    of buying one anyway? I figure it would be more likely to "see" the signal
    from the NTSC tape than my PCTV. Especially through a scart.

    Help?

    Gorbag, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Gorbag

    me Guest

    "Gorbag" <> wrote in message
    news:4373b5aa$0$24771$...
    >I have a NTSC VHS tape which I want to convert to DVD. I have a Pinnacle
    >PCTV USB 2 tuner which allows me to capture from VHS. No problem with PAL
    >tapes. But my NTSC tape will not work with the PCTV thing at all. I`ve
    >tried tuning in both PAL and NTSC modes. The NTSC tape plays fine on my VCR
    >through my telly. So it`s weird the PCTV won`t tune to it. The VCR plays
    >NTSC through a PAL TV.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if a DVD Recorder would be a better option? Been
    > thinking of buying one anyway? I figure it would be more likely to "see"
    > the signal from the NTSC tape than my PCTV. Especially through a scart.
    >
    > Help?

    I take it you are in the UK.
    Maybe its just as simple as the tuner wont allow NTSC sources to be
    recorded.Not all tuner cards/capture cards allow both PAL and NTSC
    recording.
    I had a similar problem when i bought a PC with an ATI TV card in the US.It
    only allowed NTSC to be recorded,not PAL,although it did allow me to watch
    PAL signals through it,but when i hit the record button...nitto.It recorded
    the audio and the top half of the picture,but that was it.
    Bit of a bummer because i wanted to transfer a bunch of PAL tapes to DVD.
    Why not get in touch with the support people and ask them if it is meant to
    support NTSC in record mode.?

    i got round the problem by buying a Plextor ConvertX capture box,it works
    great and gives great results and you can capture PAL and NTSC,in Mpeg1/2/4
    and DivX,with varying bitrates,and Mp2 or MP3 audio.Capture what you want
    and edit on the PC. You can get much better results than you can with a DVD
    recorder,but if you do decide to get a DVD recorder,dont bother with Scart
    leads,use the red/white/yellow or red/white/s-video leads instead,as you
    will get better results that way.
    Scart leads are just for convenience and offer no improvement in quality.

    me, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Gorbag

    Gorbag Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message

    > "Gorbag" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a NTSC VHS tape which I want to convert to DVD. I have a Pinnacle
    >>PCTV USB 2 tuner which allows me to capture from VHS. No problem with PAL
    >>tapes. But my NTSC tape will not work with the PCTV thing at all. I`ve
    >>tried tuning in both PAL and NTSC modes. The NTSC tape plays fine on my
    >>VCR through my telly. So it`s weird the PCTV won`t tune to it. The VCR
    >>plays NTSC through a PAL TV.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if a DVD Recorder would be a better option? Been
    >> thinking of buying one anyway? I figure it would be more likely to "see"
    >> the signal from the NTSC tape than my PCTV. Especially through a scart.
    >>
    >> Help?

    > I take it you are in the UK.
    > Maybe its just as simple as the tuner wont allow NTSC sources to be
    > recorded.Not all tuner cards/capture cards allow both PAL and NTSC
    > recording.
    > I had a similar problem when i bought a PC with an ATI TV card in the
    > US.It only allowed NTSC to be recorded,not PAL,although it did allow me to
    > watch PAL signals through it,but when i hit the record button...nitto.It
    > recorded the audio and the top half of the picture,but that was it.
    > Bit of a bummer because i wanted to transfer a bunch of PAL tapes to DVD.
    > Why not get in touch with the support people and ask them if it is meant
    > to support NTSC in record mode.?
    >
    > i got round the problem by buying a Plextor ConvertX capture box,it works
    > great and gives great results and you can capture PAL and NTSC,in
    > Mpeg1/2/4 and DivX,with varying bitrates,and Mp2 or MP3 audio.Capture what
    > you want and edit on the PC. You can get much better results than you can
    > with a DVD recorder,but if you do decide to get a DVD recorder,dont bother
    > with Scart leads,use the red/white/yellow or red/white/s-video leads
    > instead,as you will get better results that way.
    > Scart leads are just for convenience and offer no improvement in quality.

    Thanks for that. Turns out it was the USB PCTV Tuner. Only works with PAL.
    I bought a PCI TV Tuner Card for £40 from PCWorld that works with both NTSC
    and PAL and it works a treat. Sorted.

    Gorbag, Nov 12, 2005