ntune and x64 lock up

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by miso@sushi.com, Aug 15, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My system was hanging up just at the point where you logged in and saw
    the wallpaper, but the bar at the bottom on the screen and shortcuts
    didn't appear. I could get the task manager to run, and stopped ntune
    to get the system to boot. It didn't happen every time, but often. I
    uninstalled ntune on a hunch, and the problem is history.

    Just something to keep in mind if you are having problems and are
    looking for a straw to grasp. ;-)
    , Aug 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On 14 Aug 2006 19:18:30 -0700, wrote:

    >It didn't happen every time, but often. I
    >uninstalled ntune on a hunch, and the problem is history.


    That means that nTune's settings are a bit over-optimistic
    for your system ;-) You don't need to uninstall nTune, but
    prevent the tuning-profile (which is default called
    "Best System") from loading.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Aug 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Jud Hendrix wrote:
    > On 14 Aug 2006 19:18:30 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >It didn't happen every time, but often. I
    > >uninstalled ntune on a hunch, and the problem is history.

    >
    > That means that nTune's settings are a bit over-optimistic
    > for your system ;-) You don't need to uninstall nTune, but
    > prevent the tuning-profile (which is default called
    > "Best System") from loading.
    >
    > jud


    Actually, I never got ntune to run. I didn't realize it is also a
    background job. When I saw it, I figured that was the culprit.
    , Aug 15, 2006
    #3
  4. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On 15 Aug 2006 01:16:55 -0700, wrote:

    >Actually, I never got ntune to run. I didn't realize it is also a
    >background job. When I saw it, I figured that was the culprit.


    From what I understand, it's nTuneservice whihc loads the selected profile.
    You can associate the NPE-files with nTuneCmd.exe and load them by just
    clicking them, but also via the profile-manager select which profile should
    be loaded under which circumstances.
    I had a hard time to get it to run as well. If I open the Control Panel, I
    can see the performance window in there, but as soon as I click in it, it
    closes. I found out that installing nTune v5 over nTune v3 doesn't work,
    because nTune v5 is different, so I uninstalled v3, and reinstalled v5
    (again, those dreadeed nVidia installers :-( ).

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Aug 15, 2006
    #4
  5. Hmm, what is nTune anyway?

    I don't have any nForce gear so, I'm quite in the dark here.


    Tony. . .


    "Jud Hendrix" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 15 Aug 2006 01:16:55 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Actually, I never got ntune to run. I didn't realize it is also a
    > >background job. When I saw it, I figured that was the culprit.

    >
    > From what I understand, it's nTuneservice whihc loads the selected

    profile.
    > You can associate the NPE-files with nTuneCmd.exe and load them by just
    > clicking them, but also via the profile-manager select which profile

    should
    > be loaded under which circumstances.
    > I had a hard time to get it to run as well. If I open the Control Panel, I
    > can see the performance window in there, but as soon as I click in it, it
    > closes. I found out that installing nTune v5 over nTune v3 doesn't work,
    > because nTune v5 is different, so I uninstalled v3, and reinstalled v5
    > (again, those dreadeed nVidia installers :-( ).
    >
    > jud
    Tony Sperling, Aug 15, 2006
    #5
  6. jabloomf1230 Guest

    The latest version is nTune 5.08, but it is targeted at the newest
    nVidia motherboards and even though it may say it's compatible with your
    older motherboard, nTune's behavior is very unpredictable. In any case,
    most OCing should be done at the BIOS level, since a Windows BSOD caused
    by nTune could make for a major headache.

    wrote:
    > My system was hanging up just at the point where you logged in and saw
    > the wallpaper, but the bar at the bottom on the screen and shortcuts
    > didn't appear. I could get the task manager to run, and stopped ntune
    > to get the system to boot. It didn't happen every time, but often. I
    > uninstalled ntune on a hunch, and the problem is history.
    >
    > Just something to keep in mind if you are having problems and are
    > looking for a straw to grasp. ;-)
    >
    >
    >
    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0633-2, 08/16/2006
    > Tested on: 8/16/2006 5:31:57 PM
    > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.
    > http://www.avast.com
    >
    >
    >
    jabloomf1230, Aug 16, 2006
    #6
  7. Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:25:02 +0200, "Tony Sperling"
    <> wrote:

    >Hmm, what is nTune anyway?
    >
    >I don't have any nForce gear so, I'm quite in the dark here.


    nTune is an automatic overclocking utility. You can select to tune several
    parts for their best performance (CPU, GPU, memory), and it sets parameters
    for them higher, runs a benchmark, and ups it again, until the computer
    crashes, and then nTune knows it pushed too far.
    You can create several profiles, and have them loaded when you wish. Say,
    you want to play a game, you load the maximum performance profile, but when
    you watch a DVD, you chose a quiet profile, where colcks are lowered, less
    heat is generated and fans can be slowed down then.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Aug 17, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. F*R*A*N*K_pa_nu_cc_i

    'VIEW' and 'GO' menus lock up Firfox for minutes

    F*R*A*N*K_pa_nu_cc_i, Dec 6, 2005, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    445
    Leonidas Jones
    Dec 6, 2005
  2. Jud Hendrix

    Nvidia Ntune v3.00.14.05 for x64

    Jud Hendrix, Dec 1, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    384
    Piers James
    Dec 2, 2005
  3. Jud Hendrix

    Nvidia nTune 5.05.18.00

    Jud Hendrix, Nov 10, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    514
    =?Utf-8?B?eHRlbGE=?=
    Nov 11, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

    NVidia NTune 5.05.25.00 for x64 released

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 30, 2007, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,531
    chinga69
    Feb 3, 2007
  5. Rich
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    349
    John Turco
    Sep 28, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page