NTL IS RESTRICTING HIGH-TRAFFIC SITES/USERS

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gary G. Taylor, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. From the status page aat http://www.usenetserver.com:

    Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:21:26 GMT

    Are you are an NTL customer that has recently seen lower then expect
    speeds? Today NTL/Telewest has admitted that it is restricting traffic.

    Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.

    Please see...
    http://www.theregister.com/2006/11/21/blueyonder_gets_throttled/

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Pomona, CA * 34.074630°N 117.754195°W
    knotgary at knotdonavan dot org http : // www.donavan.org
    "The two most abundant substances in the Universe are hydrogen

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    > From the status page aat http://www.usenetserver.com:
    >
    > Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:21:26 GMT
    >
    > Are you are an NTL customer that has recently seen lower then expect
    > speeds? Today NTL/Telewest has admitted that it is restricting traffic.
    >
    > Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.

    Too bad they didn't make bandwidth proportional to IQ.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Gary G. Taylor

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Gary G. Taylor.

    In <news:p> you wrote:

    > Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.

    Problem for the selfish leeches, great for everyone else in the area.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Gary G. Taylor

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:16:57 GMT, Ponder wrote:

    >Hiya Gary G. Taylor.
    >
    >In <news:p> you wrote:
    >
    >> Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.

    > Problem for the selfish leeches, great for everyone else in the area.

    Except for those folks, ordering and paying for an unlimited service.

    The ISP doing regional upgradesto 10Mbps.

    The ISP swapping out old for new modems to allow 10Mbps connections.

    Perhaps it's all the users not using the ISPs horrible newsserver and
    going outside to giganews or else where, paying for unlimited accounts
    there.

    At least some software is catching up, I saw Newsleecher a few versiaons
    ago has a speed / time of day limiter. More developers should note such
    nice features.

    Me

    why?, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Gary G. Taylor

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya why?.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Except for those folks, ordering and paying for an unlimited service.

    There's unlimited and there's taking the piss. They only act on those who
    are hitting it so much they're affecting others.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Gary G. Taylor

    clot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Gary G. Taylor wrote:
    >> From the status page aat http://www.usenetserver.com:
    >>
    >> Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:21:26 GMT
    >>
    >> Are you are an NTL customer that has recently seen lower then expect
    >> speeds? Today NTL/Telewest has admitted that it is restricting
    >> traffic.
    >>
    >> Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.

    > Too bad they didn't make bandwidth proportional to IQ.

    You're right!

    "Dear HelpDesk, please could you forward this e-mail to my friend?" :)

    clot, Nov 30, 2006
  7. On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:39:38 GMT, Ponder <>
    wrote:

    >Hiya why?.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Except for those folks, ordering and paying for an unlimited service.

    > There's unlimited and there's taking the piss. They only act on those who
    >are hitting it so much they're affecting others.

    Not true, there is unlimited and that is it. If you pay for
    unlimited, unlimited means unlimited.

    The word unlimited means something to the effect of no limit or
    without limits, as in no time limits to usage.

    If there are penalties for using an unlimited account for unlimited
    amounts of time, it is not unlimited, it is regulated according to
    usage amount, which isn't unlimited.

    Unlimited means that 1 minute a day would be okay as would 24 hours a
    day, every day.

    If NTL's version of unlimited means that you can use your account a
    lot but we will let you know when you have used it too much by slowing
    down your speed, they should have notified customers of this.

    Instead, they have stolen from their own customers and tricked them
    and essentially robbed them of a service that they have paid for much
    as a thief picks your pocket.

    Altie

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 1, 2006
  8. Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Not true, there is unlimited and that is it. If you pay for
    > unlimited, unlimited means unlimited.

    You reckon?

    http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband

    and from there:

    http://www.home.ntl.com/page/broadbandusage

    I will stress here though that I get what I want, when I want and have
    never had a warning from ntl. Then again, I'm not into selling downloaded
    DVDs so I probably don't get as much as the targets of the AUP ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
    Bah humbug - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 1, 2006
  9. Gary G. Taylor

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:39:38 GMT, Ponder wrote:

    >Hiya why?.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Except for those folks, ordering and paying for an unlimited service.

    > There's unlimited and there's taking the piss. They only act on those who
    >are hitting it so much they're affecting others.

    Not really, when the ISP offers an unlimited package and end user pays
    extra for that service. If a user wanted a limited service 1/2/4Mbps
    they could simply pay for that limit.

    Me

    why?, Dec 1, 2006
  10. Hiya why?.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Not really, when the ISP offers an unlimited package and end user pays
    > extra for that service. If a user wanted a limited service 1/2/4Mbps
    > they could simply pay for that limit.

    Personally I'd prefer common sense to the rigid capping these selfish
    types are going to get imposed on us. Look at Zen, for example; they're
    imposing a 100GB limit for most of their packages due to over-heavy
    downloaders. ntl have been that path and actually listened to their
    customers for once and decided it's not necessary, and their capping was
    never rigidly enforced. A few warning were (and continue to be) sent out to
    the piss-takers and that suits me, and the vast majority, fine thank you
    very much.

    What if we were all to hit the limit up and down 24/7? The service would
    grind to a halt.

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 1, 2006
  11. On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:43:08 GMT, Ebeneezer Ponder
    <> wrote:

    >Hiya why?.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Not really, when the ISP offers an unlimited package and end user pays
    >> extra for that service. If a user wanted a limited service 1/2/4Mbps
    >> they could simply pay for that limit.

