    format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
    drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
    F.

    Freebie, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:T90Tf.216976$,
    Freebie spewed forth:
    > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the
    > drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should
    > I perform the format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any
    > problem reading the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too
    > clue-d up on partitions). F.

    Unless you intend to also use that USB hard drive on a computer running
    Windows 98 or ME, leave it formatted as NTFS. It is more reliable and
    secure.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP
    > tells me the drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's
    > partition is FAT32, so should I perform the format again,
    > or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading
    > the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
    > on partitions). F.

    If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
    NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
    itself. XP can read NTFS or FAT32 so you have not lost any data.
    Everything should be A-OK.

    There is a never ending debate about NTFS vs. FAT32, but two
    reasons to have NTFS is SP2 security and the ability to create
    files larger than about 2 gig.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    "Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." – Henry Ford

    All Things Mopar, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    > Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >

    >> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP
    >> tells me the drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's
    >> partition is FAT32, so should I perform the format again,
    >> or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading
    >> the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
    >> on partitions). F.
    >>

    > If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
    > NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
    > itself.

    Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user has the choice of
    FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 18, 2006
  5. Freebie

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <T90Tf.216976$>, Freebie
    says...

    > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
    > partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
    > format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
    > drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
    > F.

    Google for DVDSanta

    about the easiest and most effective way of doing it

    Flying Rat, Mar 18, 2006
  6. Freebie

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>, Flying Rat
    says...
    > In article <T90Tf.216976$>, Freebie
    > says...
    > >
    > > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
    > > partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
    > > format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
    > > drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
    > > F.
    > >

    > Google for DVDSanta
    >
    > about the easiest and most effective way of doing it

    arse! Wrong message replied to

    Flying Rat, Mar 18, 2006
  7. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Flying Rat spewed forth:
    > In article <>, Flying Rat
    > says...
    >> In article <T90Tf.216976$>,
    >> Freebie says...
    >>>
    >>> I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the
    >>> drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so
    >>> should I perform the format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC
    >>> have any problem reading the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm
    >>> not too clue-d up on partitions).
    >>> F.
    >>>

    >> Google for DVDSanta
    >>
    >> about the easiest and most effective way of doing it
    >>

    > arse! Wrong message replied to

    (oops!) That can happen <g>

    Toolman Tim, Mar 18, 2006
  8. Freebie

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    > All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    >
    >>Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >>

    >>>I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP
    >>>tells me the drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's
    >>>partition is FAT32, so should I perform the format again,
    >>>or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading
    >>>the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
    >>>on partitions). F.
    >>>

    >>If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
    >>NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
    >>itself.

    > Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user has the choice of
    > FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

    Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the HD when it installs."

    Rick Merrill, Mar 18, 2006
  9. Today Rick Merrill commented courteously on the subject at
    hand

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    >> All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    >>
    >>>If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition -
    >>>C:\ - is NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when
    >>>it installs itself.

    >> Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user
    >> has the choice of FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

    > Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the
    > HD when it installs."

    Rick, I Googled for this and technically Tim is correct. XP
    /will/ format FAT32 and install itself, but you have to be
    tenacious about it. As you say, if you let XP install using
    its defaults, it will format NTFS, or it will install to a
    separate multi-boot partition if you have a boot manager
    installed.

    Both my PCs started life as SP1. I have SP2 on my newer one. I
    tried to Google and look in the M$ KB for SP2 requirements for
    NTFS but came up blank. But, being that there is literally no
    place in FAT32 for the (ersatz) security functions of SP2 I
    cannot believe it would even try to install itself. Not
    wanting to nuke and reinstall just to make a point <grin>, my
    guess is that an upgrade to SP2 would fail and, I suspect, an
    SP2-only install CD wouldn't give you the option of FAT32.

    I'm assuming a lot here, and you know what happens when you
    ass/u/me - it makes an ass out of you and me! <grin>

    All Things Mopar, Mar 19, 2006
  10. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rick Merrill spewed forth:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    >> All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    >>
    >>> Today Freebie commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>> If you have XP, by definition, your primary partition - C:\ - is
    >>> NTFS. XP requires NTFS and formats your HD when it installs
    >>> itself.

