    Roger Melly
    conkersack yahoo com

    , Oct 28, 2006

  2. alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > I did a speed check thing, I have
    > 120k upload according to the adslguide site, but when I turned on the
    > video feature in skype, apparently the voice was distorting.

    What service are you on? 120k sounds a little low for broadband, although
    I'm not familiar with NTL's service offerings.

    > If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

    I would check that you're not using your upstream bandwidth on other
    applications when trying to Skype.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:06:36 up 4 days, 15:51, 2 users, load average: 3.29, 3.12, 3.11

    alexd, Oct 29, 2006

  3. On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:07:52 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> I did a speed check thing, I have
    >> 120k upload according to the adslguide site, but when I turned on the
    >> video feature in skype, apparently the voice was distorting.

    >What service are you on? 120k sounds a little low for broadband, although
    >I'm not familiar with NTL's service offerings.
    >
    >> If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!

    >I would check that you're not using your upstream bandwidth on other
    >applications when trying to Skype.

    The IMb service has a 128kb/s upstream limit. NTL are close to
    upgrading all of their 1Mb customers to 2Mb so the upstream limit will
    also increase.

    Steve in Herts, Oct 29, 2006
  4. Nick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > 1Mb NTL cable connection & latest version of Skype here. I used it for
    > the first time this evening and it was OK for listening but apparently
    > it is not too great when I talk - I looked at a few forum suggestions
    > which concerned packet loss, mine was reported at about 20%.
    >
    > Is there any way of improving this? I did a speed check thing, I have
    > 120k upload according to the adslguide site, but when I turned on the
    > video feature in skype, apparently the voice was distorting.
    >
    > If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful!
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Melly
    > conkersack yahoo com

    Have exactly the same problem here.
    The packet loss is nothing to do with VoIP. I discovered this by
    chance when sending a large email containing pictures.

    Since NThelL/Blueyonder upgraded the servers to accommodate
    4/10 Meg access the packet loss problem arose.

    Research has largely proven that those suffering from this fault
    are using Terayon Terrajet cable modems, usually the TJ210
    model. As this model can handle far greater upload and download
    speeds than those available on NThelL or Blueyonder, it is reasonable
    to assume that the upgrade has not included all the protocols used
    by the equipment supplied by the provider. (mine worked fine until
    the "upgrade")

    The next problem is getting the ISP to acknowledge the fault. Even
    if you're lucky enough to reach a "Tech Support" bod in the UK, they'll
    only PING your modem with 64 bits of data. The packet loss occurs
    once 64K is reached.

    I have had my coaxial cable replaced between the house and street.
    (A real bodge up)
    A thorough test carried out between the house and street cabinet,
    and house, cabinet and exchange. All of which have not improved
    the service in any way, if anything degrading it after the bodge up.

    I finally convinced "Tech Support" to replace the modem when they
    couldn't PING the modem. (Use your imagination) However, three
    appointments have yet to materialise in an engineer arriving.
    The ISP also refuse to supply a cable modem by post/courier
    for self installation.

    Personally, I can't loose any more time from work or be available
    at an hour suitable for another visit for the foreseeable future, therefore
    I'm in the process of changing provider.

    IF ANY NTL.BLUEYONDER personal read this, please raise an
    issue with the company before you employer looses all of its
    customers and result in you loosing your job.

    Common Sense must prevail and will return, sometime.

    Nick, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Guest

    OK, thanks everyone. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bare it for a
    while.

    I'm pretty certain nothing else is using the upload bandwidth, but I'm
    not actually too sure how to check. Hopefully I'll get the 2Mb upgrade
    soon.

    But, surely 120k/s is enough for Skype voive & video?

    Thanks again.

    --
    Roger Melly
    conkersack yahoo com

    , Oct 29, 2006
  6. Nick Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > OK, thanks everyone. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bare it for a
    > while.
    >
    > I'm pretty certain nothing else is using the upload bandwidth, but I'm
    > not actually too sure how to check. Hopefully I'll get the 2Mb upgrade
    > soon.
    >
    > But, surely 120k/s is enough for Skype voive & video?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Melly
    > conkersack yahoo com

    READ MY REPLY!

    Nick, Oct 29, 2006
  7. stephen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > OK, thanks everyone. I suppose I'll just have to grin and bare it for a
    > while.
    >
    > I'm pretty certain nothing else is using the upload bandwidth, but I'm
    > not actually too sure how to check. Hopefully I'll get the 2Mb upgrade
    > soon.
    >
    > But, surely 120k/s is enough for Skype voive & video?

    voice bandwidth varies depending on connectivity - 3 to 16 Kbytes / sec
    http://support.skype.com/index.php?...a=knowledgebase&_j=subcat&_i=8'>Technical</a>

    since they dont seem to document the mechanism, it may be an inappropriate
    choice by the software.

    the only real way to tell is to measure what is actually used - some
    firewalls such as Kerio will give the current bandwidth use for a TCP or UDP
    connection.

    http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=831

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > READ MY REPLY!

    I did, thanks. Which provider are you switching to?

    , Oct 29, 2006
  9. alexd Guest

    Nick wrote:

    > The next problem is getting the ISP to acknowledge the fault. Even
    > if you're lucky enough to reach a "Tech Support" bod in the UK, they'll
    > only PING your modem with 64 bits of data. The packet loss occurs
    > once 64K is reached.

    I presume you're trying to use IP with this thing right? Don't forget IP
    headers only have 16 bits to specify the length of the packets with.

    > Personally, I can't loose any more time from work or be available
    > at an hour suitable for another visit for the foreseeable future,
    > therefore I'm in the process of changing provider.
    >
    > IF ANY NTL.BLUEYONDER personal read this, please raise an
    > issue with the company before you employer looses all of its
    > customers and result in you loosing your job.
    >
    > Common Sense must prevail and will return, sometime.

    So stop wasting your time and buy one on eBay. Job done.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:30:56 up 6 days, 5:16, 3 users, load average: 3.00, 3.07, 3.07

    alexd, Oct 30, 2006