    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.comm

    Old Gringo, Jan 14, 2009

  2. Old Gringo

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:19:19 -0600, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    >I have read all the information I could find in forms and at MFG site
    >+ retailers. I have talked to Sales rep. Q: Is there anyone out
    >there that might have hands-on experience with the Nu-Teck Airless
    >Bike Tires? No Ambiguous Rambling Please <g>

    Don't scoff.
    I saw on a discovery channel show not too long ago where some guys had
    invented a bike wheel that requires no air in the tires. Instead of
    relying on that air cushion, the wheel has built in shock absorbers.
    No spokes like the standard bike tires have.

    As for the nu-teck tires, well, photos show that there seems to be a
    built in "cushion of air" in little pockets rather than throughout the
    tire. Might be interesting to try them out.

    $1,000 per eh?

    richard, Jan 14, 2009

  3. Old Gringo

    Mike Easter Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:
    > I have read all the information I could find in forms and at MFG site
    > + retailers. I have talked to Sales rep. Q: Is there anyone out
    > there that might have hands-on experience with the Nu-Teck Airless
    > Bike Tires? No Ambiguous Rambling Please <g>

    Here's a positive customer review

    <snip>
    Nutech Airless Tires (700c x 28) November 17, 2007
    Reviewer: Stephen Agens from Erie, PA United States

    When you first open the box, you say to yourself "I spent money on
    these?" They are a uniform shiney black and feel like cheap plastic. Don't
    let this fool you. They ride like a dream. Put 19 miles on them today. At
    first you notice some roll off in turns, but that disappears after a mile
    or so. Am thinking of trying 700x20 on my trials bike. They roll that
    easy! AND NO FLATS! Jammin
    </snip>

    Here's a different negative one about slickness and 'road resistance'
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-265915.html

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 14, 2009
  4. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, richard Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:19:19 -0600, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have read all the information I could find in forms and at MFG site
    >> + retailers. I have talked to Sales rep. Q: Is there anyone out
    >> there that might have hands-on experience with the Nu-Teck Airless
    >> Bike Tires? No Ambiguous Rambling Please <g>

    > Don't scoff.
    > I saw on a discovery channel show not too long ago where some guys had
    > invented a bike wheel that requires no air in the tires. Instead of
    > relying on that air cushion, the wheel has built in shock absorbers.
    > No spokes like the standard bike tires have.
    >
    > As for the nu-teck tires, well, photos show that there seems to be a
    > built in "cushion of air" in little pockets rather than throughout the
    > tire. Might be interesting to try them out.
    >
    > $1,000 per eh?

    I'm going to give them a try, nothing ventured nothing gained. <g>

    --
    Old Gringo

    Old Gringo, Jan 14, 2009
  5. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, richard Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:19:19 -0600, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have read all the information I could find in forms and at MFG site
    >> + retailers. I have talked to Sales rep. Q: Is there anyone out
    >> there that might have hands-on experience with the Nu-Teck Airless
    >> Bike Tires? No Ambiguous Rambling Please <g>

    > Don't scoff.
    > I saw on a discovery channel show not too long ago where some guys had
    > invented a bike wheel that requires no air in the tires. Instead of
    > relying on that air cushion, the wheel has built in shock absorbers.
    > No spokes like the standard bike tires have.
    >
    > As for the nu-teck tires, well, photos show that there seems to be a
    > built in "cushion of air" in little pockets rather than throughout the
    > tire. Might be interesting to try them out.
    >
    > $1,000 per eh?

    PS: Thank You for the reply.

