NTL UK Number change.....Help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ziggy, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    Can anyone tell me anything about this number change? I have looked
    through Google but all I can find are very vague answers.

    Apparently on logging on sometime after today we will be asked for
    our username and password and then..........<quote>

    When you log on after the 7th October you will see some simple on
    screen instructions which we ask you to follow. Failure to do so will
    result in you losing your internet connection.

    You will need your username and password during this process. If you
    are unsure of these please click here. Your user name and email
    address will NOT be affected as part of this change.

    We have done our best to make the upgrade really simple so you won't
    need to make any changes to your computer settings. Remember you only
    have to log on after the 7th October to be guided through this short
    on-line process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause
    you.

    All well and good, I do not wish to cram my pc with their bloomin'
    gearbox that changes all your settings and goodness knows what else!

    My question is...What are they installing? Another gearbox or is it
    just a number change. If that is the case then I would rather do it
    myself.

    I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me.
    Thanks

    ziggy

    ziggy, Oct 7, 2003

  2. ziggy

    Petit Alexi Guest

    ziggy <> wrote in

    > Can anyone tell me anything about this number change?

    Just guessing, but perhaps, maybe, I dunno, oh, say...

    ***NTL SUPPORT*** YOU DUMB FUCKING ****?

    Petit Alexi, Oct 7, 2003

  3. ziggy

    John White Guest

    Ever tried to get to get to speak to someone on 'customer support' lately?
    *Arsehole*!

    John White, Oct 7, 2003
  4. ziggy

    Harrison Guest

    John,
    I didn;t see petitalxi's reply as he was already in my filter list.
    Responding to him/it in this manner only serves to feed the monster.
    It's best to simply disregard him/it altogether.

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  5. ziggy

    John White Guest

    Thanks, I have followed suit!
    Regards,
    john.

    John White, Oct 7, 2003
  6. ziggy

    TRADESMAN Guest

    ziggy wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me anything about this number change? I have looked
    > through Google but all I can find are very vague answers.
    >
    > Apparently on logging on sometime after today we will be asked for
    > our username and password and then..........<quote>
    >
    > When you log on after the 7th October you will see some simple on
    > screen instructions which we ask you to follow. Failure to do so will
    > result in you losing your internet connection.
    >
    > You will need your username and password during this process. If you
    > are unsure of these please click here. Your user name and email
    > address will NOT be affected as part of this change.
    >
    > We have done our best to make the upgrade really simple so you won't
    > need to make any changes to your computer settings. Remember you only
    > have to log on after the 7th October to be guided through this short
    > on-line process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause
    > you.
    >
    > All well and good, I do not wish to cram my pc with their bloomin'
    > gearbox that changes all your settings and goodness knows what else!
    >
    > My question is...What are they installing? Another gearbox or is it
    > just a number change. If that is the case then I would rather do it
    > myself.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me.
    > Thanks
    >
    > ziggy

    Sounds like a spoof.
    I can find no reference to it.
    Under no circumstances divulge your user name or password.
    NTLalready have that information.

    TRADESMAN, Oct 7, 2003
  7. ziggy

    Harrison Guest

    Also see http://www.giganews.com/comps/aup.mhtml

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  8. ziggy

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "John White" <> wrote in

    > Ever tried to get to get to speak to someone on 'customer support'
    > lately? *Arsehole*!

    You're not going to get any help from them by calling them arseholes.

    Don't NTL provide you with email support? Don't NTL provide information
    about this kind of "stuff" on some website somewhere? (How much do you pay
    for NTL, and is it worth it for a company with such clearly piss-poor
    support?)

    But to answer your question, no, I haven't tried to speak to someone on
    customer support. I have a very good ISP (hint: not NTL), and I know what
    I'm doing.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 7, 2003
  9. ziggy

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Harrison <> wrote in

    > John,
    > I didn;t see petitalxi's

    That's Mr Petit Alexi to you sonny.

    > reply as he was already in my filter list.

    Really? Why did you reply to my post?

    > Responding to him/it in this manner only serves to feed the monster.
    > It's best to simply disregard him/it altogether.

    Harrison has the right idea[1], if you don't like me killfile me.

    Lets hope he has fixed his filters.

    [1] I don't know why but I'm reminded of the million monkeys and a
    million typewriters, I guess he had to get *something* right sometime eh?

