    Active directory environment. I'm more curious about this then anything else
    as I can recreate the few NTFS permissions which are on this drive.

    Rick
    Rick, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Rick

    Consultant Guest

    are you serious?

    "Rick" <> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > Where are these stored. I need to reformat a Sever and was wondering what
    > will happen to the second NTFS volume which will not be reformatted.

    Anyone

    Consultant, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Rick

    Johnny Guest

    Hmm... If you don't know where they are why are you even
    touching the Server? If you want a list of permission
    settings try using a third party DACL auditor that will
    save them to a txt file. otherwise kill it and reinstall
    it and do your own stuff.

    Johnny, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Rick

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    NTFS permissions are stored in the MFLD. The MFLD sector is very vulnerable
    to the "format virus", so you might want to back up the MFLD before you
    format. However Windows isn't capable of doing this natively (Don't ask me
    what MS was thinking!). You'll need to download XPressMFLDBackup. The
    problem is, this program was written to run on Linux. This means you must
    first install either Red Hat (v12 or higher!) or Mandrake. Install your
    Linux distro on your Q: drive. Do not install it to /root. When asked how to
    format your Q: drive by Linux, you must format it with the XP filesystem.
    Once you have Linux up and running, you can install XPressMFLDBackup, and
    access the MFLD. Be careful, because to do this you'll need to use the TX3
    protocol, not TX2! Set this up by going to the "Options" menu within
    XPressMFLDBackup. Once you have accessed the MFLD, you can export it.
    Unfortunately, with this program, you can only export to a Unix server. If
    you don't have one, you'll have to go ahead and set one up before you go any
    further, or else your MFLD will be corrupt (it will export to a Windows box,
    but it corrupts as soon as the export finishes.) Now that your MFLD is safe
    on another computer, you are free to go ahead and re-format your server.

    When you have Windows reinstalled, boot back into Linux and fire up
    XPressMFLDBackup one more time. Now, import your MFLD. It will ask you what
    physical location you want it to go on your hard drive. You want to put it
    on the FIRST sector AFTER your MBR.
    To find out where your MBR ends, you need yet another program called
    MBRWhere. This will tell you where your MBR is, how large it is, and even
    break it down for you in a nice easy to read format. Find out where it ends,
    and put your MFLD there. It shouldn't take up more than one sector, it's
    very small. If it *does* take up more than one sector, you'll have to
    re-format again, reinstall windows again and go back into XPressMFLD and
    select "Compress" from the "Options" menu. Compress the MFLD so it will fit
    onto one sector, and try it again. If it fails again, repeat. (that is,
    format your hard drive, reinstall windows, etc, and import your MFLD again.)

    That's it! Simple.

    --

    KB

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Rick

    JaR Guest

    "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in message
    > NTFS permissions are stored in the MFLD. The MFLD sector is very

    vulnerable
    > to the "format virus", <schnippedy>

    Could you please provide a link to XPressMFLDBackup?

    This sounds like an extremely useful utility!

    Thanks!

    JaR

    *Oh, BTW, you owe me a keyboard, and you scared my cat.
    JaR, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Rick

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    > Could you please provide a link to XPressMFLDBackup?
    >
    > This sounds like an extremely useful utility!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > JaR
    >
    > *Oh, BTW, you owe me a keyboard, and you scared my cat.

    I only scared your cat because you kicked my dog.

    Oh, XPressMFLDBackup can be found at:

    http://www.xpresssoftware.com/software/utilities/linux/mfldbackup/download/v
    ersion32/build134/english/xpressmfldbackupinstallationpackageversion32build1
    34b.exe

    Watch the wrap.

    --

    KB

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Rick

    > > I only scared your cat because you kicked my dog.

    You try to confuse!

    JaR
    JaR, Oct 22, 2003
  8. JaR wrote:
    > "Ken Briscoe" <> wrote in message
    >>> I only scared your cat because you kicked my dog.

    > You try to confuse!

    You know damn right.

    So, are you coming to pick me up? At the airport?

    --
    Fris "Oops, Kerpal drift" beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Oct 23, 2003
  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I should have figured that if I asked the question I would get flamed. I see
    that NTFS stores the ACL with every file and folder entry for the volume. I
    also understand that each ACL entry has an ACE with it which specifies what
    rights have been assigned. If the ACL is a SID from the Domain the rights
    will be unaffected. However, if the SID was from a local account it will not
    work after the reformat because the local SAM database has been erased in
    the reformat.

    My humble apology for asking such an ignorant question

    Rick
    Rick, Oct 23, 2003