    Old Gringo, Jan 14, 2009
  6. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, Mike Easter Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> I have read all the information I could find in forms and at MFG site
    >> + retailers. I have talked to Sales rep. Q: Is there anyone out
    >> there that might have hands-on experience with the Nu-Teck Airless
    >> Bike Tires? No Ambiguous Rambling Please <g>

    > Here's a positive customer review
    >
    > <snip>
    > Nutech Airless Tires (700c x 28) November 17, 2007
    > Reviewer: Stephen Agens from Erie, PA United States
    >
    > When you first open the box, you say to yourself "I spent money on
    > these?" They are a uniform shiney black and feel like cheap plastic. Don't
    > let this fool you. They ride like a dream. Put 19 miles on them today. At
    > first you notice some roll off in turns, but that disappears after a mile
    > or so. Am thinking of trying 700x20 on my trials bike. They roll that
    > easy! AND NO FLATS! Jammin
    > </snip>
    >
    > Here's a different negative one about slickness and 'road resistance'
    > http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-265915.html

    Thanks Mike, I have read most of the reviews and find them very
    mixed, pros/cons. I have decided to give them a try, I will be
    putting them on a Schwinn Meridian. It takes about a month to get
    them delivered. After a test ride I'll get back here and post
    results. Again Thank You

    Old Gringo, Jan 14, 2009
  7. Old Gringo wrote:
    > On Or About This Time And Date In History, richard Stumbled Over To The
    > Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:19:19 -0600, Old Gringo
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have read all the information I could find in forms and at MFG site
    >>> + retailers. I have talked to Sales rep. Q: Is there anyone out
    >>> there that might have hands-on experience with the Nu-Teck Airless
    >>> Bike Tires? No Ambiguous Rambling Please <g>

    >> Don't scoff.
    >> I saw on a discovery channel show not too long ago where some guys had
    >> invented a bike wheel that requires no air in the tires. Instead of
    >> relying on that air cushion, the wheel has built in shock absorbers.
    >> No spokes like the standard bike tires have.
    >> As for the nu-teck tires, well, photos show that there seems to be a
    >> built in "cushion of air" in little pockets rather than throughout the
    >> tire. Might be interesting to try them out.
    >>
    >> $1,000 per eh?

    > I'm going to give them a try, nothing ventured nothing gained. <g>

    Rolling resistance probably wont be as good as tubes, mate.
    Just run some slime in yer tubes. And I used to use some tire liners
    that saved me from everything except a sidwall puncture.
    Commuted 12 miles back & forth to work on em for many years.
    HTH

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 14, 2009
  8. Old Gringo

    G. Morgan Guest

    RtS wrote:

    >As for the nu-teck tires, well, photos show that there seems to be a
    >built in "cushion of air" in little pockets rather than throughout the
    >tire. Might be interesting to try them out.
    >
    >$1,000 per eh?

    They are $37.50/ea, read much?

    http://www.nu-teck.com/news.html

    --
    Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that,
    I'll be over here, looking through your stuff. -Jack Handey

    G. Morgan, Jan 14, 2009
  9. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, §ñühw¤£f Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >> On Or About This Time And Date In History, richard Stumbled Over To
    >> The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::

    >>> Don't scoff.
    >>> I saw on a discovery channel show not too long ago where some guys had
    >>> invented a bike wheel that requires no air in the tires. Instead of
    >>> relying on that air cushion, the wheel has built in shock absorbers.
    >>> No spokes like the standard bike tires have.
    >>> As for the nu-teck tires, well, photos show that there seems to be a
    >>> built in "cushion of air" in little pockets rather than throughout the
    >>> tire. Might be interesting to try them out.
    >>>
    >>> $1,000 per eh?

    >> I'm going to give them a try, nothing ventured nothing gained. <g>
    >>

    > Rolling resistance probably wont be as good as tubes, mate.
    > Just run some slime in yer tubes. And I used to use some tire liners
    > that saved me from everything except a sidwall puncture.
    > Commuted 12 miles back & forth to work on em for many years.
    > HTH

    Been there done that, I live in Thorn country.

