-size: 10pt !important;
    font-family: arial !important; }

    /* Folderpane(color/text) & Messagepane(color) */
    treechildren {
    background-color: #FFE6FF !important;
    font-family: arial !important;
    font-size: 9pt !important; }
    Herb, Dec 31, 2009
  8. Herb@MAWS Guest

    On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    > >> could be theme related, or you have something in your userChrome.css
    > >> file or in the stylish addon.

    > > this is my chrome.css file -- I don't see anything here identifiable:

    > > /* Change Browser Fonts */
    > > * { font-size: 10pt !important;
    > > font-family: arial !important; }

    > > /* Folderpane(color/text) & Messagepane(color) */
    > > treechildren {
    > > background-color: #FFE6FF !important;
    > > font-family: arial !important;
    > > font-size: 9pt !important; }

    > close TB, remove the file userChrome.css.  Restart TB.
    >   Does the problem continue?
    >
    > --
    > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    > help!!!!
    >
    > Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    ==========================

    Yes problem continues. As a matter of fact before I removed
    userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
    name in the folder list.

    [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
    Profile folder.]

    Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
    change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).

    So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
    Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account. Reloaded 2 NGs
    (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable). Exited out of TB,
    came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.

    Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
    reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?
    Herb@MAWS, Dec 31, 2009
  9. Herb@MAWS Guest

    On Dec 30, 2:56 pm, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    <> wrote:
    > Herb wrote:

    > >> I have 8 NGs. I useThunderbird3 and Eternal September.

    > > Thanx-- am not familiar with Eternal September and can't find the
    > > website to inquire, maybe join.  Any info/link is appreciated.

    > eternal-september.org

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/
    singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    I signed up -- when the NGs load, I don't even see this NG when I
    search for alt.fan.mozilla -- should I?
    Herb@MAWS, Dec 31, 2009
  10. Herb@MAWS Guest

    On Dec 31, 7:03 am, "Herb@MAWS" <> wrote:
    > On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Herb wrote:

    > > > this is my chrome.css file -- I don't see anything here identifiable:

    > > > /* Change Browser Fonts */
    > > > * { font-size: 10pt !important;
    > > > font-family: arial !important; }

    > > > /* Folderpane(color/text) & Messagepane(color) */
    > > > treechildren {
    > > > background-color: #FFE6FF !important;
    > > > font-family: arial !important;
    > > > font-size: 9pt !important; }

    > > close TB, remove the file userChrome.css.  Restart TB.
    > >   Does the problem continue?

    > > --
    > > *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    > > help!!!!

    > > Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    > > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3http://www.toon...

    > ==========================
    >
    > Yes problem continues.  As a matter of fact before I removed
    > userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
    > name in the folder list.
    >
    > [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
    > Profile folder.]
    >
    > Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
    > change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).
    >
    > So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
    > Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account.  Reloaded 2 NGs
    > (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable).  Exited out of TB,
    > came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.
    >
    > Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
    > reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

    One more thing I've noticed: In Task Mgr, thunderbird.exe isn't
    shutting down for a few minutes, even after TB windows close. Entire
    program seems very unstable at moment. Using approx 575,000K memory
    usage -- I don't know if that should be the normal, approximate amount.
    Herb@MAWS, Dec 31, 2009
  11. Herb@MAWS Guest

    On Dec 31, 11:59 am, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Herb@MAWS wrote:
    > > On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > > <>  wrote:

    > >> close TB, remove the file userChrome.css.  Restart TB.
    > >>    Does the problem continue?

    > >> --
    > >> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    > >> help!!!!

    > >> Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

    > >> Peter Potamus&  His Magic Flying Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3http://www.toon...

    > > ==========================

    > > Yes problem continues.  As a matter of fact before I removed
    > > userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
    > > name in the folder list.

    > > [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
    > > Profile folder.]

    > > Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
    > > change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).

    > > So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
    > > Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account.  Reloaded 2 NGs
    > > (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable).  Exited out of TB,
    > > came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.

    > > Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
    > > reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

    > No.
    >
    > At this point I would:
    >
    > 1. create a new clean profile - do NOT install any extensions/add-ons/themes
    > 2. set up your news account and subscribe to all your groups
    > 3. if this works then migrate your mail accounts from the old profile to
    > the new one.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunde...
    >
    > OR
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6n2nbv
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.net
    > We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

    Thanx -- will try that. But what about the fact that TB is not
    shutting down completely in Task Mgr? Maybe related to the [possibly
    funky] profile?
    Herb@MAWS, Dec 31, 2009
  12. HKL Guest

    On 12/31/2009 11:59 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Herb@MAWS wrote:
    >> On Dec 31, 12:43 am, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> close TB, remove the file userChrome.css. Restart TB.
    >>> Does the problem continue?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> *IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email
    >>> help!!!!
    >>>
    >>> Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public
    >>>
    >>> Peter Potamus& His Magic Flying
    >>> Balloon:http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/mp3/p-potamus.mp3http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    >>>