    Petit Alexi, Oct 7, 2003
  10. ziggy

    TRADESMAN Guest

    Had him on my filter list for the past few weeks,when he tried to intro duce
    the subject of child porn in reply to a poster.Was promptly to "feck off".
    Not only is it an arsehole..it's a perverted one!

    TRADESMAN, Oct 7, 2003
  11. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    > Sounds like a spoof.
    > I can find no reference to it.
    > Under no circumstances divulge your user name or password.
    > NTLalready have that information.

    Thanks! A voice of sanity lol I asked on here as I obviously *have*
    tried all the above well apart from the f***ing off bit........As for
    emailing NTL for help...I'm still awaiting a reply to a query I sent 4
    times a month ago and all I get is their automated reply. Yeah, as an
    ISP they are rubbish I agree as far as support is concerned but they are
    cheap and to be honest quite reliable as far as connection goes. I know
    a lot of people have heaps of problems but so far (2 years+) I haven't
    had any.........Well apart from lack of support. I'm not so sure it is
    a spoof though as there have been rumblings of this supposed improvement
    for dial-ups for ages. A while back we were instructed to change our
    numbers and nobody wanted to as it installed their damn gearbox. I
    immeadiately uninstalled it and reformatted as I had other probs at the
    time. I continue to use my old number, minus gearbox, and so far seem
    to have got away with it..........I did find one group with a mention of
    it earlier today but it does seem strange as there is no mention on the
    NTL site or the NThell one either....Oh well.

    Thanks anyway

    ziggy

    ziggy, Oct 7, 2003
  12. ziggy

    trout Guest

    Petit Alexi wrote:

    > Harrison <> wrote in
    >
    >> John,
    >> I didn;t see petitalxi's

    > That's Mr Petit Alexi to you sonny.
    >
    >> reply as he was already in my filter list.

    > Really? Why did you reply to my post?
    >
    >> Responding to him/it in this manner only serves to feed the monster.
    >> It's best to simply disregard him/it altogether.

    > Harrison has the right idea[1], if you don't like me killfile me.
    >
    > Lets hope he has fixed his filters.

    There is nothing wrong with his filters. The message to which you
    refer was made, in fact, to "Ionizer"; who *had* replied to you.
    (news:; for an OE-friendly
    format.)
    You may want to be more careful of *your* facts; if you intend to
    continue to play the target with your pattern of bi-polar outbursts.

    --
    "1,000,001."

    trout, Oct 7, 2003
  13. ziggy

    Patrick Guest

    ziggy wrote:
    >> Sounds like a spoof.
    >> I can find no reference to it.
    >> Under no circumstances divulge your user name or password.
    >> NTLalready have that information.
    >>

    > Thanks! A voice of sanity lol I asked on here as I obviously *have*
    > tried all the above well apart from the f***ing off bit........As for
    > emailing NTL for help...I'm still awaiting a reply to a query I sent 4
    > times a month ago and all I get is their automated reply. Yeah, as an
    > ISP they are rubbish I agree as far as support is concerned but they
    > are cheap and to be honest quite reliable as far as connection goes.
    > I know a lot of people have heaps of problems but so far (2 years+) I
    > haven't had any.........Well apart from lack of support. I'm not so
    > sure it is a spoof though as there have been rumblings of this
    > supposed improvement for dial-ups for ages. A while back we were
    > instructed to change our numbers and nobody wanted to as it installed
    > their damn gearbox. I immeadiately uninstalled it and reformatted as
    > I had other probs at the time. I continue to use my old number,
    > minus gearbox, and so far seem to have got away with it..........I
    > did find one group with a mention of it earlier today but it does
    > seem strange as there is no mention on the NTL site or the NThell one
    > either....Oh well.
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > ziggy

    Why do you not have a look on ntl.discussion.dial-up it looks pretty
    busy to me, someone thiere seems to be rabbiting something about number
    changes.

    Patrick, Oct 7, 2003
  14. ziggy

    trout Guest

    ziggy wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me anything about this number change? I have looked
    > through Google but all I can find are very vague answers.
    >
    > Apparently on logging on sometime after today we will be asked for
    > our username and password and then..........<quote>
    >
    > When you log on after the 7th October you will see some simple on
    > screen instructions which we ask you to follow. Failure to do so will
    > result in you losing your internet connection.
    >
    > You will need your username and password during this process. If you
    > are unsure of these please click here. Your user name and email
    > address will NOT be affected as part of this change.
    >
    > We have done our best to make the upgrade really simple so you won't
    > need to make any changes to your computer settings. Remember you only
    > have to log on after the 7th October to be guided through this short
    > on-line process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause
    > you.
    >
    > All well and good, I do not wish to cram my pc with their bloomin'
    > gearbox that changes all your settings and goodness knows what else!
    >
    > My question is...What are they installing? Another gearbox or is it
    > just a number change. If that is the case then I would rather do it
    > myself.
    >
    > I'd be grateful if anyone could enlighten me.
    > Thanks
    >
    > ziggy

