NTL (UK) cable broadband modem 64 bit driver.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Slitheen, May 13, 2005.

  1. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    I want to take part in Microsoft's 'Windows's XP Professional x64 Edition
    Technology Advancement Program' - basically swap my XP Pro's license for the
    new x64 professional OS and license - at no cost. I have got all the drivers
    I need and a perfect rig for this new x64 OS. However, I cannot get a driver
    for the modem that I was given by the NTL ISP. It's the start of a new 12
    month contract with them...so I can't just sod them off and move ISP, it
    would cost me over £200 to break contract. And I don't want to resign to
    being unable to take advantage of this offer *just* because of a petty
    driver for my broadband modem - especially when I have all the other drivers
    ready to go.

    The modem is branded as NTL's property, it's a 'USB cable modem
    351000' (only it connects with Ethernet or USB - I use Ethernet). I could
    do with finding out who makes the damn thing for a start, but my ISP is not
    too forthcoming with email help...but I'll try. Here's a link to picture of
    it though, in case in the meantime, someone could recognise the model and
    possibly suggest the manufacturer. A long shot, I know - but I really want
    to do this upgrade, so anything's worth a try. :)

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?E1B72311B

    Slitheen, May 13, 2005

  2. you do not need to install the cablemodem drivers , i use the same modem but
    cannot remember how i did it (sorry , but if i remember i will post)

    =?Utf-8?B?cnVzc193aWxs?=, May 13, 2005

  3. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    "russ_will" <> wrote in message
    > you do not need to install the cablemodem drivers , i use the same modem
    > but
    > cannot remember how i did it (sorry , but if i remember i will post)

    Appreciate it if you could. Cheers.

    Slitheen, May 13, 2005
  4. I have a similiar setup using the ethernet NIC to commuincate with my
    cablemodem, only win64 driver I needed was for the NIC.

    Victor L. Marshall, May 13, 2005
  5. Slitheen got up from the bar and shouted: :
    > I want to take part in Microsoft's 'Windows's XP Professional x64 Edition
    > Technology Advancement Program' - basically swap my XP Pro's license for the
    > new x64 professional OS and license - at no cost. I have got all the drivers
    > I need and a perfect rig for this new x64 OS. However, I cannot get a driver
    > for the modem that I was given by the NTL ISP. It's the start of a new 12
    > month contract with them...so I can't just sod them off and move ISP, it
    > would cost me over £200 to break contract. And I don't want to resign to
    > being unable to take advantage of this offer *just* because of a petty
    > driver for my broadband modem - especially when I have all the other drivers
    > ready to go.
    >
    > The modem is branded as NTL's property, it's a 'USB cable modem
    > 351000' (only it connects with Ethernet or USB - I use Ethernet). I could
    > do with finding out who makes the damn thing for a start, but my ISP is not
    > too forthcoming with email help...but I'll try. Here's a link to picture of
    > it though, in case in the meantime, someone could recognise the model and
    > possibly suggest the manufacturer. A long shot, I know - but I really want
    > to do this upgrade, so anything's worth a try. :)
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?E1B72311B

    As long as you connect via the ethernet port, you don't need anything
    from NTL regarding drivers. You could try contacting their support
    line, but that's laugahable (worse then Microsofts support).

    Mark Gillespie, May 13, 2005
  6. Slitheen

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Slitheen,

    There are different types of NTL installation. Some use a "cable modem"
    connected to the PC via USB, while others use the built-in cable modem
    within the set-top box. If you have the later, you don't need any
    software -- you just need drivers for your network card.

    However, if you have the other style you might need drivers, and this
    could cause you problems. I'd check with NTL, but you might need to
    change to a different type of cable modem -- one that does not connect
    to the PC using USB.

    Jon

    Jon Grieve, May 13, 2005
  7. Slitheen

    ocbwilg Guest

    "Slitheen" <> wrote in message
    > The modem is branded as NTL's property, it's a 'USB cable modem
    > 351000' (only it connects with Ethernet or USB - I use Ethernet). I could
    > do with finding out who makes the damn thing for a start, but my ISP is
    > not too forthcoming with email help...but I'll try. Here's a link to
    > picture of it though, in case in the meantime, someone could recognise the
    > model and possibly suggest the manufacturer. A long shot, I know - but I
    > really want to do this upgrade, so anything's worth a try. :)

    If you are connecting via Ethernet then you shouldn't need drivers for the
    modem, only for your NIC. In most cases where people have had trouble
    finding drivers for their USB cable modems, switching to the ethernet
    connection has solved the problem.

    ocbwilg, May 13, 2005
  8. Slitheen

    Slitheen Guest

    "ocbwilg" <> wrote in message

    > "Slitheen" <> wrote in message
    >> The modem is branded as NTL's property, it's a 'USB cable modem
    >> 351000' (only it connects with Ethernet or USB - I use Ethernet). I
    >> could do with finding out who makes the damn thing for a start, but my
    >> ISP is not too forthcoming with email help...but I'll try. Here's a link
    >> to picture of it though, in case in the meantime, someone could recognise
    >> the model and possibly suggest the manufacturer. A long shot, I know -
    >> but I really want to do this upgrade, so anything's worth a try. :)

    > If you are connecting via Ethernet then you shouldn't need drivers for the
    > modem, only for your NIC. In most cases where people have had trouble
    > finding drivers for their USB cable modems, switching to the ethernet
    > connection has solved the problem.

    Yeah, I am connecting with Ethernet. But I never realized that this didn't
    use drivers. Someone has since pointed this out to me.

    Thanks all.

    Slitheen, May 16, 2005
  9. Slitheen

    James Park Guest

    Don't switch to USB drivers if they come out if you can help it. It'll put a
    greater burden on your computer.

    James Park, May 16, 2005
  10. Slitheen

    ocbwilg Guest

    "James Park" <> wrote in message
    > Don't switch to USB drivers if they come out if you can help it. It'll put
    > a greater burden on your computer.

    That's probably true. All the USB drivers do is emulate an ethernet
    connection over the serial interface. You'll get better overall performance
    when using a true ethernet connection.

    The reason that you don't need modem drviers if you're using an ethernet
    connection is that you are communicating with the modem via TCP/IP (the
    native protocol of the Internet) instead of an emulation layer.

    ocbwilg, May 18, 2005