    Thanks,
    Paul
    San Jose, CA

    paul h, Oct 22, 2005

  2. "paul h" <> wrote in message
    news:bjt6f.331$...
    > In checking out new laptops, an option is available to select which
    > filesystem, NTFS or FAT32 is on the disk.
    >
    > I guess I'm inclined to select FAT32, and that is what this current
    > machine
    > uses--but, I have no idea about the reasons for two, and what their
    > advantages/disadvantages are.
    >
    > Anyone shed some light?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul
    > San Jose, CA

    more machine details? I too dithered over moving to NTFS but have no
    regrets under XP.

    Geoff Pearson, Oct 22, 2005

  3. paul h

    Tony Guest

    "paul h" <> wrote in message
    > In checking out new laptops, an option is available to select which
    > filesystem, NTFS or FAT32 is on the disk.
    >
    > I guess I'm inclined to select FAT32, and that is what this current
    > machine
    > uses--but, I have no idea about the reasons for two, and what their
    > advantages/disadvantages are.
    >
    > Anyone shed some light?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul
    > San Jose, CA

    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm - basically ntfs is more secure, can
    handle bigger file sizes and is more efficient on a larger drive.

    Tony, Oct 22, 2005
  4. paul h

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:56:55 +0000, paul h wrote:

    > In checking out new laptops, an option is available to select which
    > filesystem, NTFS or FAT32 is on the disk.
    >
    > I guess I'm inclined to select FAT32, and that is what this current machine
    > uses--but, I have no idea about the reasons for two, and what their
    > advantages/disadvantages are.
    >
    > Anyone shed some light?

    NTFS

    Meat Plow, Oct 22, 2005
  5. paul h

    Dave Lear Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...n-us/choosing_between_ntfs_fat_and_fat32.mspx

    Dave Lear, Oct 22, 2005
  6. paul h

    Tony P. Guest

    In article <bjt6f.331$>,
    says...
    > In checking out new laptops, an option is available to select which
    > filesystem, NTFS or FAT32 is on the disk.
    >
    > I guess I'm inclined to select FAT32, and that is what this current machine
    > uses--but, I have no idea about the reasons for two, and what their
    > advantages/disadvantages are.
    >
    > Anyone shed some light?

    NTFS gives you security options that FAT32 is incapable of providing.
    You can encrypt files and volumes, set file permissions for different
    users, etc. under NTFS whereas under FAT32 none of that is possible.

    Tony P., Oct 22, 2005
  7. paul h

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Tony P. wrote:
    > In article <bjt6f.331$>,
    > says...
    >> In checking out new laptops, an option is available to select which
    >> filesystem, NTFS or FAT32 is on the disk.
    >>
    >> I guess I'm inclined to select FAT32, and that is what this current
    >> machine uses--but, I have no idea about the reasons for two, and
    >> what their advantages/disadvantages are.
    >>
    >> Anyone shed some light?

    > NTFS gives you security options that FAT32 is incapable of providing.
    > You can encrypt files and volumes, set file permissions for different
    > users, etc. under NTFS whereas under FAT32 none of that is possible.

    True. But some of the NTFS features are not available in XP Home, so that's
    the rest of the formula. You need to decide if you want those NTFS features
    that are only available in XP Pro as well as NTFS or FAT32.

    Personally, I use XP Home with NTFS most of the time. I don't need
    encryption, for example. But I still prefer the stability and reliability of
    NTFS.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 22, 2005
  8. paul h

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:56:55 GMT The mouse clicked and "paul h"
    <> sent this :

    >In checking out new laptops, an option is available to select which
    >filesystem, NTFS or FAT32 is on the disk.
    >
    >I guess I'm inclined to select FAT32, and that is what this current machine
    >uses--but, I have no idea about the reasons for two, and what their
    >advantages/disadvantages are.
    >
    >Anyone shed some light?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Paul
    >San Jose, CA

    MS state that NTFS is more secure.They don't state why and will not
    guarantee data loss from any file system therefore it isn't.

    Fat and FAT32 the same.

    Only choice you have to make really is that NTFS does not have the
    file size and partition limitations that FAT32 has and if you are
    going to copy/burn DVDs then go NTFS(4.5 gig DVD no probs with NTFS).

    So in conclusion.If you have an O/S that will run on NTFS,then use
    that.

    Caveat:With NTFS installed switch of the indexing of the drives.It
    won't help you out if something screws up and will slow down your
    Laptop computer much the same as,"System Restore".

    Better to,"Image" your drive to a CDR/DVD than trust,"ANY" file
    system or MS restore system.

    For CDRs read here,

    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdback.html

    whenever I can be arsed to buy a DVD burner I'll update me page for
    that.

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Oct 23, 2005