NTSC TV brought to Europe - what recorder to buy?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Just Enduser, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. Just Enduser

    Just Enduser Guest

    Hi,
    I will be returning from the US to Europe with my Sony KDL-V40XBR1 40"
    HD BRAVIA purchased in the US. This TV is a NTSC only TV (which I did
    not realize until recently - the TV is a 110/220V 50Hz/60Hz TV and
    this fact tricked me). Luckily one of the satellite providers in my
    country assures me that one of their satellite decoders can output the
    signal in NTSC and I should have no problem using the TV. I also have
    Samsung DVD that plays both PAL and NTSC DVDs without any problems.
    The last piece of the puzzle is to find a DVD / DVDR recorder.

    The primary use of the recorder will be to be able to record a program
    from the satellite. I know I could buy any of the US recorders and I
    would be all set. The problem is that I refuse to use an external
    power adapter and I cannot find a US recorder that has dual voltage. I
    looked at some of the units offerred by the 220V or overseas
    electronics web stores but most of these recorders get bad ratings on
    the web or those that may have decent ratings are sold at absolutely
    prohibitive prices.

    I am also wondering about macrovision issues resulting in my inability
    to record certain programs but I will need to check with some local
    forums whether this protection is used back home.

    The second option is to buy the recorder after returning to Europe but
    I am just not sure if it is going to be able to record and then play
    the NTSC signal.

    I would much appreciate suggestions of specific models that would work
    (and with decent ratings). If the recorder can have the disc, it would
    be nice but I would also consider just a DVD recorder. I would rather
    purchase a unit without the TV tuner because I would not be able to
    use it in any case (PAL tuner will not play on my TV; NTSC tuner is
    useless in Europe) - however I realize I may need to forgo this
    preference. As long as the recorder has input jacks, e.g. S-video,
    allowing to record the NTSC signal from an outside device, i.e.
    satellite decoder, I will be fine.

    Thanks again for help!

    Just Enduser, Jan 27, 2008

  2. Just Enduser

    Keith Guest

    Check out these (and others):

    * Lite-ON International LVW-5115PN PAL/NTSC DVD Recorder, NTSC
    Tuner, Dual-Voltage $129
    * Daytek DVR-3101 PAL/NTSC Code Free DVD Recorder, USB-Firewire,
    NTSC Tuner, Dual-Voltage $149
    * LG DVR-275 International Version PAL/NTSC DVD Recorder, PAL Tuner,
    Dual-Voltage $229
    * Daytek DVR-3101 PAL/NTSC Region-Free MacroVision-Free DVD
    recorder, NTSC Tuner, Dual Voltage $289

    I found them at World-Import.com,
    http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm.

    Cheerio,

    Keith

    Keith, Jan 27, 2008

  3. Keith - thanks for the suggestions. Lite-ON LVW-5115 gets 2.5 stars on
    Amazon, so it is rather a non-starter. I could not find any user
    opinions on Daytek DVR-3101 or LG DVR-275. Perhaps I could give it a
    try although by principle I do not like buy things without learning
    what others think about it. These two units seem to be only available
    at those 220V stores. They do not seem to be regularly available
    models in any country. There is no mention on them on newsgroups. If
    anybody had an experience with those, can you please share?

    Keith - in any case, I appreciate your post.

    Posiadacz TV NTSC, Jan 27, 2008
  4. Just Enduser

    Just Enduser Guest

    sorry - I realized that I posted my response under a different user.
    Sorry about the confusion - I was just posting the same message on a
    foreign language group and had to change the user.

    Just Enduser, Jan 27, 2008
  5. Just Enduser

    Just Enduser Guest

    Just Enduser, Jan 27, 2008
  6. Just Enduser

    kaboom Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:27:31 -0800, Just Enduser <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I will be returning from the US to Europe with my Sony KDL-V40XBR1 40"
    >HD BRAVIA purchased in the US. This TV is a NTSC only TV (which I did
    >not realize until recently - the TV is a 110/220V 50Hz/60Hz TV and
    >this fact tricked me). Luckily one of the satellite providers in my
    >country assures me that one of their satellite decoders can output the
    >signal in NTSC and I should have no problem using the TV. I also have
    >Samsung DVD that plays both PAL and NTSC DVDs without any problems.
    >The last piece of the puzzle is to find a DVD / DVDR recorder.

    **Try poking around World Import. A few years back, I bought a
    multi-system VCR and a PAL/NTSC converter with no problems. They are
    in the Chicago area if you live near there, you can visit them.

    http://www.world-import.com/index.htm

    Even though it says panasonic dvd-r, it's really the DVD recorder
    page.
    http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

    I'm thinking about picking up a recorder from them because you can get
    namebrand models (Pioneer/Panasonic) with the hard drive. Why they no
    longer sell them (namebrand models with a HDD) in the US is beyond me,
    but it ticks me off.

    Hope this helps,

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Jan 28, 2008
  7. Just Enduser

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:33:05 GMT, (kaboom)
    wrote:

    >Even though it says panasonic dvd-r, it's really the DVD recorder
    >page.
    >http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm
    >
    >I'm thinking about picking up a recorder from them because you can get
    >namebrand models (Pioneer/Panasonic) with the hard drive. Why they no
    >longer sell them (namebrand models with a HDD) in the US is beyond me,
    >but it ticks me off.
    >
    >Hope this helps,
    >
    >kaboomie

    Can you recommend one with a hard drive that is reliable and
    infalliable:>)
    Regards
    buddy b

    , Feb 3, 2008
  8. Just Enduser

    kaboom Guest

    On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 04:20:13 GMT, wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 01:33:05 GMT, (kaboom)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Even though it says panasonic dvd-r, it's really the DVD recorder
    >>page.
    >>http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm
    >>
    >>I'm thinking about picking up a recorder from them because you can get
    >>namebrand models (Pioneer/Panasonic) with the hard drive. Why they no
    >>longer sell them (namebrand models with a HDD) in the US is beyond me,
    >>but it ticks me off.

    >Can you recommend one with a hard drive that is reliable and
    >infalliable:>)

    **Nothing is infallible. :) Reliable? Hmmm, not a Panasonic. I have a
    Panasonic e85 with a 120G hard drive and it's glitchy as hell. I've
    learned to work with and around the electronic burps. Recently, I
    looked into a Panasonic DVD recorder with no HDD (DMREZ27K) and it has
    the same problem with freezing and general glitchiness. You'd think,
    after all this time, somebody would fix this problem with the
    machines. Lately, it seems that an engineer's (or, more likely, a
    beancounter's) idea of correcting bugginess in today's electronics is
    to have *me* unplug it and plug it back in.

    The HDD models that are available off of the shelf today are models
    like Philips, Polaroid, Magnavox and RCA. I can't vouch for any of
    them. I might try a Pioneer if I buy from World Import but I would do
    a lot of reference work first before picking up a recorder.

    kaboomie

    kaboom, Feb 5, 2008
  9. Just Enduser

    Presentense

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    The reason why Datek 3101 doesn't have reviews is it just came into market.
    If you are interested in a unit with hard drive consider buying something like 3101 that has firewire and USB. You can pay $150 for the 3101, and but a 500 Gig USB or firewire Hard drive for $120 something like Lacie (64 ounces) external. With a total of $270 you have nearly $1000.00 system. Check it out; this is what I am planning to do because I don'lt mind a 2 piece system.

    Presentense, Feb 17, 2008