    Come to think of all these headaches is it really worth going into XP64?

    Regs
    Vinod

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Boot off your Windows XP Professional x64 CD
    In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery
    console.
    Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the
    administrator password.
    Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press
    enter to overwrite the file.
    Type exit to reboot the computer.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 10, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Well, that means the boot.ini can't find the system that it just installed.
    It would appear that your drivers are okay or you wouldn't have had a valid
    drive found.
    It would help in trying to analyse if you would supply all information about
    your system. Especially your hard drives and models (are they SATA or
    SATAII or IDE), how many, where they are attached to your motherboard, and
    your motherboard. Other systems installed.

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Thanks guys

    Im posting a small portion of the Belarc Advisors report below. Should be
    more clear to yall. I think i need to get the ntldr & ntdetect files onto my
    system drive (thats my XP 32 c:\windows\system32 folder. I dont have them in
    there now. I searched & returned empty.) Then I think it should works?

    System Security Status CIS Benchmark Score

    2.50 of 10 (details...)

    Virus Protection

    Up-to-date

    Microsoft Security Updates

    Up-to-date

    Computer Profile Summary
    Computer Name: Boss (in THE DUNGEON)
    Profile Date: Monday, December 05, 2005 8:14:48 PM
    Advisor Version: 7.0t
    Windows Logon: Boss

    Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small
    companies.

    Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) System manufacturer
    System Product Name
    System Serial Number: System Serial Number
    Asset Tag: 123456789000
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI
    Premium 1.02
    Serial Number: 123456789000
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
    10/21/2005
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    331.92 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    250.49 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    GIGABYTE GO-W1616A [CD-ROM drive]
    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H542A [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

    -----I HAVE INSTALLED XP 32 ON THIS DISK NOW-----
    ST3250823ACE [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5ND0JR9C, rev 8.01,
    SMART Status: Healthy

    -----I HAVE INSTALLED XP 64 ON THIS HARD DISK NOW-----
    ST380020A [Hard drive] (81.94 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5GC1R3WY, rev 3.99, SMART

    Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A3' has 512 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

    c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 19.99 GB 10.32 GB free
    f: (FAT32 on drive 0) 33.54 GB 31.13 GB free
    g: (FAT32 on drive 0) 33.54 GB 15.39 GB free
    h: (NTFS on drive 0) 162.95 GB 155.85 GB free
    i: (FAT32 on drive 1) 19.99 GB 7.43 GB free
    j: (FAT32 on drive 1) 19.99 GB 13.91 GB free
    k: (FAT32 on drive 1) 19.99 GB 2.81 GB free
    l: (FAT32 on drive 1) 21.92 GB 13.66 GB

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 10, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just a point, the ntldr and ntdetect.com files don't go in the system32
    file, they are on the root of the drive, but good luck.

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Curious why you selected your 5400rpm drive to put x64 on.

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you first check in your BIOS and make sure the drives were auto
    detected correctly. If this drive was used and formatted in a different
    computer, it may be wrong. Looks like your should be

    U Series 6

    Capacity:
    Speed:
    Average Read Time:
    Cylinders:
    Heads:
    Sectors:
    80.0 GB
    5400 rpm
    9.9 ms

    Then you should make sure your jumpers are set correctly. What is the boot
    order of your two hard drives. The primary boot hard drive will be your
    system drive and the active partition will be the system partition where the
    ntldr etc. files are active for booting. Is this where the files are? Also
    you should copy your active boot.ini into the next posting.
    Since you have 4 partitions on each drive, which one are you trying to
    install on, and did you prep the partition beforehand. Delete the current
    partition and format it?
    Which partition is active on each drive?

    John Barnes, Dec 10, 2005
  8. [boot loader]
    timeout=1
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    I've deliberately changed the sequence of boot here coz XP 64 doesnt boot at
    all & i've almost given up.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 11, 2005
  9. im posting a changed belarc advisor log. I changed the partitioning of the
    second drive deliberately. ill check if ive messed up the partitioning of the
    second drive though. Thnks for the reminder. The second drive is the primary
    slave wwhere XP 64 is installed on the first partition. The first drive (250
    GB) is the Primary Master where XP 32 is installed.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 11, 2005
  10. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    About Belarc

    System Management Products

    Your Privacy

    In page Links:

    Installed Hotfixes

    Software Licenses

    Software Versions

    System Security Status CIS Benchmark Score

    2.50 of 10 (details...)

    Virus Protection

    Up-to-date

    Microsoft Security Updates

    Up-to-date

    Computer Profile Summary
    Computer Name: Boss (in THE DUNGEON)
    Profile Date: Sunday, December 11, 2005 9:21:38 AM
    Advisor Version: 7.0t
    Windows Logon: Boss

    Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small
    companies.

    Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) System manufacturer
    System Product Name
    System Serial Number: System Serial Number
    Asset Tag: 123456789000
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI
    Premium 1.02
    Serial Number: 123456789000
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
    10/21/2005
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    281.47 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    211.93 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    GIGABYTE GO-W1616A [CD-ROM drive]
    TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H542A [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

    ST3250823ACE [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5ND0JR9C, rev 8.01,
    SMART Status: Healthy
    ST380020A [Hard drive] (81.94 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5GC1R3WY, rev 3.99, SMART

    Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A3' has 512 MB
    Local Drive Volumes

    c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 19.99 GB 9.86 GB free
    f: (FAT32 on drive 0) 33.54 GB 31.15 GB free
    g: (FAT32 on drive 0) 33.54 GB 1.97 GB free
    h: (NTFS on drive 0) 162.95 GB 138.38 GB free
    i: (NTFS on drive 1) 31.46 GB 30.58 GB free

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 11, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    See my post of the 4th Dec. You have the incorrect versions of ntdetect.com
    and ntldr in the root of your c: drive (XPx32 installation). Everything else
    in your boot.ini file is ok but you need to check the rdisk parameter to
    make sure it matches the physical numbering of the socket that your x64
    installation drive is plugged into. Please read the WHOLE of my post and you
    should be up and running.

    The "Date modified" of those two files should be 25/03/2005 12:00 (or if
    U.S., 03/25/2005 12:00)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 11, 2005
  12. I think I got the problem yall. Its the great discwizard from seagate. wont
    enable a disk for boot with os. not the good ole format/s days nemore?

    I installed on the same disk & its working fine. Dunno abt XP 32 though
    havent given it a shot yet!!!

    Thanks a load neways. I guess i'll be back with more on driver & support
    problems now :)

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FwbmRvbg==?=, Dec 11, 2005