    >> ==========================
    >>

    >> Yes problem continues. As a matter of fact before I removed
    >> userChrome.css file, all NGs vanished -- all I saw was the Account
    >> name in the folder list.
    >>
    >> [userChrome.css file is removed and saved to desktop, but is not in
    >> Profile folder.]
    >>
    >> Heard back from TeraNews -- no apparent issues at their end and no
    >> change in number of NGs permitted (unlimited).
    >>
    >> So, removed userChrome.css file from Profile folder and deleted the
    >> Teranews account -- and re-created Teranews account. Reloaded 2 NGs
    >> (very slow process, seemed to make TB unstable). Exited out of TB,
    >> came back in and only 1 of the 2 NGs re-loaded were there.
    >>
    >> Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
    >> reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

    > No.
    >
    > At this point I would:
    >
    > 1. create a new clean profile - do NOT install any
    > extensions/add-ons/themes
    > 2. set up your news account and subscribe to all your groups
    > 3. if this works then migrate your mail accounts from the old profile to
    > the new one.
    >
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird
    >
    > OR
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6n2nbv

    OK, a new profile seems to be working. Thanx, Ed.

    I did notice when I originally upgraded to TB 3.0, there were a dozen
    add-ons active, none of which I added -- wonder where they came from or
    how they got added ?

    So now on to copying my old profile folders into thew new profile -- are
    there any I should not copy to the new profile?
    HKL, Dec 31, 2009
  13. Herb@MAWS wrote:

    > Question: Can I do complete uninstall/reinstall of TB ... and upon
    > reinstall, TB will populate with all user profiles and settings again?

    if you uninstall, all you're doing is removing the
    program. The profile is NOT touched. The profile is
    where the vast majority of problems are.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 31, 2009
  14. HKL Guest

    On 12/31/2009 1:51 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Herb@MAWS wrote:
    >
    >> I signed up -- when the NGs load, I don't even see this NG when I
    >> search for alt.fan.mozilla -- should I?

    > yes, it should be there. I've posted to this group from there many
    > times. Did you register? Did you follow the instructions?:
    > http://www.eternal-september.org/index.php?showpage=faq#Login-No-Auth

    Peter and Ed -- Thanx for your help. Seems to be working fine with new
    profile. Every time I try to use the old profile, it pretty much
    freezes TB. With new profile, TB uses about 51K memory, with the old
    profile, it was using 575,000K.

    Disregard my questions about Eternal September -- I've signed up and
    configured it to ''always authenticate'', which is why I wasn't seeing
    the other groups. If I ever need to use it, I've got it set up &
    ready-to-go.

    I've learned to not always try to figure out the "why" of a problem
    occurring -- just git'er fixed, which the new profile seems to have
    accomplished. I suspect the problem has something to do with the dozen
    or so add-ons I found in TB after upgrading to v3.0 -- altho I did not
    put them there. I'm not an "add-on kinda guy". Strange, at best.

    I'll give the new profile 24 hrs of operating time before I delete the
    old one -- just in case the issue reoccurs with the new profile.
    HKL, Dec 31, 2009
  15. HKL Guest

    On 12/31/2009 3:29 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
    > HKL wrote:

    >>> No.
    >>>
    >>> At this point I would:
    >>>
    >>> 1. create a new clean profile - do NOT install any
    >>> extensions/add-ons/themes
    >>> 2. set up your news account and subscribe to all your groups
    >>> 3. if this works then migrate your mail accounts from the old profile to
    >>> the new one.
    >>>
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_data_to_a_new_profile_-_Thunderbird
    >>>

    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/6n2nbv
    >>>

    >> OK, a new profile seems to be working. Thanx, Ed.
    >>
    >> I did notice when I originally upgraded to TB 3.0, there were a dozen
    >> add-ons active, none of which I added -- wonder where they came from or
    >> how they got added ?

    > Does anyone else use your computer? Did you do the original installation
    > or someone else? Also, you might try running the old profile and
    > uninstalling all the add-ons, restart, and see if the original problems
    > go away.

    Yes, son and wife use machine but they don't mess with add-ons -- they
    surf or do school papers -- and that's about it. I checked and no one
    has done anything like that. I disabled all add-ons, but it did not matter.
    HKL, Dec 31, 2009
  16. HKL Guest

    On 12/31/2009 4:34 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > HKL wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, son and wife use machine but they don't mess with add-ons -- they
    >> surf or do school papers -- and that's about it. I checked and no one
    >> has done anything like that. I disabled all add-ons, but it did not
    >> matter.

    > since you have many people also using your computer, then you don't know
    > for sure that they aren't the ones doing the messing. They could be
    > changing things and aren't telling you.
    >
    > There's always a way to remedy these sort of things. Why don't you set
    > each one up with their own profile? So, now you will have 3 profiles.
    > One for wife, one for son, and one for you. You can also set it up so
    > each one will have their own TB icon to start TB. You can also set yours
    > up with a master password, so this way they can't get in your profile
    > and change things.
    >
    > If you also use the Firefox browser, then you can do the same with that.
    >
    > When things are done this way, no matter how much your wife and son
    > messes with "their" profile, it will not affect yours.
    >
    > All this is just a suggestion, though!

    We all heave separate profiles for FF and T-Bird, which is why I don't
    think they have anything to do with my profile issues.
    HKL, Jan 1, 2010