    Old Gringo, Jan 14, 2009
  10. Old Gringo

    Kenneth Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:57:36 -0600, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    >On Or About This Time And Date In History, §ñühw¤£f Stumbled Over To
    >The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    >> Old Gringo wrote:
    >>> On Or About This Time And Date In History, richard Stumbled Over To
    >>> The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::

    >>> I'm going to give them a try, nothing ventured nothing gained. <g>
    >>>

    >> Rolling resistance probably wont be as good as tubes, mate.
    >> Just run some slime in yer tubes. And I used to use some tire liners
    >> that saved me from everything except a sidwall puncture.
    >> Commuted 12 miles back & forth to work on em for many years.
    >> HTH

    >Been there done that, I live in Thorn country.

    Howdy,

    You might want to check:

    http://www.google.com/search?source...enUS240US240&q=nu-teck tire rec.bicycles.tech

    It's just a google search for comments on Nu-teck that
    appear on rec.bicycles.tech.

    The tone seems to be that the tires are reasonable, but the
    service is not.

    In any case, I'd suggest that you read a bit there.

    All the best,
    --
    Kenneth

    Kenneth, Jan 15, 2009
  11. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, Kenneth Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:57:36 -0600, Old Gringo
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Or About This Time And Date In History, §ñühw¤£f Stumbled Over To
    >> The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::

    >>> Rolling resistance probably wont be as good as tubes, mate.
    >>> Just run some slime in yer tubes. And I used to use some tire liners
    >>> that saved me from everything except a sidwall puncture.
    >>> Commuted 12 miles back & forth to work on em for many years.
    >>> HTH

    >> Been there done that, I live in Thorn country.

    > Howdy,
    >
    > You might want to check:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?source...enUS240US240&q=nu-teck tire rec.bicycles.tech
    >
    > It's just a google search for comments on Nu-teck that
    > appear on rec.bicycles.tech.
    >
    > The tone seems to be that the tires are reasonable, but the
    > service is not.
    >
    > In any case, I'd suggest that you read a bit there.
    >
    > All the best,

    Thanks Kenneth

    Old Gringo, Jan 15, 2009
  12. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, §ñühw¤£f Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > Old Gringo <> pinched out a steaming pile
    > of<1Jsbl.13190$>:
    >
    >> On Or About This Time And Date In History, Mike Easter Stumbled Over
    >> To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::

    > site
    >>> Here's a positive customer review
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>> Nutech Airless Tires (700c x 28) November 17, 2007
    >>> Reviewer: Stephen Agens from Erie, PA United States
    >>>
    >>> When you first open the box, you say to yourself "I spent money on
    >>> these?" They are a uniform shiney black and feel like cheap plastic.

    > Don't
    >>> let this fool you. They ride like a dream. Put 19 miles on them

    > today. At
    >>> first you notice some roll off in turns, but that disappears after a

    > mile
    >>> or so. Am thinking of trying 700x20 on my trials bike. They roll

    > that
    >>> easy! AND NO FLATS! Jammin
    >>> </snip>
    >>>
    >>> Here's a different negative one about slickness and 'road

    > resistance'
    >>> http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-265915.html
    >>>

    >> Thanks Mike, I have read most of the reviews and find them very
    >> mixed, pros/cons. I have decided to give them a try, I will be
    >> putting them on a Schwinn Meridian. It takes about a month to get
    >> them delivered. After a test ride I'll get back here and post
    >> results. Again Thank You
    >>

    > I'd reccomend these you pinche gavacho...I grew up in arizona so I know
    > wtf is necessary to prevent flats:
    > http://www.bikepro.com/products/tubes/tubes-tuffy.html
    >
    > Mr Tuffy, all the way.
    > HTH, you daft codswollop :)

    LMAO Been there done that. Your instance is not convincing. <g>
    I will be installing a set of Nu-Teck's.
    Thanks for your impute however, it was fun.
    Have a grand day and enjoy.

