NTFS Screwed Up?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hotmail user, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. hotmail user

    hotmail user Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a spare Windows XP Home box with NTFS. Recently it started display
    the chkdsk at every startup, and proceedes to recover files. As this runs
    at every startup, I ran an on demand scan with the recover bad sector switch
    .... which then proceedes to recover bad clusters. Seeing this message, I
    decided to run a full surface check, and have used 3 seperate programs, all
    of which report no disk errors.

    I have since made an image of the current install, and reinstalled windows
    on a cleanly formated partition (NTFS), copied lots of files to simulate
    usage, and then run several checks again ... all is fine. So, I am assuming
    the file system is screwed somehow. I then used Barts-PE bootdisk to make
    an MS Backup of all the files on the system over the network to another
    drive, then formated the disk, and then proceeded to copy the files back,
    hoping the file system issue would be resolved ... but no, there are still
    errors.

    Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? or know of any 3rd party software
    to resolve this problem?

    My last resort would be to backup data and do a fresh install then restore
    the data again.

    Thanks for any help!

    Kind Regards
    -Neil Young
    hotmail user, Jul 16, 2007

  2. hotmail user wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a spare Windows XP Home box with NTFS. Recently it started display
    > the chkdsk at every startup, and proceedes to recover files. As this runs
    > at every startup, I ran an on demand scan with the recover bad sector switch
    > ... which then proceedes to recover bad clusters. Seeing this message, I
    > decided to run a full surface check, and have used 3 seperate programs, all
    > of which report no disk errors.
    >
    > I have since made an image of the current install, and reinstalled windows
    > on a cleanly formated partition (NTFS), copied lots of files to simulate
    > usage, and then run several checks again ... all is fine. So, I am assuming
    > the file system is screwed somehow. I then used Barts-PE bootdisk to make
    > an MS Backup of all the files on the system over the network to another
    > drive, then formated the disk, and then proceeded to copy the files back,
    > hoping the file system issue would be resolved ... but no, there are still
    > errors.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? or know of any 3rd party software
    > to resolve this problem?
    >
    > My last resort would be to backup data and do a fresh install then restore
    > the data again.

    You didn't mention the name brand of the drive, but most mfg's have
    diagnostic software for downloading or on a disk included with the
    drive. There's also Spinrite which is supposed to be the most thorough
    test of a drive and it will attempt to restore order to the files. But
    I'd think your last resort would be getting a new drive. $45 spent at
    www.newegg.com will get you a pretty decent drive, including shipping.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 16, 2007

  3. hotmail user

    hotmail user Guest

    Thanks for a quick reply,

    The drive is a Seagate, and I have downloaded the SeaTools as one of the
    surface test utils I tried.

    I do have a spare disk, so I will try swapping over first, then restoring
    the image / backup files and see how it goes.

    Thanks for your help

    -Neil Young

    hotmail user, Jul 16, 2007
  4. hotmail user wrote:
    > Thanks for a quick reply,
    >
    > The drive is a Seagate, and I have downloaded the SeaTools as one of the
    > surface test utils I tried.
    >
    > I do have a spare disk, so I will try swapping over first, then restoring
    > the image / backup files and see how it goes.
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > -Neil Young

    Liked your work with Crosby, Stills and Nash.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 16, 2007
  5. hotmail user

    Guest

    "hotmail user" <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I have a spare Windows XP Home box with NTFS. Recently it started display
    >the chkdsk at every startup, and proceedes to recover files. As this runs
    >at every startup, I ran an on demand scan with the recover bad sector switch
    >... which then proceedes to recover bad clusters. Seeing this message, I
    >decided to run a full surface check, and have used 3 seperate programs, all
    >of which report no disk errors.

    Start | Run <type in>
    REGEDIT
    <enter>

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    double click on BootExecute entry make sure you have -
    autocheck autochk * - listed

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w