    rather than my currant FAT32) ??

    If it is, would I still be able to access drives D: & E: which are FAT32.

    JK

    John \O\, Oct 25, 2003

  2. "John \"O\"" <> wrote:

    >I currently have the following drives set-up on my PC as:
    >
    >C: drive (FAT32) running WinXP (20GB). (Has 40GB hidden for dual boot =
    >WinMe, which this can read drives D: & E:)
    >
    >What I'd like to know is should my C: drive (WinXP side, be a NTFS partition
    >rather than my currant FAT32) ??
    >
    >If it is, would I still be able to access drives D: & E: which are FAT32.

    1. There is no problem with using FAT32 and NTFS partitions in the
    same computer.
    2. Windows ME cannot read NTFS so you cannot convert C to NTFS without
    breaking Windows ME, because Windows ME needs access to C during the
    boot process even if it is not installed on this drive.

    --
    (tm)

    Thorsten Matzner, Oct 25, 2003

  3. John \O\

    MB Guest

    "Thorsten Matzner" <> wrote in message
    > "John \"O\"" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I currently have the following drives set-up on my PC as:
    > >
    > >C: drive (FAT32) running WinXP (20GB). (Has 40GB hidden for dual boot =
    > >WinMe, which this can read drives D: & E:)
    > >
    > >What I'd like to know is should my C: drive (WinXP side, be a NTFS

    partition
    > >rather than my currant FAT32) ??
    > >
    > >If it is, would I still be able to access drives D: & E: which are FAT32.

    > 1. There is no problem with using FAT32 and NTFS partitions in the
    > same computer.
    > 2. Windows ME cannot read NTFS so you cannot convert C to NTFS without
    > breaking Windows ME, because Windows ME needs access to C during the
    > boot process even if it is not installed on this drive.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

    There is a different way of doing this other then partitioning one drive and
    setting up multi-boot. The solution to your problem is to get one of the
    following which ever one you prefer or can afford. Being able to run multi
    OS's at the same time on the same hardware platform is incredible. Unix,
    Linux, MS Windows, etc.

    WMware - allows you to run multiple operating systems at the same time on
    the same PC without rebooting or partitioning your disk.

    http://www.vmware.com/

    Or

    Virtual PC - allows you to run multiple operating systems at the same time
    on the same PC without rebooting or partitioning your disk.

    http://www.connectix.com/

    Unfortunately Microsoft Corporation has purchased Virtual PC or Connectix so
    your choice should be pretty easy to make.

    MB

    MB, Oct 25, 2003