NTSC/PAL Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Inv, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Inv

    Inv Guest

    Hi,
    I am moving from the USA (which uses NTSC) to a country which uses
    PAL. My relocation is being paid for.

    I have a dv6t844b Daewoo DVD/VHS Combo player. I am a little confused
    whether this will work in the new country or not i.e. I will be buying
    PAL TV once I get there. I understand that my video cassettes
    themselves
    won't work but what about the player itself - will it work? Will I be
    able
    to play video cassettes/dvd's I purchase out there - ignoring Region
    Encoding
    itself?

    I have a VCD which I have imported from this country - it's not
    written
    anywhere on the VCD whether it's NTSC or PAL. However I am able to play
    this
    VCD on my Daewoo player in my US GE Television. What does this mean?
    Does
    this mean that my TV also supports PAL? Or that VCD's don't have
    formats?
    Or my player is converting the format or what?

    I am rather confused - can someone who knows a lot more about these
    things
    please answer my questions.

    Thank you in advance.

    Chrissy.

    Inv, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Inv

    Guest

    Inv wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am moving from the USA (which uses NTSC) to a country which uses
    > PAL. My relocation is being paid for.
    >
    > I have a dv6t844b Daewoo DVD/VHS Combo player. I am a little

    confused
    > whether this will work in the new country or not i.e. I will be

    buying
    > PAL TV once I get there. I understand that my video cassettes
    > themselves
    > won't work but what about the player itself - will it work? Will I be
    > able
    > to play video cassettes/dvd's I purchase out there - ignoring Region
    > Encoding
    > itself?
    >
    > I have a VCD which I have imported from this country - it's not
    > written
    > anywhere on the VCD whether it's NTSC or PAL. However I am able to

    play
    > this
    > VCD on my Daewoo player in my US GE Television. What does this mean?
    > Does
    > this mean that my TV also supports PAL? Or that VCD's don't have
    > formats?
    > Or my player is converting the format or what?
    >
    > I am rather confused - can someone who knows a lot more about these
    > things
    > please answer my questions.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Chrissy.

    This blurb from http://www.coolvcd.com/info.htm should answer your
    question:

    What is the difference between NTSC and PAL?
    There are two TV video standards, NTSC and PAL. NTSC is used in North
    America, and PAL is used almost everywhere else in the world. Most
    hardware devices (DVD or VCD players) that play PAL video resolution
    out on a NTSC monitor correctly will cut approximately 24 lines of
    resolution from the top and bottom of a PAL image.
    Almost all VCDs are in PAL resolution, as they are manufactured in
    Asia. This is usually not an issue, because not much details are lost
    by such truncation.
    Note : NTSC has 352 X 240 video resolution and PAL's video resolution
    is 352 X 288. This PAL to NTSC video conversion / truncation problem
    does not exist when viewed on a PC monitor as the PC just displays the
    whole image. Nowadyas, most TVs and DVD players are multisync, meaning
    that it will play both NTSC or PAL format, thus VCDs in PAL format will
    play well on these players.

    , Apr 5, 2005

  3. Inv

    Biz Guest

    Probably not. You definitely wont be able to play tapes there, they are all
    PAL. And I dont think you can buy many if any multi-standard VCR's in the
    US. Your current VCR tapes will work fine in that player, and all your NTSC
    dvds you currently have will work as well. As long as the tv you buy is PAL
    and NTSC compatible, most anything you buy in Europe is both, as long as you
    arent buying the cheapest crap you can find...

    Biz, Apr 5, 2005
  4. Inv

    Netmask Guest

    Most gear in PAL countries (I'm in Oz) is NTSC/PAL , TV's and DVD/VHS
    units. I have a combo that also records in NTSC if you want to. It cost
    au$299.
    According to the product web page your dv6t844b Daewoo is PAL/NTSC
    compatible.
    So all you need to make sure is your new TV is PAL/NTSC compatible.
    You may even be able to play your existing VHS tapes. I can play VHS tapes
    my cousin used to send me from NY without difficulty.
    Also check that your DVD is multi-voltage ie it automatically senses 110 or
    240 volts

    Netmask, Apr 5, 2005
  5. Inv

    Inv Guest

    Netmask wrote:
    > Most gear in PAL countries (I'm in Oz) is NTSC/PAL , TV's and

    DVD/VHS
    > units. I have a combo that also records in NTSC if you want to. It

    cost
    > au$299.
    > According to the product web page your dv6t844b Daewoo is PAL/NTSC
    > compatible.

