Number of files on the machine appears TWICE the real number

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Stevie M, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. Stevie M

    Stevie M Guest

    I would like to know why Norton gets the file count wrong in scans,
    and actually has been showing pretty inconsistent figures of the total
    number of files it scans on my machine. I noticed years ago that the
    number seemed to be going up steadily even when I didn't install new
    programs and was emptying the recycler and browser cache regularly.
    But lately it's become very obvious. Last week, Norton Internet
    Security reported I had about 330K files on the machine, and no
    security issues. Then suddenly this monday, after I had installed the
    latest version of the Windows updater tool - not auto-update, but the
    update manager - the pc seemed to run a bit sluggishly and the number
    scanned jumped to 550K. I defragged the hard drive with the inbuilt
    Windows xp utility, for some reason it could not be completed but the
    system kept running without trouble. I rebooted and in a fresh Norton
    scan immediately after, the number of files had dropped to 160K, and
    that's roughly the result I get by adding up from properties>number of
    files for each major directory.

    SpaceMonger, which will survey the disk fast, says about the same:
    164K. I ran a chkdsk scan when I rebooted a few hours ago, it said
    just fine and the system appears all healthy.I haven't had any trouble
    with Norton, it's reliable. So, what is it that makes the antivirus
    see two or three times as many files as there actually are?

    Apparently "lost clusters" and notices about when a file was accessed
    can be read as files themselves by some programs , but I don't see
    that doubling the count.

    System is Windows XP SP2 - automatic update disabled but I check for
    ´MS updates and install most of what fits the system
    Browsers: Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10.
    Norton System Works 2008
    Norton Internet Security 2009
    No known security issues.

    Stevie M, Nov 12, 2009

  2. Stevie M

    Stevie M Guest

    On 12 Nov, 04:03, Stevie M <> wrote:
    > I would like to know why Norton gets the file count wrong in scans,
    > and actually has been showing pretty inconsistent figures of the total
    > number of files it scans on my machine. I noticed years ago that the
    > number seemed to be going up steadily even when I didn't install new
    > programs and was emptying the recycler and browser cache regularly.
    > But lately it's become very obvious. Last week, Norton Internet
    > Security reported I had about 330K files on the machine, and no
    > security issues. Then suddenly this monday, after I had installed the
    > latest version of the Windows updater tool - not auto-update, but the
    > update manager - the pc seemed to run a bit sluggishly and the number
    > scanned jumped to 550K. I defragged the hard drive with the inbuilt
    > Windows xp utility, for some reason it could not be completed but the
    > system kept running without trouble. I rebooted and in a fresh Norton
    > scan immediately after, the number of files had dropped to 160K, and
    > that's roughly the result I get by adding up from properties>number of
    > files for each major directory.
    >
    > SpaceMonger, which will survey the disk fast, says about the same:
    > 164K. I ran a chkdsk scan when I rebooted a few hours ago, it said
    > just fine and the system appears all healthy.I haven't had any trouble
    > with Norton, it's reliable. So, what is it that makes the antivirus
    > see two or three times as many files as there actually are?
    >
    > Apparently "lost clusters" and notices about when a file was accessed
    > can be read as files themselves by some programs , but I don't see
    > that doubling the count.
    >
    > System is Windows XP SP2 - automatic update disabled but I check for
    > ´MS updates and install most of what fits the system
    > Browsers: Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10.
    > Norton System Works 2008
    > Norton Internet Security 2009
    > No known security issues.

    Forgot too add, in a new Norton scan just two hours ago, the number of
    files was up at 410K. What *is* going on?