    >> Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user has the
    >> choice of FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

    > Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the HD when it
    > installs."

    Yes it does. It formats the drive. But it asks you how YOU want it
    formated - quick or full format in NTFS, quick or full format in FAT32. At
    least, the several dozen or so computers I've set up from scratch did...

    Toolman Tim, Mar 19, 2006
  11. Freebie

    Freebie Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > Today Rick Merrill commented courteously on the subject at
    > hand
    >
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:
    >>> In news:Xns978AB68D9982CReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    >>> All Things Mopar spewed forth:

    >>> Wrong. XP runs just fine in a FAT32 partition. The user
    >>> has the choice of FAT32 or NTFS partitions during setup.

    >> Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the
    >> HD when it installs."
    >>

    > Rick, I Googled for this and technically Tim is correct. XP
    > /will/ format FAT32 and install itself, but you have to be
    > tenacious about it. As you say, if you let XP install using
    > its defaults, it will format NTFS, or it will install to a
    > separate multi-boot partition if you have a boot manager
    > installed.
    >
    > Both my PCs started life as SP1. I have SP2 on my newer one. I
    > tried to Google and look in the M$ KB for SP2 requirements for
    > NTFS but came up blank. But, being that there is literally no
    > place in FAT32 for the (ersatz) security functions of SP2 I
    > cannot believe it would even try to install itself. Not
    > wanting to nuke and reinstall just to make a point <grin>, my
    > guess is that an upgrade to SP2 would fail and, I suspect, an
    > SP2-only install CD wouldn't give you the option of FAT32.
    >
    > I'm assuming a lot here, and you know what happens when you
    > ass/u/me - it makes an ass out of you and me! <grin>
    >
    > --
    > ATM, aka Jerry
    >
    > "Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." - Henry
    > Ford

    My Win XP Pro setup is SP2 and the partition is FAT 32. If I attempt to
    convert it to NTFS. will this affect the data on the drive? Will Win XP even
    'let' me convert?
    F.

    Freebie, Mar 19, 2006
  12. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:1M1Tf.218756$,
    Freebie spewed forth:
    > "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    >> Today Rick Merrill commented courteously on the subject at
    >> hand

    >>> Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the
    >>> HD when it installs."
    >>>

    >> Rick, I Googled for this and technically Tim is correct. XP
    >> /will/ format FAT32 and install itself, but you have to be
    >> tenacious about it. As you say, if you let XP install using
    >> its defaults, it will format NTFS, or it will install to a
    >> separate multi-boot partition if you have a boot manager
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> Both my PCs started life as SP1. I have SP2 on my newer one. I
    >> tried to Google and look in the M$ KB for SP2 requirements for
    >> NTFS but came up blank. But, being that there is literally no
    >> place in FAT32 for the (ersatz) security functions of SP2 I
    >> cannot believe it would even try to install itself. Not
    >> wanting to nuke and reinstall just to make a point <grin>, my
    >> guess is that an upgrade to SP2 would fail and, I suspect, an
    >> SP2-only install CD wouldn't give you the option of FAT32.
    >>
    >> I'm assuming a lot here, and you know what happens when you
    >> ass/u/me - it makes an ass out of you and me! <grin>
    >>
    >> --
    >> ATM, aka Jerry
    >>
    >> "Whether You Think You CAN Or CAN'T, You're Right." - Henry
    >> Ford

    > My Win XP Pro setup is SP2 and the partition is FAT 32. If I attempt
    > to convert it to NTFS. will this affect the data on the drive? Will
    > Win XP even 'let' me convert?
    > F.

    Yes, you can convert. In fact, that's the name of the command you need -
    convert.exe. Your data SHOULD be okay, but you know the three cardinal rules
    of computing, right?

    1) backup
    2) backup
    3) backup

    Toolman Tim, Mar 19, 2006
  13. Today Toolman Tim commented courteously on the subject at
    hand

    >> Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the
    >> HD when it installs."

    > Yes it does. It formats the drive. But it asks you how YOU
    > want it formated - quick or full format in NTFS, quick or
    > full format in FAT32. At least, the several dozen or so
    > computers I've set up from scratch did...

