NTVDM

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:gwiwf.13421$,
    Vic spewed forth:
    > I need to program several two way motorola two way radios. The radios
    > are old enough that the program the writes to the radio is DOS based.
    > I got it to work but it is very slow reading the radio or writing to
    > it. Back in the day on a dos machine it would only take one maybe two
    > minutes to read the radio. When I run this DOS program on a WinXP
    > system it probably takes 45 minutes to read the same radio. The
    > settings in the program are identical. The computer and the radio
    > communicate through a 9 pin com port. I have looked at all the
    > settings for the com port and they are setup to the basic standards
    > by default which are the same settings that worked fine in dos. For
    > example 9600 baud, 8 none and 1 for data parity and stop bits. I did
    > notice that the NTVDM process uses all of the processor while it is
    > communicating with the radio. This is a program that will run on a
    > 386. I really don't want to keep any of the old systems if I can get
    > this software to run on my WinXP 2.4GHz based system. What would be
    > some suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Try running the software in "compatibility" mode set for Win95.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Toolman Tim

    Vic Guest

    --
    Vic

    "Any Society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security
    will deserve neither and loose both." Benjamin Franklin

    Vic, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Toolman Tim

    Vic Guest

    I have tried running all of the different compatibility modes and nothing
    seemed to help, if anything the programs seems to run slower. Does anybody
    know of someplace where all the pif options are broken down for what hey all
    do in WinXP?

    Thanks in advance.
    Vic

    Vic, Jan 9, 2006
  4. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:yhwwf.41648$Mi5.32616@dukeread07,
    Vic spewed forth:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:gwiwf.13421$,
    >> Vic spewed forth:
    >>> I need to program several two way motorola two way radios. The
    >>> radios are old enough that the program the writes to the radio is
    >>> DOS based. I got it to work but it is very slow reading the radio
    >>> or writing to it. Back in the day on a dos machine it would only
    >>> take one maybe two minutes to read the radio. When I run this DOS
    >>> program on a WinXP system it probably takes 45 minutes to read the
    >>> same radio. The settings in the program are identical. The computer
    >>> and the radio communicate through a 9 pin com port. I have looked
    >>> at all the settings for the com port and they are setup to the
    >>> basic standards by default which are the same settings that worked
    >>> fine in dos. For example 9600 baud, 8 none and 1 for data parity
    >>> and stop bits. I did notice that the NTVDM process uses all of the
    >>> processor while it is communicating with the radio. This is a
    >>> program that will run on a 386. I really don't want to keep any of
    >>> the old systems if I can get this software to run on my WinXP
    >>> 2.4GHz based system. What would be some suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> Try running the software in "compatibility" mode set for Win95.
    >>

    > I have tried running all of the different compatibility modes and
    > nothing seemed to help, if anything the programs seems to run slower.
    > Does anybody know of someplace where all the pif options are broken
    > down for what hey all do in WinXP?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Vic

    Well, I have to say I have similar problems with an old DOS program (written
    in QuickBasic 4.5) that uses the serial communications to interface with a
    custom printer. When that program is running, it had better be the only
    thing the computer is doing...nothing else can get any attention.

    Sorry - I haven't any ideas...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim

    AGEE Guest

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:52:00 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:yhwwf.41648$Mi5.32616@dukeread07,
    >Vic spewed forth:
    >
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:gwiwf.13421$,
    >>> Vic spewed forth:

    >>> Try running the software in "compatibility" mode set for Win95.
    >>>

    >> I have tried running all of the different compatibility modes and
    >> nothing seemed to help, if anything the programs seems to run slower.
    >> Does anybody know of someplace where all the pif options are broken
    >> down for what hey all do in WinXP?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >> Vic

    >Well, I have to say I have similar problems with an old DOS program (written
    >in QuickBasic 4.5) that uses the serial communications to interface with a
    >custom printer. When that program is running, it had better be the only
    >thing the computer is doing...nothing else can get any attention.
    >
    >Sorry - I haven't any ideas...

    Could try setting up a MSdos boot disk with everything on it and set
    the PC to boot from it. Or get an old small HD from a junker and put a
    DOS system on.

    AGEE, Jan 9, 2006
  6. Toolman Tim

    Vic Guest

    I thank you all for your suggestions I will keep playing with it and let you
    all know if I have a break through.
    Vic

    Vic, Jan 9, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    AGEE spewed forth:
    > On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:52:00 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:yhwwf.41648$Mi5.32616@dukeread07,
    >> Vic spewed forth:
    >>
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have tried running all of the different compatibility modes and
    >>> nothing seemed to help, if anything the programs seems to run
    >>> slower. Does anybody know of someplace where all the pif options
    >>> are broken down for what hey all do in WinXP?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>> Vic

    >> Well, I have to say I have similar problems with an old DOS program
    >> (written in QuickBasic 4.5) that uses the serial communications to
    >> interface with a custom printer. When that program is running, it
    >> had better be the only thing the computer is doing...nothing else
    >> can get any attention.
    >>
    >> Sorry - I haven't any ideas...

    > Could try setting up a MSdos boot disk with everything on it and set
    > the PC to boot from it. Or get an old small HD from a junker and put a
    > DOS system on.

    Excellent idea, if the program is small enough to fit on floppy, or even CD.
    A DOS bootable hard drive is also an okay suggestion, but in many PCs that
    requires mucking around in the CMOS setup to change boot drives.

    My problem is compounded by needing my program accessible in the
    multi-tasking enviroment. In other words, we switch frequently between
    running the DOS program, and using other Windows based software, which, no
    matter how fast the PC boots Windows, would be quite problematic. (What I
    really need to do is learn Visual Basic and re-write the program, but I'm
    *way* too lazy...errrr...busy to do that <grin>)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 9, 2006