    What exactly is meant by PAL/NTSC compatible?
    Does it mean it can play tapes/dvds recorded in either format.
    Or does it mean that it can output video in either format?
    Or does it mean both?

    i.e. Maybe the Player can play a PAL Format Video/Disc, but in what
    format will it output to the TV - i.e. will it output in the format the
    tape was recorded in - or can you choose what it will output?

    Inv, Apr 5, 2005
  6. Inv

    Netmask Guest

    Okay - when I play a NTSC tape in my VCR it outputs a NTSC signal. My TV is
    NTSC/PAL/SECAM savvy so the tape plays just as if I was sitting in New York
    instead of Sydney Oz. (on the DVD side it is region free)

    Now some VCR's do an actual conversion and pump out a PAL signal when you
    are playing a NTSC tape. I can't answer your question on this re your
    machine go to the web site and do a search. Mine simply recognises the input
    format and puts out the same so I'm dependant on my TV's capabilities to
    view.

    So it is important that your new TV is NTSC and PAL capable to cover all
    possibilities.

    On my other DVD player a Zensonic (plays DivX file movies) you can actually
    toggle between NTSC and PAL whilst playing. If my PAL TV was not compatible
    then the signal would go haywire during NTSC moments. The Zensonic is also
    region free and seems to be able to play anything you throw at it.

    From what I gather PAL countries do have more options at lower cost than in
    the USA so a purchase of a good PAL TV receiver may be a good investment on
    your return. Do your sums!!!!

    On VCD's before the advent of DivX I used to make heaps of family vcd's on
    my computer and by force of habit when rendering used PAL format and then
    post them to New York never had a complaint.

    Netmask, Apr 5, 2005
  7. Inv

    Darkknight Guest

    try going into your menus for both the DVD part and also the VHS part,
    if they can be changed to Pal there is a good chance it will work.
    You don't say what country you are going to, you also have to be aware
    of the mains voltage US is 110 volt whereas Australia is 240 volt and
    ithink the UK is 220 volt. so this will aso be a problem, you'd probably
    be better off getting new equipment

    Darkknight, Apr 5, 2005
  8. Inv

    Gogarty Guest

    In article <4252ac32$>,
    says...

    >try going into your menus for both the DVD part and also the VHS part,
    >if they can be changed to Pal there is a good chance it will work.
    >You don't say what country you are going to, you also have to be aware
    >of the mains voltage US is 110 volt whereas Australia is 240 volt and
    >ithink the UK is 220 volt. so this will aso be a problem, you'd probably
    >be better off getting new equipment

    The frequency is different too. 60 Hz in the US, 50 Hz in Europe.

    I have been making DVDs to send to friends in Europe. I make them to PAL
    format from NTSC VHS tape so they won't have any problem running them. But
    to my surprise, they run perfectly well on my NTSC system here.

    Gogarty, Apr 5, 2005
  9. Inv

    Rob McIntyre Guest

    Computer DVD-ROMs can play both Pal & NTSC video format DVDs, provided it's
    region 0 or the region you're drive had been programmed to play.

    Rob McIntyre (Ottawa,Canada) / do you want to BUYMUSIC.CA ?

    Rob McIntyre, Apr 6, 2005
  10. Inv

    Guest

    1. Check if your player 220V/60Hz compatible.
    If Yes, go to 2. If Not, don't take it with you.

    2. In your new country buy yourself NTSC-compatible TV set (it may be
    called 17-sysem or multisystem, may not say anything on that matter).
    Please note most likely you won't be able to use tuner in your player,
    i.e. you won't be able to record TV programs off-air through cable. You
    won't be able to play commercial DVD's purchased outside of North
    America unless you hack your machine, see http://dvdhelp.com.

    3. VCD from all the world would normally play in NTSC players, it does
    not say much about the player.

    Make your video watchable with www.WorldVideo.ca

    , Apr 8, 2005