    Thanks in advance
    regards
    John

    John Settle, Nov 24, 2003

  2. John Settle

    Fowl Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:21:09 -0000, "John Settle"
    <> wrote:

    >I have just had a new folder appear on my desktop which has decided to call
    >itself ~ . Clicking on properties it identifies itself as ntuser.dat
    >and there is an associated file ntuser.dat.log . I haven't a clue where its
    >come from or what its purpose is. Additionally, I have had mails returned to
    >me as containing 'undeliverable content in attachment' - when in fact I have
    >not sent such mails. My firewall and antivirus have not highlighted anything
    >as being wrong. I have just changed to windows xp and downloaded all
    >critical updates, the commensurate date on the ntuser.dat.log is the same as
    >the day I changed my operating system. Has there been a breach in my
    >security or is this part of the operating system - it hasn't happened on
    >anyone elses system that I know. I don't even know whether I have one or two
    >issues here. Any help, guidance, advice or knowledge would be greatly
    >appreciated - windows 3.11, 95, 98se and me never gave me the headaches xp
    >is throwing up.
    >Thanks in advance
    >regards
    >John

    I believe it's a bug with OE, could be off on that one,
    as I dumped it a couple years ago.

    To Reply: madballs64 (at) gmx (dot) net

    Fowl, Nov 24, 2003

  3. If it is a FILE dumped on the DeskTop and named "~" then it is caused by a bug in OE. This
    is shown by renaming the file as "name.wab" and you should see a backup of your address
    book. But a folder called "~" related to ntuser.dat ? No idea....

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Nov 24, 2003
  4. John Settle

    John Settle Guest

    Many thanks for your replies, yes it is a file and not a folder that has
    appeared - my ineptitude in the description. Full marks for your replies - I
    can sleep easy - a big and sincere thank you for your answers and time in
    posting them.
    Regards
    John

    John Settle, Nov 24, 2003