    17:22:44.653 UTC Thu Sep 7 2006

    Still shows time out of sync.

    Do i have to reload for it to sync?
    tony, Sep 7, 2006

  2. In article <edpkkj$jsn$>, tony <> wrote:
    >I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
    >server.

    >ntp peer timeserver
    >ntp server timeserver
    >ntp peer timeserver

    >Still shows time out of sync.

    >Do i have to reload for it to sync?

    If you have access control lists, you may need to adjust them to
    permit the ntp packets through.
    Walter Roberson, Sep 7, 2006

  3. tony

    tony Guest

    no acls in place. how do I manually sync the time?

    tony, Sep 7, 2006
  4. tony

    Guest

    tony wrote:
    > no acls in place. how do I manually sync the time?
    > "Walter Roberson" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <edpkkj$jsn$>, tony <> wrote:
    > >>I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
    > >>server.

    > >>ntp peer timeserver
    > >>ntp server timeserver
    > >>ntp peer timeserver

    > >>Still shows time out of sync.

    > >>Do i have to reload for it to sync?

    > > If you have access control lists, you may need to adjust them to
    > > permit the ntp packets through.

    System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin"
    cisco WS-C4506

    R1#sh run | inc ntp

    ntp update-calendar ! 4500 has battery backed clock, I think
    ! so update it from NTP. NOT ESSENTIAL.
    ntp server 192.168.4.23 prefer
    ntp server 192.168.6.23
    R1#sh ntp ass

    address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
    disp
    +~192.168.4.23 x.15.9.3 5 39 64 377 0.8 149.13
    3.6
    *~192.168.6.23 x.15.9.3 4 8 64 377 1.1 164.20
    13.4
    * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
    configured

    If you added manually anything like
    ntp clock-period 17179223
    delete it. It is computed automatically.

    Beware windows 2000 and earlier had some problem with
    its built in SNTP server and it did not work with Cisco.
    , Sep 7, 2006
  5. tony

    Merv Guest

    can you ping the NTP server ?

    does debug ntp shows NTPpackets being transmittted and received ?

    there have been IOS bugs that required removing all of the ntp commands
    and then re-inputting them in order to getclock sync
    Merv, Sep 7, 2006
  6. tony

    Guest

    Merv wrote:
    > can you ping the NTP server ?
    >
    > does debug ntp shows NTPpackets being transmittted and received ?
    >
    > there have been IOS bugs that required removing all of the ntp commands
    > and then re-inputting them in order to getclock sync

    If you had another router you could configure it
    to be an NTP server.

    R1#

    conf t
    ntp master 1

    R2#
    ntp server address-of-R1

    For example -

    R2#sh run | inc ntp server
    ntp server 172.31.1.3

    R2#sh ntp ass

    address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
    disp
    ~172.31.1.3 0.0.0.0 16 44 64 0 0.0 0.00
    16000.
    * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
    configured

    Note - no association indicated above.

    e.g.
    R1(config)#ntp master 1
    R1(config)#^Z
    R1#sh ntp ass

    address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
    disp
    *~127.127.7.1 .LOCL. 0 26 64 377 0.0 0.00
    0.0
    * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
    configured
    R1#

    Wait until NTP does it's thing. Best actually to remove
    and re-install ntp config on R2 otherwise you may
    have to wait a long time.

    R2#sh ntp ass
    address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
    disp
    *~172.31.1.3 .LOCL. 1 10 64 17 80.2 3.00
    1883.9
    * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
    configured
    R2#

    Note that we now have a "master" indicated by "*".
    , Sep 7, 2006
  7. tony

    Thrill5 Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > tony wrote:
    >> no acls in place. how do I manually sync the time?
    >> "Walter Roberson" <> wrote in message

    >> > If you have access control lists, you may need to adjust them to
    >> > permit the ntp packets through.

    > System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122-25.EWA5.bin"
    > cisco WS-C4506
    >
    > R1#sh run | inc ntp
    >
    > ntp update-calendar ! 4500 has battery backed clock, I think
    > ! so update it from NTP. NOT ESSENTIAL.
    > ntp server 192.168.4.23 prefer
    > ntp server 192.168.6.23
    > R1#sh ntp ass
    >
    > address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset
    > disp
    > +~192.168.4.23 x.15.9.3 5 39 64 377 0.8 149.13
    > 3.6
    > *~192.168.6.23 x.15.9.3 4 8 64 377 1.1 164.20
    > 13.4
    > * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
    > configured
    >
    > If you added manually anything like
    > ntp clock-period 17179223
    > delete it. It is computed automatically.
    >
    > Beware windows 2000 and earlier had some problem with
    > its built in SNTP server and it did not work with Cisco.

    You are getting time from both time servers. You don't have your timezone
    set on the switch (it is showing the time in UTC) so maybe you think the
    time is off because it off by the number of hours from GMT? In any event
    you should set the timezone properly on the switch. However, if this is not
    the problem, how far off is the time? If it is off by a couple of hours, it
    can literally take weeks, for it to sync up properly.

    To fix this, set the correct timezone on switch, remove the NTP statements
    from the config, remove any statements about "clock period", manually set
    the time on the switch to within a couple of minutes, add the ntp server
    statements back.

    The time should sync up to a few milliseconds within an hour or two.

    Scott
    Thrill5, Sep 7, 2006
  8. tony

    Dom Guest

    On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 10:24 -0700, tony wrote:
    > I want ot configure all my switches to regularly sync time with a time
    > server.

    Here's from a 2950. Exact same config on the 1605r, too.

    clock timezone CST -6
    clock summer-time CDT recurring

    ntp server 192.168.102.7
    ntp server 192.168.102.1