    Searches I've done have yielded some confusion so one of you experts might be
    able to put it into a context I can grock. If anyone knows it, you-all do...

    Thanks in advance!

    Wade365, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Wade365 wrote:
    > If I have a machine which will play NTSC regions, which then are excluded
    > (PAL)? What will I be unable to play? I have noticed that the Hong Kong and
    > Japanese discs I own already are marked NTSC region 3 and NTSC region 2
    > respectively... I've seen it talked about but have forgotten what the
    > difference is, something to do with the televisions?
    >
    > The reason why I ask is I have found a piece of software (possibly) which will
    > allow "playback of all NTSC regions" for my Xbox, but I don't want it if it's
    > not going to play my Asian discs, and I'd like to be able to order stuff from
    > England or Australia should the need arise (there are some programs being
    > released in those countries I doubt a US market exsists for)...
    >
    > Searches I've done have yielded some confusion so one of you experts might be
    > able to put it into a context I can grock. If anyone knows it, you-all do...
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Assuming you're referring to XDVD, the XBox should handle both the
    region change and the PAL/NTSC conversion without a problem. A better
    place for this question is the forums on www.xbox-scene.com

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Wade365

    anthony Guest

    If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
    won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as those
    markets are PAL format.
    You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I think
    most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

    anthony, Oct 9, 2003
  4. On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, (anthony) wrote:

    >If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
    >won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as those
    >markets are PAL format.
    >You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I think
    >most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

    Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Wade365

    Wade365 Guest

    Thanks.

    Wade365, Oct 9, 2003
  6. On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:15:08 +0200, Mischa van Dinter
    <> wrote:

    >On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, (anthony) wrote:
    >
    >>If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
    >>won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as those
    >>markets are PAL format.
    >>You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I think
    >>most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

    >Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.

    South Korea is NTSC, by its nature of once being a USD proctectorate.
    The TV service was started by US engineers.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 9, 2003
  7. Wade365

    ThePunisher Guest

    Mischa van Dinter wrote:
    > On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, (anthony) wrote:
    >
    > > If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
    > > won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as
    > > those markets are PAL format.
    > > You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I
    > > think most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

    > Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
    >
    > Mischa

    Hong Kong is PAL

    --
    ThePunisher

    ThePunisher, Oct 10, 2003
  8. >Hong Kong is PAL

    >--
    >ThePunisher

    I've seen Hong Kong Region 3 DVDs in both PAL and NTSC; all of the DVDs I've
    purchased from HK have been in NTSC. Caveat emptor, I guess.

    Robert Morgan, Oct 11, 2003
  9. On 11 Oct 2003 06:17:19 GMT, robozz (Robert Morgan)
    wrote:

    >>Hong Kong is PAL
    >>
    >>--
    >>ThePunisher

    >I've seen Hong Kong Region 3 DVDs in both PAL and NTSC; all of the DVDs I've
    >purchased from HK have been in NTSC. Caveat emptor, I guess.

    All of the Hong Kong Laserdisc releases I know of are NTSC, for
    instance the rare Hong Kong rental release of "Song of the South."
    Officially China is PAL, but Hong Kong seems to have adopted the
    American broadcast system, depite being a British protectorate.

    .Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 11, 2003
  10. Wade365

    anthony Guest

    Yes, Hong Kong is definitely PAL

    anthony, Oct 11, 2003
  11. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
    <> wrote:

    >Mischa van Dinter wrote:
    >> On 8 Oct 2003 23:39:27 -0700, (anthony) wrote:
    >>
    >> > If the software only allows play of NTSC regions, then you certainly
    >> > won't be able to play REgion 2 Britain or Region 4 Australia, as
    >> > those markets are PAL format.
    >> > You will though be able to play Region 2 Japan, which is NTSC. I
    >> > think most Region 3 (Asia) are PAL.

    >> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
    >>
    >> Mischa

    >Hong Kong is PAL

    Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
    Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
    send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 11, 2003
  12. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:59:42 +0200, Mischa van Dinter
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Mischa van Dinter wrote:

    >>> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
    >>>
    >>> Mischa

    >>Hong Kong is PAL

    >Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
    >Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
    >send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.

    The official broadcast standard of China and Hong Kong is PAL with 6
    Mhz sound offset. Most consumers in Hong Kong have multi-standard
    TV's and players so that they may watch international media. Hong
    Kong-made films, from an industry only third in production volume
    behind first India then the US, are telecine'd to NTSC for the
    American, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese markets, which are all NTSC.
    China, the only Asian country (besides Singapore) using PAL, has not
    historically been a big buyer of Hong Kong or Japanese product. HK
    discs and tapes are therefore generally produced in NTSC to avoid the
    necessity of standards conversion to and from preferred markets.
    Incidently this is why Hong Kong DVD's are not Region-coded, they have
    a geographically diverse target market. Hong Kong is probably unique
    in having consumer and production support for a video standard
    distinct from its broadcast standard.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 11, 2003
  13. Mischa van Dinter <> writes:

    > On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Mischa van Dinter wrote:

    > >> Hong Kong is NTSC. Not sure about S-Korea, or the other R3 markets.
    > >>
    > >> Mischa

    > >Hong Kong is PAL

    > Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
    > Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
    > send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.
    >
    > Mischa

    I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
    was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
    shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.

