    The OS is Windows XP Home Edition.
    TIA
    Jerry

    Jerry, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Jerry

    Matt Guest

    (Jerry) wrote message
    news:BcHvg.2261$:

    > My grandson was playing around on my computer and now when I
    > try to boot I get a message "NTLDR is missing press any key to
    > restart." When I press a key it comes back to the same screen
    > message. I can't even get it to boot to safe mode.
    > Any ideas where it should be able to find NTLDR?

    Here's a hint:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-
    8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2006-15,RNWE:en&q=%22NTLDR+is+missing%22

    Or even http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

    Matt, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Jerry

    Guest

    (Jerry) wrote:

    |>My grandson was playing around on my computer and now when I try to boot I
    |>get a message "NTLDR is missing press any key to restart."
    |>When I press a key it comes back to the same screen message. I can't even
    |>get it to boot to safe mode.
    |>Any ideas where it should be able to find NTLDR? Which program is calling
    |>for it? What does NTLDR do?
    |>I hate to have to go through another complete Windows install.
    |>The OS is Windows XP Home Edition.

    This can be a misleading error message, it's likely your C:\BOOT.INI
    file is missing or corrupt.

    Boot up with your XP CD and get into the recovery console
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/

    When at a command prompt (>) type: FIXBOOT
    that should take care of it.

    --
    Check out what China built.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/19/huangyangtan_mystery/

    , Jul 20, 2006
  4. Jerry

    Engineer Guest

    Check to see if a disk has been left in the floppy drive.

    Engineer, Jul 20, 2006