    Server? Can i configure an 1800 or worse an 871 as an NTP server.

    Regards,

    Kiran

    snowy, Mar 19, 2008

  2. snowy

    Guest

    On 19 Mar, 11:06, snowy <> wrote:
    > HI All,
    >
    > Which is the smallest Cisco router that can be configured as an NTP
    > Server? Can i configure an 1800 or worse an 871 as an NTP server.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kiran

    I am sure that an 871 or 1800 will be able to be an NTP server

    I have just checked and a 877 *with* Advanced IP Services
    Feature Set can be an NTP Server. I have an active
    association with it now.

    I have the idea that the basic 870 Feature Set can
    not be an NTP client - SNTP only. No idea about server
    but my guess is not.

    www.cisco.com/go/fn you need to register and maybe
    need a commercial relationship with Cisco too.

    In general all features work across all platforms
    83x upwards.

    , Mar 19, 2008

  3. snowy

    snowy Guest

    On Mar 19, 3:42 pm, wrote:
    > On 19 Mar, 11:06, snowy <> wrote:
    >
    > > HI All,

    > > Which is the smallest Cisco router that can be configured as an NTP
    > > Server? Can i configure an 1800 or worse an 871 as an NTP server.

    > > Regards,

    > > Kiran

    > I am sure that an 871 or 1800 will be able to be an NTP server
    >
    > I have just checked and a 877 *with* Advanced IP Services
    > Feature Set can be an NTP Server. I have an active
    > association with it now.
    >
    > I have the idea that the basic 870 Feature Set can
    > not be an NTP client - SNTP only. No idea about server
    > but my guess is not.
    >
    > www.cisco.com/go/fn you need to register and maybe
    > need a commercial relationship with Cisco too.
    >
    > In general all features work across all platforms
    > 83x upwards.

    Thank you

    snowy, Mar 19, 2008
  4. snowy

    Guest

    On 19 Mar, 11:48, snowy <> wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 3:42 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > On 19 Mar, 11:06, snowy <> wrote:

    > > > HI All,

    > > > Which is the smallest Cisco router that can be configured as an NTP
    > > > Server? Can i configure an 1800 or worse an 871 as an NTP server.

    > > > Regards,

    > > > Kiran

    > > I am sure that an 871 or 1800 will be able to be an NTP server

    > > I have just checked and a 877 *with* Advanced IP Services
    > > Feature Set can be an NTP Server. I have an active
    > > association with it now.

    > > I have the idea that the basic 870 Feature Set can
    > > not be an NTP client - SNTP only. No idea about server
    > > but my guess is not.

    > >www.cisco.com/go/fn you need to register and maybe
    > > need a commercial relationship with Cisco too.

    > > In general all features work across all platforms
    > > 83x upwards.

    > Thank you- Hide quoted text -

    Of course - an 870 has no battery backed clock of its own and
    I would expect it to be a pretty terrible time reference.
    Perhaps drifting by hours a year.

    No idea about an 1800 - Iwould guess no clock there either but
    I am not at all sure.

    , Mar 19, 2008
  5. snowy

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Of course - an 870 has no battery backed clock of its own and
    > I would expect it to be a pretty terrible time reference.
    > Perhaps drifting by hours a year.
    >
    > No idea about an 1800 - Iwould guess no clock there either but
    > I am not at all sure.

    But you could sync it to an external source - there seem to be plenty of
    public ntp sources out there.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Mar 19, 2008
  6. snowy

    News Reader Guest

    snowy wrote:
    > HI All,
    >
    > Which is the smallest Cisco router that can be configured as an NTP
    > Server? Can i configure an 1800 or worse an 871 as an NTP server.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kiran

    Have been using the NTP Server on an 806 for years.

    Currently using c806-k9o3sy6-mz.123-8.T11.bin, but the server function
    existed in much earlier releases of the IOS as well.

    It's sync'd with an external time source (Internet), and is used to sync
    the hosts on the internal network.

    No issues.

    Best regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Mar 19, 2008
  7. snowy

    Tosh Guest

    > But you could sync it to an external source - there seem to be plenty of
    > public ntp sources out there.

    Of course you can sync the router to an external source, but if you are
    running time based services (as acl's) you can have unpredictable behaviours
    without a hardware calendar after a reboot.
    Bye,
    Tosh.

    Tosh, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Tosh wrote:

    >> But you could sync it to an external source - there seem to be plenty of
    >> public ntp sources out there.
    >>

    > Of course you can sync the router to an external source, but if you are
    > running time based services (as acl's) you can have unpredictable
    > behaviours without a hardware calendar after a reboot.
    > Bye,
    > Tosh.

    Not really, just include a time-based ACL that allows only NTP through if
    the date is before some time well in the past. Last time I checked, routers
    without a clock were very consistent about setting the time to their
    concept of "the dawn of creation" whenever rebooting. Once NTP sets the
    time correctly (and to the present era) your ACLs will have the correct
    time and work correctly.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Apr 3, 2008