    Stevie M, Nov 12, 2009

  3. From: "Stevie M" <>

    | I would like to know why Norton gets the file count wrong in scans,
    | and actually has been showing pretty inconsistent figures of the total
    | number of files it scans on my machine. I noticed years ago that the
    | number seemed to be going up steadily even when I didn't install new
    | programs and was emptying the recycler and browser cache regularly.
    | But lately it's become very obvious. Last week, Norton Internet
    | Security reported I had about 330K files on the machine, and no
    | security issues. Then suddenly this monday, after I had installed the
    | latest version of the Windows updater tool - not auto-update, but the
    | update manager - the pc seemed to run a bit sluggishly and the number
    | scanned jumped to 550K. I defragged the hard drive with the inbuilt
    | Windows xp utility, for some reason it could not be completed but the
    | system kept running without trouble. I rebooted and in a fresh Norton
    | scan immediately after, the number of files had dropped to 160K, and
    | that's roughly the result I get by adding up from properties>number of
    | files for each major directory.

    | SpaceMonger, which will survey the disk fast, says about the same:
    | 164K. I ran a chkdsk scan when I rebooted a few hours ago, it said
    | just fine and the system appears all healthy.I haven't had any trouble
    | with Norton, it's reliable. So, what is it that makes the antivirus
    | see two or three times as many files as there actually are?

    | Apparently "lost clusters" and notices about when a file was accessed
    | can be read as files themselves by some programs , but I don't see
    | that doubling the count.

    | System is Windows XP SP2 - automatic update disabled but I check for
    | ´MS updates and install most of what fits the system
    | Browsers: Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10.
    | Norton System Works 2008
    | Norton Internet Security 2009
    | No known security issues.

    There are many kinds of Archive files; CAB, ZIP, JAR, CHM, etc.

    If I scan 3 CHM files I may get a total count of 30 files beacuse of all the HTML files in
    the 3 CHM files.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 12, 2009
  4. Stevie M

    Jim Guest

    On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:07:42 -0800 (PST), Stevie M
    <> wrote:

    >On 12 Nov, 04:03, Stevie M <> wrote:
    >> I would like to know why Norton gets the file count wrong in scans,
    >> and actually has been showing pretty inconsistent figures of the total
    >> number of files it scans on my machine. I noticed years ago that the
    >> number seemed to be going up steadily even when I didn't install new
    >> programs and was emptying the recycler and browser cache regularly.
    >> But lately it's become very obvious. Last week, Norton Internet
    >> Security reported I had about 330K files on the machine, and no
    >> security issues. Then suddenly this monday, after I had installed the
    >> latest version of the Windows updater tool - not auto-update, but the
    >> update manager - the pc seemed to run a bit sluggishly and the number
    >> scanned jumped to 550K. I defragged the hard drive with the inbuilt
    >> Windows xp utility, for some reason it could not be completed but the
    >> system kept running without trouble. I rebooted and in a fresh Norton
    >> scan immediately after, the number of files had dropped to 160K, and
    >> that's roughly the result I get by adding up from properties>number of
    >> files for each major directory.
    >>
    >> SpaceMonger, which will survey the disk fast, says about the same:
    >> 164K. I ran a chkdsk scan when I rebooted a few hours ago, it said
    >> just fine and the system appears all healthy.I haven't had any trouble
    >> with Norton, it's reliable. So, what is it that makes the antivirus
    >> see two or three times as many files as there actually are?
    >>
    >> Apparently "lost clusters" and notices about when a file was accessed
    >> can be read as files themselves by some programs , but I don't see
    >> that doubling the count.
    >>
    >> System is Windows XP SP2 - automatic update disabled but I check for
    >> ´MS updates and install most of what fits the system
    >> Browsers: Internet Explorer 8, Opera 10.
    >> Norton System Works 2008
    >> Norton Internet Security 2009
    >> No known security issues.

    >Forgot too add, in a new Norton scan just two hours ago, the number of
    >files was up at 410K. What *is* going on?

    Most people will say Norton is cr*p .

    Jim, Nov 12, 2009
  5. On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:03:53 -0800 (PST), Stevie M wrote:

    > I would like to know why Norton gets the file count wrong in scans,

    Because it is a piece of shit.

    Next question.
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!