    OFF. Noone turned it off so we must of had a power failure. tho nothing
    else was affected. When I turned on the pc it failed to boot. I got the
    message ntldr not found. What happened and how do I recover?
    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=, Apr 11, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=

    renoch Guest

    Check the simple obvious things first.

    Make sure you do not have a floppy disk in the floppy drive or CD's in the
    CD drives. It may be trying to boot from them first...instead of your hard
    drive.

    renoch, Apr 11, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    also check your BIOS and make sure that the disk with the boot files on it
    is the first hd in boot priority. What os are your using?

    John Barnes, Apr 11, 2007
  4. john and renoch thanks for the supplies. I checked both of your suggestion
    and they are correctly configured.

    I recently installed a wireless mouse and kybd. the pc has not been shut
    down since, except for this time.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=, Apr 11, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you have the XP install cd, you could put it in the drive and set to boot
    from it, allowing it to bypass the cd (don't hit any key to boot from it)
    and see what message you get. Also, do you have more than one partition on
    the primary boot hd?

    John Barnes, Apr 11, 2007
  6. thanks, when I do this it boots up ok, yes i also have 2 partitions on the hd.

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=, Apr 12, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You didn't tell me what system you are using. What do you have on each
    partition? Which partition is active and do you have multiple drives (if so,
    are they a mix of IDE and SATA) You can now check in computer management and
    make sure that the ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini files are on the active
    partition (change the partition to active). Try this first. At least now
    you can use your system until you can get it to boot normally.

    John Barnes, Apr 12, 2007
  8. john,
    sorry to be so long in replying. I have win XP pro corp installed on the C
    drive 91st partition) and nothing on the 2nd partition. I don't know how to
    access the 2nd partition. I only have it because it was suggested by the s/w
    when I installed win xp pro corp. thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Z2Vtb250bmV5?=, Apr 16, 2007