    <http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/product_info/>
    I went followed through the links to the Q&A page; but I didn't see
    anything other than the rather inscrutable:

    "Please make sure that when you choose your new package, you are using
    the computer you intend to use the ntl:home Dial up Internet service on.
    We may need to change some settings on your Computer to allow you access
    to the service"
    It doesn't sound like DIY is an option they are giving you.
    --
    "It all sounds rather unpleasant."

    trout, Oct 7, 2003
  15. ziggy

    TRADESMAN Guest

    ziggy wrote:
    >> Sounds like a spoof.
    >> I can find no reference to it.
    >> Under no circumstances divulge your user name or password.
    >> NTLalready have that information.
    >>

    > Thanks! A voice of sanity lol I asked on here as I obviously *have*
    > tried all the above well apart from the f***ing off bit........As for
    > emailing NTL for help...I'm still awaiting a reply to a query I sent 4
    > times a month ago and all I get is their automated reply. Yeah, as an
    > ISP they are rubbish I agree as far as support is concerned but they
    > are cheap and to be honest quite reliable as far as connection goes.
    > I know a lot of people have heaps of problems but so far (2 years+) I
    > haven't had any.........Well apart from lack of support. I'm not so
    > sure it is a spoof though as there have been rumblings of this
    > supposed improvement for dial-ups for ages. A while back we were
    > instructed to change our numbers and nobody wanted to as it installed
    > their damn gearbox. I immeadiately uninstalled it and reformatted as
    > I had other probs at the time. I continue to use my old number,
    > minus gearbox, and so far seem to have got away with it..........I
    > did find one group with a mention of it earlier today but it does
    > seem strange as there is no mention on the NTL site or the NThell one
    > either....Oh well.
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > ziggy

    You're welcome,
    I've checked all sites to do with NTL....even the discussion groups and
    still can't find any reference.
    Agree absolutely with your comments and apart from neglected areas such as
    Tech Support and News serving , the package is not too bad.
    I don't know how you're fixed financially but the upgrade to BB for an extra
    £7.99 a month is well worth it and you get Tech Support for local call
    rates instead of the stupid 50ppm on dialup.
    Don't worry too much about the other posts... just a bit of polical
    infighting! :)

    TRADESMAN, Oct 7, 2003
  16. ziggy

    ziggy Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in news:blv84p$gh0r4$-
    berlin.de:

    > <http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/editorial/microsites/product_info/>
    > I went followed through the links to the Q&A page; but I didn't see
    > anything other than the rather inscrutable:
    >
    > "Please make sure that when you choose your new package, you are using
    > the computer you intend to use the ntl:home Dial up Internet service on.
    > We may need to change some settings on your Computer to allow you access
    > to the service"
    > It doesn't sound like DIY is an option they are giving you.

    Thanks both.........Doesn't sound like it is an option to set it up
    yourself, as you say. Bloody cheek really.

    Thanks though.......

    ziggy

    ziggy, Oct 8, 2003
  17. ziggy

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in news:blv5iq$gm4c8$-
    berlin.de:

    > There is nothing wrong with his filters. The message to which you
    > refer was made, in fact, to "Ionizer"; who *had* replied to you.
    > (news:; for an OE-friendly
    > format.)

    Bah, rumbled.

    > You may want to be more careful of *your* facts; if you intend to
    > continue to play the target with your pattern of bi-polar outbursts.

    Why? He had me in his kill file, so I can say what I like about him.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 8, 2003
  18. ziggy

    Petit Alexi Guest

    ziggy <> wrote in

    > I asked on here as I obviously *have*
    > tried all the above

    Well, I wasn't to know that you'd asked NTL support. You didn't mention it
    in your original post.

    > bit........As

    I think your kkkeyboard is broken?

    Petit Alexi, Oct 8, 2003
  19. ziggy

    binkx Guest

    Have a read of newsgroup - ntl.support.dial-up

    --
    Kieran
    Remove IT to mail

    binkx, Oct 8, 2003