    Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying £25 a month when I should be paying
    more like £18!!!

    Antony
    Antony Leather, Nov 6, 2003

  2. Antony Leather wrote:
    > Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the
    > first time I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps
    > which was pretty much expected. However a few days later I'm getting
    > 430kbps consistantly, a whole 1/3 slower than it should be!

    1/3 of 545kbps is around 180kbps, which means you would have a speed of
    365kbps. You are a fucking exaggerating liar.

    > I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection
    > which was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps.
    > Also the fact that the speed seems consistant shows that it is
    > probably accurate.

    Network load, you dumbfuck. And did you check to see if your ISP throttles
    your line? Hmmm?

    > Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying £25 a month when I should be
    > paying more like £18!!!

    Well, aren't you the perennial fuckwit? Maybe you should find out what MTU
    your ISP recommends, eh. 1492 would be a good place to start.
    1-1-Diethyl-1-Phenoxyphenyl-Dimethylphenoxy-Octano, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Antony Leather

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "Antony Leather" <> wrote in

    > Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed.

    Heh, ntl, heh.

    BTW: You don't seem to have munged your email address. You might want to
    stick a .invalid on the end, and some random letters between the ntlworld
    and the .com
    Petit Alexi, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Antony Leather

    TRADESMAN Guest

    Antony Leather wrote:
    > Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the
    > first time I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps
    > which was pretty much expected. However a few days later I'm getting
    > 430kbps consistantly, a whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've
    > checked for the blaster and Welchia viruses with the removal tools,
    > but since then I've actually formatted my hard drive and reinstalled
    > everything. I tested it straight afterwards with no possible virus on
    > my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.
    >
    > I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection
    > which was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps.
    > Also the fact that the speed seems consistant shows that it is
    > probably accurate.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying £25 a month when I should be
    > paying more like £18!!!
    >
    > Antony

    Sounds pretty much par for the course. I rarely acheive speeds of more than
    400 Kbps and average only 390. I can tell you now that complaining to NTL
    will not make one iota of difference. They have allowed demand to outstrip
    supply.
    Given that, it is a fairly reliable service and is quite cheap. ISPs are
    like Banks, rarely do they deliver a service that satisfies everyone. I
    guess that's why people are constantly chopping and changing

    --
    You could always downgrade to 125K.
    TRADESMAN, Nov 6, 2003
  5. Antony Leather

    sluff Guest

    Antony Leather wrote:
    > Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the
    > first time I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps
    > which was pretty much expected. However a few days later I'm getting
    > 430kbps consistantly, a whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've
    > checked for the blaster and Welchia viruses with the removal tools,
    > but since then I've actually formatted my hard drive and reinstalled
    > everything. I tested it straight afterwards with no possible virus on
    > my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.
    >
    > I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection
    > which was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps.
    > Also the fact that the speed seems consistant shows that it is
    > probably accurate.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying £25 a month when I should be
    > paying more like £18!!!
    >
    > Antony

    And it says on the test site that the results will be *inaccurate*
    SO....................

    ---

    sluff, Nov 6, 2003
  6. Antony Leather

    SgtMinor Guest

    Antony Leather wrote:

    > Hey peeps. I just got my 600kbps ntl broadband installed. Now the first time
    > I tested it on www.bandwidthplace.com I got about 545kbps which was pretty
    > much expected. However a few days later I'm getting 430kbps consistantly, a
    > whole 1/3 slower than it should be! I've checked for the blaster and Welchia
    > viruses with the removal tools, but since then I've actually formatted my
    > hard drive and reinstalled everything. I tested it straight afterwards with
    > no possible virus on my system and I'm still getting 430kbps.
    >
    > I know bandwidth place works cos I tested my old broadband connection which
    > was rated at 512kbps with telewest and this got over 500kbps. Also the fact
    > that the speed seems consistant shows that it is probably accurate.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas cos I'm not paying £25 a month when I should be paying
    > more like £18!!!
    >
    > Antony

    Check out the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide:
    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

    It's amazing to me that you actually reformatted your hard drive. With
    proper maintenance, your machine should run for years without needing
    such drastic action. And it does not solve all problems; some viruses
    can survive a reformat.
    SgtMinor, Nov 6, 2003