    Tim, where exactly does SP2 stuff all the security thingies
    (that's a technical term <grin>) into a FAT32 file structure
    that is 100% ignorant of it?

    All Things Mopar, Mar 19, 2006
  14. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns978ACF1D8B0BBReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    > Today Toolman Tim commented courteously on the subject at
    > hand
    >
    >>> Wrong! Mopar was correct: "XP [if left alone] FORMATS the
    >>> HD when it installs."

    >> Yes it does. It formats the drive. But it asks you how YOU
    >> want it formated - quick or full format in NTFS, quick or
    >> full format in FAT32. At least, the several dozen or so
    >> computers I've set up from scratch did...

    > Tim, where exactly does SP2 stuff all the security thingies
    > (that's a technical term <grin>) into a FAT32 file structure
    > that is 100% ignorant of it?

    It doesn't. It isn't available when writing files to a FAT32 partition.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 19, 2006
  15. Today Toolman Tim commented courteously on the subject at
    hand

    >> Tim, where exactly does SP2 stuff all the security
    >> thingies (that's a technical term <grin>) into a FAT32
    >> file structure that is 100% ignorant of it?

    > It doesn't. It isn't available when writing files to a
    > FAT32 partition.

    That's what I'd postulated before. So, why the hell would Bill
    the Gates allow his newest, best, most secure O/S - Win XP SP2 -
    to even install itself on a FAT32 partition, knowing that all
    the security rewrites covering nearly the entire set of code
    would be renedered moot?

    All Things Mopar, Mar 19, 2006
  16. Freebie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns978AD424EEFAEReplyID@216.196.97.131,
    All Things Mopar spewed forth:
    > Today Toolman Tim commented courteously on the subject at
    > hand
    >
    >>> Tim, where exactly does SP2 stuff all the security
    >>> thingies (that's a technical term <grin>) into a FAT32
    >>> file structure that is 100% ignorant of it?

    >> It doesn't. It isn't available when writing files to a
    >> FAT32 partition.

    > That's what I'd postulated before. So, why the hell would Bill
    > the Gates allow his newest, best, most secure O/S - Win XP SP2 -
    > to even install itself on a FAT32 partition, knowing that all
    > the security rewrites covering nearly the entire set of code
    > would be renedered moot?

    Compatibility.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 19, 2006
  17. Freebie

    10_4 Guest

    "Freebie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the
    > drive's partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I
    > perform the format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any
    > problem reading the drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up
    > on partitions).
    > F.

    <> Reading all the post I would like to comment:
    Windows 2000 and XP will by default install on a FAT32 format unless you
    pre-format or specify otherwise.

    To convert your drive to NTFS (assuming C is the drive you want to convert)
    go to START/RUN and type in "convert c: /fs:ntfs". Hit ENTER or click OK!
    It will ask some questions but the bottom line is, it will not perform the
    conversion until the next boot. You should not lose anything but it is
    always smart to BACK UP. Never do any changes without backing up your data
    first!!!!!!! Say to yourself 25 times BACK UP DATA!

    Good Luck!

    10_4, Mar 19, 2006
  18. Freebie

    Plato Guest

    Freebie wrote:

    > I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
    > partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
    > format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
    > drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
    > F.

    NTFS for your external drive is OK, assuming you will NEVER need to read
    it on an win9x PC.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 20, 2006
  19. Freebie

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 22:51:31 GMT, "Freebie"
    <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

    >I just formatted an external USB hard-drive and Win XP tells me the drive's
    >partition is now NTFS. My PC's partition is FAT32, so should I perform the
    >format again, or doesn't it matter? Will my PC have any problem reading the
    >drive in the future? (Sorry, but I'm not too clue-d up on partitions).
    >F.

    the bigger question is about cluster sizes. I have always let windows
    use the 'default' selection when creating partitions.

    What are the advantages of having a higher cluster size versus a
    smaller cluster size?

    I kind of understand about small files taking up more space, but Im
    not 100%

    , Mar 20, 2006
  20. Freebie

    Parko Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Unless you intend to also use that USB hard drive on a computer running
    > Windows 98 or ME

    Or Mac or Linux or Solaris or....

    Parko, Mar 21, 2006