    "NTLDR is missing, please press ctrl-alt-del to reboot"

    This is as far as I can get. Any help please group??

    TIA
    Piers James, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.

    1.. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    2.. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    3.. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and
    pressing enter.
    4.. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that
    password.
    5.. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard
    disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive
    letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

    copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

    6.. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD
    from the computer and reboot.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005

  3. I get the same message when trying to install windows server 2003 64 bit I
    am able to dual boot oem versions of xp pro and oem version xp 64 bit both
    on different hard drives. I am trying to install windows server on a
    third drive all sata all recognized by both operating systems. which
    ntldr do I need to repair. thanks

    Matt Schneyer, Jun 2, 2005
  4. Piers James

    John Barnes Guest

    Suggest you do a map in recovery console to see the driver letters assigned.
    C may also not be the sysroot drive

    John Barnes, Jun 2, 2005
  5. Yeah, I think thats what also got messed up, I would just run setup and let
    it detect the existing installations.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
  6. Piers James

    John Barnes Guest

    Yup. in repair console that is bootcfg /add
    add the installation that you don't have from the list provided

    John Barnes, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Piers James

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:39:37 -0700, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >Yup. in repair console that is bootcfg /add
    >add the installation that you don't have from the list provided

    Careful how you enter. First the description, and then the location +
    parameters. Usually those things are the other way around ;-)

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 2, 2005
  8. Piers James

    John Barnes Guest

    You enter the number of the system you want to add. Hit enter - enter the
    Name you want to show on the menu, hit enter twice (don't need parameters)
    and exit.

    There is no other entry necessary. It adds the drive and partition
    parameters based on the number of the system you select.

    John Barnes, Jun 3, 2005
  9. Piers James

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:24:03 -0700, "John Barnes" <>
    wrote:

    >You enter the number of the system you want to add. Hit enter - enter the
    >Name you want to show on the menu, hit enter twice (don't need parameters)
    >and exit.
    >
    >There is no other entry necessary. It adds the drive and partition
    >parameters based on the number of the system you select.

    Oh right :) Well, I mucked aound with the command when my system
    didn't want to boot anymore, and seem to remember that I had to enter
    the location, but I was confused by the fact that you had to give the
    description first. Maybe I didn't add the parameter, can't remember
    anymore exactly, as I tried a million things then.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Jun 3, 2005
  10. Piers James

    Piers James Guest

    Thanks folks. Got it sorted and running :)

    Piers James, Jun 3, 2005
  11. Could you give us details on how you fixed Pier so we can share with others
    if they encounter a similar problem?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 3, 2005
  12. Piers James

    Piers James Guest

    I think the problem I had is pretty unique to my setup but here goes anyway:

    I have a an IBM IDE drive and a Maxtor SATA drive. The BIOS views the cards
    as IDE 1 Master and IDE 3 Master respectively. When I installed the Maxtor
    drive recently, I ghosted my XP32 installation across from the old hard
    disk, and told the BIOS to boot from the Maxtor drive first.

    The x64 installation put the "ntldr" and other boot files on the IBM drive,
    as it saw that as the C drive, even though I was installing Windows to
    another partition on the Maxtor drive. All I had to do was access my BIOS
    boot menu and choose to boot of the IBM drive and then pick x64 from the
    list.

    I'm sure that had I installed WinXP 32 from fresh with same configuration,
    the I would have had the same problem, but because I used Ghost and had
    instructed my BIOS to boot from the Maxtor drive everything worked. I think
    what I encountered is normal behaviour for a clean install.

    HTH.

    Piers James, Jun 4, 2005