    Old Gringo, Jan 15, 2009
  13. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, Jimchip Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On 2009-01-15, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >> On Or About This Time And Date In History, ??hw??f Stumbled Over To
    >> The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    >>> Old Gringo <> pinched out a steaming pile

    >>> site

    >>> Don't
    >>> today. At
    >>> mile
    >>> that

    >>> resistance'

    >>> I'd reccomend these you pinche gavacho...I grew up in arizona so I know
    >>> wtf is necessary to prevent flats:
    >>> http://www.bikepro.com/products/tubes/tubes-tuffy.html
    >>>
    >>> Mr Tuffy, all the way.
    >>> HTH, you daft codswollop :)
    >>>

    >> LMAO Been there done that. Your instance is not convincing. <g>
    >> I will be installing a set of Nu-Teck's.
    >> Thanks for your impute however, it was fun.
    >> Have a grand day and enjoy.

    > From my point of view, it might not be a bad idea to have a new set of
    > wheels, too. You could, then, just swap 'em out, based on your terrain.
    > You have the 'old gear' and if you go with the nu-teks then you'd have
    > the wheels just sitting there... just a thought.

    The Trike they are going on is new and so are the tires, this measure
    is up front PM <g>

    Old Gringo, Jan 16, 2009
  14. Old Gringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History, Jimchip Stumbled Over To
    The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > On 2009-01-16, Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >> On Or About This Time And Date In History, Jimchip Stumbled Over To
    >> The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::

    >>> From my point of view, it might not be a bad idea to have a new set of
    >>> wheels, too. You could, then, just swap 'em out, based on your terrain.
    >>> You have the 'old gear' and if you go with the nu-teks then you'd have
    >>> the wheels just sitting there... just a thought.
    >>>

    >> The Trike they are going on is new and so are the tires, this measure
    >> is up front PM <g>

    > That makes sense. I couldn't tell. We either pump 'em up or decompress
    > 'em, like now, so they fit on the trainer while we're 'hunkered down'. I
    > like this nu-tek notion, though. When Spring in my neck of the woods
    > rolls in it would be nice to have something like that.

    They should be here sometime next month, I'll let you know how they
    turn out.

    Old Gringo, Jan 16, 2009
  15. Old Gringo

    bhamilton

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    airless tires

    I read all the comments about airless tires before buying a set about 2 years ago. My impression was that all the "bike elitists" were against them due to rolling resistance, weight and shock absorbancy.

    I bought a pair from the guy in Florida (FlatFree Tires?), and aside from the initial LOOOOONG wait to get them, I have been very happy with mine. I ride in western North Carolina, where every ride is half uphill and half downhill, and many of the hills are rather steep and/or rather long. I usually ride 15 to 30 miles at least three times a week when the weather is good, and I average between 15 and 17 mph when riding alone (almost always alone), so I think I'd be classified as maybe a serious recreational rider. The tires are on my old Cannondale R500, which weighs the same as my fairly new Giant OCR1 (I had them weighed at the bike shop the day I bought the Giant); that tells me the tires don't add significantly to the weight (and even if they did, I can lose a pound of fat more easily than I can afford a new lightweight wheelset! -BTW, I weigh between 174 and 183 most of the time, usually lighter during the summer when I'm riding a lot)

    Anyway, when I bought the airless tires, I put them on the Cannondale and rode probably 1,000 - 1,500 miles on them before I bought my Giant. I average about 1 MPH faster on the Giant, but I think that may be due to the triple ring versus the Cannondale's double, enabling me to keep better speed on the hills (I've also become a better cyclist over the last couple of years, which makes a difference).

    In short, I think the tires ride very well, and if I have another run of flats on the Giant, I'll buy another set for that bike, without hesitation. Another complaint I read about was their performance when wet. I don't ride much in the rain, but the few times I have, I could tell no difference in the ride.

    If you commute and you need to get to work on time, or, like me, just don't enjoy interrupting your ride with mechanical work, then I think you'll be very happy with the airless tires.

    The Cannondale is now my trainer bike, and the tires are great for the trainer.

    I bought the Daytona Time Trial model, if I recall correctly.

    Have fun!

    bhamilton, Apr 22, 2009