NTL Broadband problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    Hi all

    I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her daughter
    (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    connection window up" and now there is no connection :S

    She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem? is
    that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it it
    says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"

    I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off at
    the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is too
    scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!

    has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system down
    maybe?

    any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!

    MiniEmma

    MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003

  2. MiniEmma

    Ralph Mann Guest

    MiniEmma said:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her daughter
    > (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    > connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >
    > She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem? is
    > that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it it
    > says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    >
    > I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off at
    > the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is too
    > scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    >
    > has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system down
    > maybe?

    How could NTL be down if you have been able to access the web site?

    > any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!

    The only idea is to do as instructed.
    Reset the modem and reboot.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003

  3. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    > MiniEmma said:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her

    daughter
    > > (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    > > connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    > >
    > > She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem?

    is
    > > that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it

    it
    > > says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    > >
    > > I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off

    at
    > > the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is

    too
    > > scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    > >
    > > has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system

    down
    > > maybe?

    > How could NTL be down if you have been able to access the web site?

    I am writing on behalf of a friend, she rang me with the problem

    > > any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!

    > The only idea is to do as instructed.
    > Reset the modem and reboot.

    Yes a realise that because it sounds like the same thing BT ask you to do
    with their ADSL. My friend is new to NTL and therefore has never
    experienced an outage and so can not recognise whether it is her problem or
    NTL's problem.

    MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003
  4. MiniEmma

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Ralph Mann said:

    > MiniEmma said:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her daughter
    >> (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    >> connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >>
    >> She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem? is
    >> that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it it
    >> says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    >>
    >> I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off at
    >> the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is too
    >> scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    >>
    >> has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system down
    >> maybe?

    > How could NTL be down if you have been able to access the web site?

    And it wasn't necessarily the childs fault either, NTL could very well have
    dropped it's connection to the modem for a few seconds, which is long enough to
    foul the systems reconnect.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  5. MiniEmma

    Ralph Mann Guest

    MiniEmma said:

    > "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    >> MiniEmma said:
    >>
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her daughter
    >>> (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    >>> connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >>>
    >>> She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem? is
    >>> that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it it
    >>> says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    >>>
    >>> I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off at
    >>> the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is too
    >>> scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    >>>
    >>> has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system down
    >>> maybe?

    >> How could NTL be down if you have been able to access the web site?

    > I am writing on behalf of a friend, she rang me with the problem
    >

    >>> any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!

    >> The only idea is to do as instructed.
    >> Reset the modem and reboot.

    > Yes a realise that because it sounds like the same thing BT ask you to do
    > with their ADSL. My friend is new to NTL and therefore has never
    > experienced an outage and so can not recognise whether it is her problem or
    > NTL's problem.

    See my second reply to you.
    Also, check the status page on the web site and/or call this number
    0800-052-4315 for outages.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  6. "MiniEmma" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her

    daughter
    > (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    > connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >
    > She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her

    modem? is
    > that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click

    it it
    > says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    >
    > I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box

    off at
    > the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She

    is too
    > scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    >
    > has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system

    down
    > maybe?
    >
    > any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!
    >
    > MiniEmma

    There is an e-mail problem on NTL at the moment.Perhaps its that

    Steven Pilbeam, Oct 29, 2003
  7. MiniEmma

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Steven Pilbeam said:

    > "MiniEmma" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her daughter
    >> (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    >> connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >>
    >> She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem? is
    >> that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it it
    >> says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    >>
    >> I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off at
    >> the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is too
    >> scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    >>
    >> has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system down
    >> maybe?
    >>
    >> any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!
    >>
    >> MiniEmma
    >>

    > There is an e-mail problem on NTL at the moment.Perhaps its that

    NTL e-mail is on a different server.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  8. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    > MiniEmma said:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her

    daughter
    > > (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    > > connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    > >
    > > She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her modem?

    is
    > > that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it

    it
    > > says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    > >
    > > I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off

    at
    > > the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She is

    too
    > > scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    > >
    > > has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system

    down
    > > maybe?

    > How could NTL be down if you have been able to access the web site?
    >

    > > any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!

    > The only idea is to do as instructed.
    > Reset the modem and reboot.

    Yes a realise that because it sounds like the same thing BT ask you to do
    with their ADSL. My friend is new to NTL and therefore has never
    experienced an outage and so can not recognise whether it is her problem or
    NTL's problem.

