    Partition Magic (version 8) or the Convert command.

    Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.
    , Jul 22, 2004

  2. philo Guest

    wrote:
    > I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
    >
    > I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
    > between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
    >
    > Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
    > leave it alone.
    >
    > Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
    > after a lockup?
    >
    > I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
    > one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
    >
    > And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
    > Partition Magic (version 8) or the Convert command.
    >
    > Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

    although i have a similar setup and have had no problems...
    if i had it all to do over i'd probably start out with NTFS simply due
    to better fault tolerance
    philo, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Win 98 cannot use NTFS partitions. If you need to dual boot 98 and XP from
    the same physical drive, then you can only use FAT32.

    Jase

    Jason Redmill, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Me Guest

    wrote:

    > Which is less likely to suffer data loss, after a lockup?

    Neither if you disable write-behind caching.
    Me, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Guest

    I am no longer Dual Booting; this is why I was considering converting
    Drive C: to NTFS.

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:50:51 GMT, "Jason Redmill"
    <> wrote:

    >Win 98 cannot use NTFS partitions. If you need to dual boot 98 and XP from
    >the same physical drive, then you can only use FAT32.
    >
    >Jase
    >
    >"philo" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >> > I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
    >> >
    >> > I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
    >> > between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
    >> >
    >> > Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
    >> > leave it alone.
    >> >
    >> > Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
    >> > after a lockup?
    >> >
    >> > I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
    >> > one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
    >> >
    >> > And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
    >> > Partition Magic (version 8) or the Convert command.
    >> >
    >> > Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

    >> although i have a similar setup and have had no problems...
    >> if i had it all to do over i'd probably start out with NTFS simply due
    >> to better fault tolerance

    , Jul 23, 2004
  6. Unk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:16:52 -0500, wrote:
    >I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
    >I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
    >between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
    >Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
    >leave it alone.
    >
    >Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
    >after a lockup?
    >
    >I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
    >one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
    >
    >And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
    >Partition Magic (version 8) or the Convert command.
    >
    >Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

    NTFS vs FAT32, FAT16, FAT - Comparing Performance
    http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

    Overview of FAT, HPFS, and NTFS File Systems
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=100108

    Limitations of the FAT32 in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314463

    Choosing between NTFS, FAT, and FAT32
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

    NTFS Versus Fat32
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3201552,00.html
    Unk, Jul 23, 2004
  7. mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, mused:

    | I am no longer Dual Booting; this is why I was considering converting
    | Drive C: to NTFS.

    If you do elect to convert, make sure you use a utility that allows your
    to set the cluster size of the new NTFS partition. I believe the default is
    512 for a conversion while the default for a fresh NTFS format is 4k.
    Partition Magic allows you to set the cluster size for a FAT32 conversion.
    mhicaoidh, Jul 24, 2004