    download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
    ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    PWB, Nov 1, 2008

  2. PWB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:37:25 +0000, PWB <>
    wrote:

    >I am a virginmedia customer ,

    I'm sorry.

    >but have been with them since they were
    >ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    >download email messages in Thunderbird,

    A mail client... Good...

    >although I can send and receive ok in IE.

    IE is a web browser.

    >I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    >setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    Verify your settings are correct. POP User name, password, pop server,
    etc.

    Evan Platt, Nov 1, 2008

  3. PWB

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:nt0Pk.127648$2 PWB
    <> wrote:

    > I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
    > ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    > download email messages in Thunderbird,

    What happens when you try?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Nov 1, 2008
  4. PWB

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-11-01, PWB <> wrote:
    > I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
    > ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    > download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
    > ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    > setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    So your email program (Thunderbird) probably has incorrect settings.
    (When you use Internet Explorer you are accessing the webmail site, so your
    email program settings don't have anything to do with that).

    Go to
    <http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/help-check.php?category=portal&app=helpemail&category=portal&app=helpemail>
    and click on 'Cable' or 'Non-Cable' as appropriate and find the correct
    details. I think they only give Outlook Express as an example, but you
    shouldn't find it too hard to work out from that what the settings in
    Thunderbird should be.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 1, 2008
  5. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Sorry I meant Outlook Express

    PWB, Nov 1, 2008
  6. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:nt0Pk.127648$2 PWB
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
    >> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    >> download email messages in Thunderbird,

    > What happens when you try?

    Nothing. it doesnt even gom through the motions of looking .

    PWB, Nov 1, 2008
  7. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-11-01, PWB <> wrote:
    >> I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
    >> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    >> download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
    >> ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    >> setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    > So your email program (Thunderbird) probably has incorrect settings.
    > (When you use Internet Explorer you are accessing the webmail site, so your
    > email program settings don't have anything to do with that).
    >
    > Go to
    > <http://www.virginmedia.com/help/check/help-check.php?category=portal&app=helpemail&category=portal&app=helpemail>
    > and click on 'Cable' or 'Non-Cable' as appropriate and find the correct
    > details. I think they only give Outlook Express as an example, but you
    > shouldn't find it too hard to work out from that what the settings in
    > Thunderbird should be.

    They do only give OE, thats how I did get them from there and worked it out

    PWB, Nov 1, 2008
  8. PWB

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:37:25 +0000, PWB wrote:

    >I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
    >ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    >download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive

    No error or status messages saying why?

    Sending from TB?

    >ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    >setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    Not even this has been updated for 4 years
    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_internet_advanced_byservers
    server settings & names
    Please find below a list of blueyonder server names and addresses.

    Just try finding the same page for NTL info and settings.

    Selecting NTL as an email address for the Help Section
    http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/
    Can’t send or receive mails?

    The mail settings won't have changed from the working ones in IE, and
    you shouldn't need account info. Of course that depends on if you are
    dial up / cable bb etc.

    You could try the VM newsgroups, in no particular order

    the 1 support hangout in
    virginmedia.support.e-mail

    virginmedia.users.self-help
    virginmedia.discussion.e-mail

    As ex TW/BY the settings have carried over without problems to many
    apps. As long as 1 works on mail the others should as well.

    Me

    why?, Nov 1, 2008
  9. PWB

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:23:32 +0000, PWB <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry I meant Outlook Express

    Ok, so if it works in OE but not Thunderbird, you don't have the
    settings correct.

    What is the EXACT error message you get?

    Evan Platt, Nov 1, 2008
  10. PWB wrote:
    > I am a virginmedia customer , but have been with them since they were
    > ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    > download email messages in Thunderbird, although I can send and receive
    > ok in IE. I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    > setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    Take screenshots of the settings in Thunderbird, please.

    --
    ________
    David M Lemcoe Jr.

    Roswell, Georgia
    Running Ubuntu 8.0.10 "Intrepid Ibex"

    David Marshall Lemcoe Jr., Nov 1, 2008
  11. PWB

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2008-11-01, PWB <> wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 17:37:25 +0000, PWB <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am a virginmedia customer ,

    >> I'm sorry.
    >>
    >>> but have been with them since they were
    >>> ntl. I have an @ntlworld email address but for some reason I cant
    >>> download email messages in Thunderbird,

    >> A mail client... Good...
    >>
    >>> although I can send and receive ok in IE.

    >> IE is a web browser.
    >>
    >>> I wonder if anyone in the group can tell me why. my smtp
    >>> setting is smtp.ntlworld.com and pop3 is pop.ntlworld.com TIA

    >> Verify your settings are correct. POP User name, password, pop server,
    >> etc.

    > Sorry I meant Outlook Express

    Even correcting your 'top posting' doesn't clarify what that means,
    exactly. Do mean that you don't use Thunderbird, or that your use
    Thunderbird and also use Outlook Express, but not Internet Explorer for
    email?

    If you have an active connection from Outlook Express to the email
    servers, then it's likely that those servers will refuse to connect to
    your account from any other program. Shut down OE and wait for a few
    minutes, then try connecting with THunderbird.

    If your OE settings are to 'delete messages from server' then there
    probably won't be any messages there for Thunderbird to fetch. You may be
    able to set both OE and Thunderbird to 'leave messages on server' so that
    they will be there for the other program to find later - but then you
    have to be careful to delete the messages from the server at some time
    before the server gets too full to cope with any more messages! It's
    possible that one or both of those email programs has a setting to 'delete
    messages from server after x days', which would help. (As you may have
    guessed by now, I don't use OE or Thunderbird - or NTL/BY/Virgin).

    Using two different programs, or two computers, to access the same account
    via a POP email server is tricky. If you really want to do that, IMAP is
    the protocol to use - but few if any UK ISPs offer IMAP servers. Some
    independent email service providers do, but usually not free.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 1, 2008
  12. PWB

    PWB Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2008-11-01, PWB <> wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:

    >>> I'm sorry.

    >>> A mail client... Good...

    >>> IE is a web browser.

    >>> Verify your settings are correct. POP User name, password, pop server,
    >>> etc.

    >> Sorry I meant Outlook Express

    > Even correcting your 'top posting' doesn't clarify what that means,
    > exactly. Do mean that you don't use Thunderbird, or that your use
    > Thunderbird and also use Outlook Express, but not Internet Explorer for
    > email?
    >
    > If you have an active connection from Outlook Express to the email
    > servers, then it's likely that those servers will refuse to connect to
    > your account from any other program. Shut down OE and wait for a few
    > minutes, then try connecting with THunderbird.
    >
    > If your OE settings are to 'delete messages from server' then there
    > probably won't be any messages there for Thunderbird to fetch. You may be
    > able to set both OE and Thunderbird to 'leave messages on server' so that
    > they will be there for the other program to find later - but then you
    > have to be careful to delete the messages from the server at some time
    > before the server gets too full to cope with any more messages! It's
    > possible that one or both of those email programs has a setting to 'delete
    > messages from server after x days', which would help. (As you may have
    > guessed by now, I don't use OE or Thunderbird - or NTL/BY/Virgin).
    >
    > Using two different programs, or two computers, to access the same account
    > via a POP email server is tricky. If you really want to do that, IMAP is
    > the protocol to use - but few if any UK ISPs offer IMAP servers. Some
    > independent email service providers do, but usually not free.

    I use thunderbird with pop3 settings on two different computers because
    there is no email client on any computer I use get email with portable
    apps , an operating system that fits on a memory stick , so i use one
    program on the two computers by putting the stick in the USB port when
    I'm using one particuler computer

    PWB, Nov 2, 2008