    So, really i'm just asking if anyone recognises the symptoms

    MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003
  9. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    "Steven Pilbeam" <> wrote in message

    > "MiniEmma" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her

    > daughter
    > > (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    > > connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    > >
    > > She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her

    > modem? is
    > > that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click

    > it it
    > > says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    > >
    > > I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box

    > off at
    > > the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She

    > is too
    > > scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    > >
    > > has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system

    > down
    > > maybe?
    > >
    > > any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!
    > >
    > > MiniEmma
    > >

    > There is an e-mail problem on NTL at the moment.Perhaps its that

    Thanks i saw that on their website, it didn't mention any other problems but
    then BT take hours to report problems so i presume NTL would be the same

    MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003
  10. MiniEmma

    Ralph Mann Guest

    MiniEmma said:

    > "Steven Pilbeam" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "MiniEmma" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all
    >>>
    >>> I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her daughter
    >>> (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some sort of
    >>> connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >>>
    >>> She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her

    >> modem? is
    >>> that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when you click it it
    >>> says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway unavailable"
    >>>
    >>> I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box off at
    >>> the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the pc. She

    >> is too
    >>> scared to do this and her husband is not home for hours!
    >>>
    >>> has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system down
    >>> maybe?
    >>>
    >>> any ideas appreciated, i know it's a long shot !!
    >>>
    >>> MiniEmma
    >>>

    >> There is an e-mail problem on NTL at the moment.Perhaps its that
    >>

    > Thanks i saw that on their website, it didn't mention any other problems but
    > then BT take hours to report problems so i presume NTL would be the same

    Did you phone the free number I gave you for outages?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  11. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    > MiniEmma said:
    >
    > > "Steven Pilbeam" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "MiniEmma" <> wrote in message

    daughter

    > >> modem? is

    it it

    off at
    > >> is too

    down

    > >> There is an e-mail problem on NTL at the moment.Perhaps its that
    > >>

    > > Thanks i saw that on their website, it didn't mention any other problems

    but
    > > then BT take hours to report problems so i presume NTL would be the same

    > Did you phone the free number I gave you for outages?

    I didn't get that post yet! thanks for your help but she's not gonna ring a
    number either - MAYJOR Technophobe

    MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003
  12. MiniEmma

    Ralph Mann Guest

    MiniEmma said:

    > "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    >> MiniEmma said:
    >>
    >>> "Steven Pilbeam" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks i saw that on their website, it didn't mention any other problems but
    >>> then BT take hours to report problems so i presume NTL would be the same

    >> Did you phone the free number I gave you for outages?
    >>

    > I didn't get that post yet! thanks for your help but she's not gonna ring a
    > number either - MAYJOR Technophobe

    0800-052-4315 outages, all it is, is a recorded message telling you what is out
    and where.
    No being put on hold, no talking to technicians, just a recording.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 29, 2003
  13. MiniEmma

    MiniEmma Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message
    > MiniEmma said:
    >
    > > "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in message

    daughter

    modem? is

    click it

    unavailable"

    off

    She

    system down

    problems but

    same

    > >> Did you phone the free number I gave you for outages?
    > >>

    > > I didn't get that post yet! thanks for your help but she's not gonna

    ring a
    > > number either - MAYJOR Technophobe

    > 0800-052-4315 outages, all it is, is a recorded message telling you what

    is out
    > and where.
    > No being put on hold, no talking to technicians, just a recording.

    Great thanks for that, i rang it for her and all it says is the afore
    mentioned email problem.

    oh well, her hubbie can sort it out for her later, thanks again

    MiniEmma, Oct 29, 2003
  14. MiniEmma

    Patrick Guest

    MiniEmma wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her
    > daughter (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some
    > sort of connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >
    > She has her NTL broadband connected using her set top box as her
    > modem? is that right? and the icon in her system tray is red and when
    > you click it it says "gateway server unavailable" or "default gateway
    > unavailable"

    Thiere are two ntl support groups for STB (Set Top Box) and two for CM
    (Cable Modem)
    If friend gets tv from ntl then it is STB.

    Thiere are two ntl support groups for set top box that you might want look
    at or post to;
    In the newsgroup list ('Tools' menu / Newsgroups)
    In the search box enter; ntl stb the two groups should be shown.

    ntl status page is; http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp
    They do have some serious problems (maintenance work) in some areas

    > I have looked on the NTL website and it says to turn the set top box
    > off at the wall for 30 seconds and then on again and same with the
    > pc. She is too scared to do this and her husband is not home for
    > hours!

    This is the usual remedy (disconnect the power supply), but myself (a day
    ago), I lost connection, I left my cable-modem disconnected allnight and it
    still didn't connect, disconnected for another couple of hours and it was OK

    > has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system
    > down maybe?

    Sorry, I don't know about the symtoms of a 'Set-Top-Box'

    Patrick, Oct 29, 2003
  15. MiniEmma

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "MiniEmma" <> wrote in

    > I just had a phone call from a distressed technophobe friend. her
    > daughter (3 yrs old) was playing on the pc and then there was "some
    > sort of connection window up" and now there is no connection :S
    >
    > She has her NTL

    Heh, NTL, heh.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 30, 2003
  16. MiniEmma

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "Ralph Mann" <> wrote in

    > MiniEmma said:
    >>
    >> has her daughter clicked something she shouldn't or is the NTL system
    >> down maybe?

    > How could NTL be down if you have been able to access the web site?

    Is this a troll or are you really that stupid?

    I'm just guessing but (even) NTL have **more than one computer and
    telephone line**

    Petit Alexi, Oct 30, 2003