    Here's a table:
    http://kropla.com/tv.htm

    Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
    on the other hand is NTSC.

    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Oct 11, 2003
  14. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 05:57:24 -0400, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >>Dude, I have been buying DVDs from Hong Kong for years. I have been to
    >>Hong Kong last july and bought DVDs there. Trust me, it is NTSC. I can
    >>send you pictures of the logo on the covers if you don't believe me.

    >The official broadcast standard of China and Hong Kong is PAL with 6
    >Mhz sound offset. Most consumers in Hong Kong have multi-standard
    >TV's and players so that they may watch international media. Hong
    >Kong-made films, from an industry only third in production volume
    >behind first India then the US, are telecine'd to NTSC for the
    >American, Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese markets, which are all NTSC.
    >China, the only Asian country (besides Singapore) using PAL, has not
    >historically been a big buyer of Hong Kong or Japanese product. HK
    >discs and tapes are therefore generally produced in NTSC to avoid the
    >necessity of standards conversion to and from preferred markets.
    >Incidently this is why Hong Kong DVD's are not Region-coded, they have
    >a geographically diverse target market. Hong Kong is probably unique
    >in having consumer and production support for a video standard
    >distinct from its broadcast standard.
    >
    > . Steve ..

    That is probably true, but the guy was asking about the DVDs bought
    there, not the broadcasting standard. I'm pretty sure he is not trying
    to receive broadcasts from Hong Kong.

    Although I must admit that I was not aware of the difference in
    broadcasting standard and video standard. I did know China was PAL but
    assumed that, like the DVDs there, KH was NTSC. A chinese friend of
    mine has a large collection of Chinese discs and all these are also
    NTSC (not PAL and never code 6), but I must assume that because these
    are mostly bootlegs the bootleggers probably just copied the original
    US discs.

    It does however seem that not all DVD producers play along with this,
    lots of discs are region coded. Probably to keep the cheap discs out
    of Japan, especially for non-KH productions that have different
    distributors in Japan. I would, however, explain the Japanese
    subtitles on, say, The Killer (Universe Laser version).

    So to summarize: HK has the PAL broadcast standard, but uses NTSC as
    the video standard. Most discs are not region coded. So, Americans who
    use NTSC and Europeans who often have multi-standard equipment, should
    be able to buy and view all those wonderfully cheap HK DVDs, from,
    say, www.dddhouse.com.

    grt
    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 11, 2003
  15. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:16:18 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
    <-to-reply> wrote:

    >I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
    >was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
    >shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.

    I have seen a Dutch DVD of Night of the Living Dead which was NTSC R0,
    while the Netherlands is PAL. Most Europeans use multistandard
    equiment.

    >Here's a table:
    >http://kropla.com/tv.htm
    >
    >Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
    >on the other hand is NTSC.

    Yep, got that explained to me by Steve. Never knew they used different
    standards for broadcast and home video. But now that I think about it,
    I did watch a little TV in HK and I should have noticed that the
    picture quality was way too good to be NTSC ;-)

    Mischa

    Mischa van Dinter, Oct 11, 2003
  16. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:16:18 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
    <-to-reply> wrote:

    >Mischa van Dinter <> writes:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:44:41 +0100, "ThePunisher"
    >> <> wrote:

    >I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
    >was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
    >shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.
    >
    >Here's a table:
    >http://kropla.com/tv.htm

    This one appears a little more accurate.

    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/broadcast.html

    . Steve ...

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 11, 2003
  17. On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:05:50 +0200, Mischa van Dinter
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:16:18 GMT, Thomas Tornblom
    ><-to-reply> wrote:
    >

    >>I have seen Deutsche Grammophon DVD:s (opera) in Munich being NTSC. It
    >>was all-regions, but Germany is PAL only, so what you see in local
    >>shops is not necessarily an indication of the local TV-system.
    >>

    >I have seen a Dutch DVD of Night of the Living Dead which was NTSC R0,
    >while the Netherlands is PAL. Most Europeans use multistandard
    >equiment.
    >
    >>Here's a table:
    >>http://kropla.com/tv.htm
    >>
    >>Hong-Kong is apparently PAL I, while mainland China is PAL D. Taiwan
    >>on the other hand is NTSC.

    >Yep, got that explained to me by Steve. Never knew they used different
    >standards for broadcast and home video. But now that I think about it,
    >I did watch a little TV in HK and I should have noticed that the
    >picture quality was way too good to be NTSC ;-)

    PALis not innately superior to NTSC, since PAL IS NTSC. Here's a
    comparison..

    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/compare.html

    The Hong Kong "Video Standard" is PAL, however producers generally
    market films in NTSC for the vast export segment.

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 11, 2003
  18. Wade365

    Frode Guest