    or printers?
    Thanks for any info.
    John
    jeh, Dec 27, 2006

  2. jeh

    Baron Guest

    jeh wrote:

    > I reinstalled XP the other day and the question of which to use came
    > up--nfts or fat 32. Since I was familiar with the term fat 32 I
    > used it-and since it said I could switch to the other later if I
    > wanted to,
    > but couldn't switch back. What's the difference between the two,
    > which
    > should I use? I also have a laptop wirelessly networked with this
    > one and it says it is nfts--will the two of them conflict in sharing
    > files or printers?
    > Thanks for any info.
    > John

    No ! You may not notice ant difference !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Dec 27, 2006

  3. jeh

    bmoag Guest

    Theoretically NTFS is more efficient and allows for better security.
    In the real world for most users it hardly matters. Fat32 allows for
    compression which can actually cram more data onto a drive than NTFS but has
    risks of file corruption. Microsoft has made NTFS its defacto standard. It
    was threatening a new format for Vista but couldn't get the thing to work.
    bmoag, Dec 27, 2006
  4. jeh

    Robert Baer Guest

    bmoag wrote:

    > Theoretically NTFS is more efficient and allows for better security.
    > In the real world for most users it hardly matters. Fat32 allows for
    > compression which can actually cram more data onto a drive than NTFS but has
    > risks of file corruption. Microsoft has made NTFS its defacto standard. It
    > was threatening a new format for Vista but couldn't get the thing to work.

    Well, there *are* differences.
    In Win2000, a FAT32 partition is recognized only if it is 32,769Mbytes
    or smaller, otherwise it wil be seen as empty and unuseable.
    In Win98SE, a FAT32 partition can be much larger (limit untried) and
    still be recognized and fully useable.
    Cannot say what the case for WinXP because i will not use it for
    myself.
    Robert Baer, Dec 27, 2006
  5. jeh

    jeh Guest

    jeh wrote:
    > I reinstalled XP the other day and the question of which to use came
    > up--nfts or fat 32. Since I was familiar with the term fat 32 I used
    > it-and since it said I could switch to the other later if I wanted to,
    > but couldn't switch back. What's the difference between the two, which
    > should I use? I also have a laptop wirelessly networked with this one
    > and it says it is nfts--will the two of them conflict in sharing files
    > or printers?
    > Thanks for any info.
    > John

    Hummm. I guess I'll just not worry about it. Sounds like it won't make
    much difference anyway in my case. Thanks.
    John
    jeh, Dec 27, 2006