NTFS parition / file system / drive crash How can I fix ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by paladin2112, Sep 18, 2004.

  1. paladin2112

    paladin2112 Guest

    Hello any NTFS gurus,

    I don't know what happened, but I left my 2 NTFS drives both 120 gb to copy
    a file (20gb) from one to the other. The one drive has 2 drives partition K
    & L and the other drive was one partition. Drive M.
    I came back home and found my windows 2000 system was re-booted and when I
    looked at the drive tree k&l where no where to be seen and M looked fine,
    but when I tried to open a folder I got " error inpage" and nothing would
    open or be accessible. I rebooted and ran chkdisk on M:. It found a file
    size error and fixed and the drive came back and files and folders worked. I
    copied a couple of crucial files, since now I don't now trust the drive.
    When I re-booted it to see if I could locate the K & L drive with disk
    manager. The M drive now came up as "local disk" and is not accessible and
    keeps asking me if I want to format. Which I say no to. I don't care what
    happened. I just want to get my files back on both drives. I suspect
    something has gone wrong with file system structure on the M: drive and a
    partition error on the K&L: drive.
    How do I go about fixing this ? These are not boot drives either so ERD
    (which I have it ) doesn't seem to help this problem. Any insight greatly
    appreciated !

    Thank You,
    Phoenix
    Any help please e-mail me at

    p.s. this has happened before on 2 fat32 and 1 NTFS drives for me when
    Norton diskdoctor crashed doing a drive fix. I took them in to a local
    computer store and for $250 they guy used a bit map editor. moved
    something's around and wham! all files and directories where back. So I know
    that somehow there is a fix. If I have to go that route I will, but really
    need to save the bucks since its 2 drives this time !!! Thank You for any
    assistance

    paladin2112, Sep 18, 2004

  2. paladin2112

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:45:04 GMT, paladin2112 wrote:

    >Hello any NTFS gurus,
    >
    >I don't know what happened, but I left my 2 NTFS drives both 120 gb to copy
    >a file (20gb) from one to the other. The one drive has 2 drives partition K
    >& L and the other drive was one partition. Drive M.
    >I came back home and found my windows 2000 system was re-booted and when I
    >looked at the drive tree k&l where no where to be seen and M looked fine,
    >but when I tried to open a folder I got " error inpage" and nothing would

    Get that sometimes, so far recoverable.

    <snip>

    When I did have a different problem, this recovered everything. It was 3
    x 10GB partitions. Although only used once it's going on my essential
    toolkit list from now on as a just in case.

    GetDataBack for NTFS
    http://www.runtime.org/

    Do not install on any drive you need to recover data from, if you can't
    do that. Buy a new disk(s) with enough space to recover on to , install
    windows and GetDataBack then set old drives to slaves.

    I ran that (free download is read only) , found it could see what I
    needed to recover paid for a key and in 5 minutes was recovering the
    data.

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2004