    > Personally I'd prefer common sense to the rigid capping these selfish
    >types are going to get imposed on us. Look at Zen, for example; they're
    >imposing a 100GB limit for most of their packages due to over-heavy
    >downloaders. ntl have been that path and actually listened to their
    >customers for once and decided it's not necessary, and their capping was
    >never rigidly enforced. A few warning were (and continue to be) sent out to
    >the piss-takers and that suits me, and the vast majority, fine thank you
    >very much.
    >
    > What if we were all to hit the limit up and down 24/7? The service would
    >grind to a halt.

    If it were to grind to halt this would indicate to all of the
    subscribers that they were a Mickey Mouse outfit and signal to them
    that they would need to look elsewhere.

    If it were to grind to a halt if every user simply did what was
    advertised to them as being acceptable then the users would demand
    better.

    If it were to grind to a halt to often, another service provider would
    spring up that "could" provide what they advertise and have customers
    pay for. This is what is so great about the free market.

    Oops, I thought you were from the United States for a second. In this
    country you must provide what it is that you advertise or you go out
    of business in about 2 or 3 days. There is always something or
    someone bigger and better champing at the bit to take your place.

    I guess in Great Britain and all of Europe for that matter, the
    customers have to please the corporations in order for them to
    continue to provide you a service that you are paying for.

    As you say, you have to "beware" of what you are doing and how much
    time you spend online or suffer the consequences of "capping" that
    will be imposed on everyone as a punishment, to get your mind right.

    It isn't that way over here, the companies have to please us or we are
    gone and so are they.

    Altie

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 2, 2006
  12. On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 06:16:52 GMT, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 2, 2006
  13. Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Oops, I thought you were from the United States for a second. In this
    > country you must provide what it is that you advertise or you go out
    > of business in about 2 or 3 days. There is always something or
    > someone bigger and better champing at the bit to take your place.

    Oh dear, there goes the sensible discussion... again ;)

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 2, 2006
  14. On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 14:23:46 GMT, Ebeneezer Ponder
    <> wrote:

    >Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Oops, I thought you were from the United States for a second. In this
    >> country you must provide what it is that you advertise or you go out
    >> of business in about 2 or 3 days. There is always something or
    >> someone bigger and better champing at the bit to take your place.

    > Oh dear, there goes the sensible discussion... again ;)

    LOL, you are right. I didn't at first realize that I was conversing
    with people in the U.K, where government control is so tight.

    You guys are lucky if the powers that be "allow" you to have a good 3
    or 4 hours online a day.

    You know, if I lived in that type of restrictive environment, I may
    also be happy with false advertisement of unlimited usage and just be
    happy that I could get online at all.

    Altie

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 2, 2006
  15. Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.

    In <news:p> you wrote:

    > You guys are lucky if the powers that be "allow" you to have a good 3
    > or 4 hours online a day.

    Try as much as you like, you should know by now I don't bite ;)

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 2, 2006
  16. On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:02:48 GMT, Ebeneezer Ponder
    <> wrote:

    >Hiya Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤.
    >
    >In <news:p> you wrote:
    >
    >> You guys are lucky if the powers that be "allow" you to have a good 3
    >> or 4 hours online a day.

    > Try as much as you like, you should know by now I don't bite ;)

    I do, Colin.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Dec 2, 2006
  17. Gary G. Taylor

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:43:08 GMT, Ebeneezer Ponder wrote:

    >Hiya why?.
    >
    >In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Not really, when the ISP offers an unlimited package and end user pays
    >> extra for that service. If a user wanted a limited service 1/2/4Mbps
    >> they could simply pay for that limit.

    > Personally I'd prefer common sense to the rigid capping these selfish
    >types are going to get imposed on us. Look at Zen, for example; they're
    >imposing a 100GB limit for most of their packages due to over-heavy
    >downloaders. ntl have been that path and actually listened to their

    It's what they are doing to costomers of ISP NTL have bought out, which
    was unlimited. <snip>

    > What if we were all to hit the limit up and down 24/7? The service would
    >grind to a halt.

    Then the ISP shouldn't have upgraded infrastructure, swapped out modems
    for free or offer a 10Mbps service.

    If I want a new Linux or other DVD ISO and an on an unlimited service I
    would want it at the 10Mbps couple of hours and not an overnight
    download.

    Me

    why?, Dec 2, 2006
  18. Hiya why?.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > If I want a new Linux or other DVD ISO and an on an unlimited service I
    > would want it at the 10Mbps couple of hours and not an overnight
    > download.

    I think you'll find you'd get it at the rate the sender can send...
    unless you're already leeching like there's no tomorrow of course.

    Ebeneezer Ponder, Dec 2, 2006
  19. Ebeneezer Ponder wrote:
    > Hiya why?.
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> If I want a new Linux or other DVD ISO and an on an unlimited service I
    >> would want it at the 10Mbps couple of hours and not an overnight
    >> download.

    > I think you'll find you'd get it at the rate the sender can send...
    > unless you're already leeching like there's no tomorrow of course.

    Exactly, I have the 10 down 512 up service, if I connect to another home
    user with the same service I will only be able to get 512 down as the
    other person will only be able to supply 512 up.
    But when I get onto MS servers and the like, the files trip over
    themselves as they tear down the line.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Dec 6, 2006