    Edward A. Weissbard
    El Paso, TX

    "Life is easy with eyes closed"

    Edward A. Weissbard, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Edward A. Weissbard

    smackedass Guest

    >I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS
    >partition
    > and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
    > program called NTFSforDOS.

    This is good to know. I hope to God that I never have to use it...

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Edward A. Weissbard

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:21:37 GMT, "Edward A. Weissbard"
    <> wrote:

    >I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
    >and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
    >program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
    >boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
    >thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
    >to this freeware program:
    >
    >http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

    Sure. One other way is BartPE. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Which has as a major advantage, that the actual writing to NTFS
    partitions is done by Microsoft Windows.
    Which may not be a bad idee, given the poor compatibility record
    of 'third party writing to ntfs'-software.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Feb 5, 2006
  4. Thanks for the other information Gerard.

    Edward A. Weissbard, Feb 5, 2006
  5. Edward A. Weissbard

    pgluth1 Guest

    I am certainly not an expert in this realm, but I have great luck using
    INSERT Linux - a "Live CD." (INside SEcurity Rescue Toolkit) From the
    website it claims it supports:

    EXT2,EXT3,MINIX,REISERFS,JFS,XFS,NTFS,FAT,MSDOS,NFS,SMBFS,CIFS,NCPFS,UDF,AF
    S,EFS,HFS,HFS+,HPFS,SHFS,UFS,UNIONFS

    So far, I have only had to use it for NTFS, FAT, EXT2 & 3. I can't vouch
    for the others.

    Best of all, it is only 50 megs, works on a Knoppix base, and also has the
    basics of a full operating system and anti-virus. I know mixing platforms
    is not encouraged for A+, but as a useful tool, I really enjoy it.
    Moreover, I have used the Knoppix DVD and CD and STD and found that INSERT
    has better and more reliable NTFS writing abilities. I recently rescued a
    Pentium Win98 system by carefully rewritting some files from the INSERT CD.
    I am not a Linux power-user and this uses a very stripped (though very
    fast) graphical interface. It is easy for any average Linux user, but might
    be a nightmare for a Windows user who just wants to fix something.

    As an aside, there is also a collection of open source programs called the
    "Ultimate Boot CD" and not only does it have a lot of nifty utilities, it
    also includes a slightly older version of INSERT.

    http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    pgluth1, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Thanks pgluth1 for the info.........that one sounds really interesting.
    That sure is a lot of different types of partitions, most of them I never
    heard of.

    Edward A. Weissbard, Feb 6, 2006
  7. Edward A. Weissbard

    Zaphod B. Guest

    Edward A. Weissbard wrote :
    > I was recently in a position where I had to copy a file to an NTFS partition
    > and I didn't have access to Recovery Console. I did find a very useful
    > program called NTFSforDOS. It copies additional software to a Windows9x
    > boot disk so that it can mount NTFS drives. I found it very useful when I
    > thought I didn't have a choice without Recovery Console. The link follows
    > to this freeware program:
    >
    > http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/
    >
    > Thanks,

    Another real goody is CIA Commander.
    * Accesses any NTFS partition
    * Gives you chance change any passwords
    * Gives you full access to NTFS from CIA Commander-DOS
    * With registry-editor included
    * Easy to use - all features offered through GUI

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Misc__Utilities/CIA_Commander.html

    --
    Zaphod B.

    WISH LIST ITEM

    "For people who like peace and quiet: A phoneless cord."

    Zaphod B., Feb 7, 2006
  8. Edward A. Weissbard

    Guest

    Greetings,

    The other great tool is definately NTFS Reader. That allows you to
    access NTFS system in DOS oe Windows 98\me. The tool helped me before
    and I can say it is really reliable. The tool itself can be found on a
    data utils set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk that also inclides truly
    mighty tools for data erase, restore and backup.

    http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

    , Feb 8, 2006
  9. Edward A. Weissbard

    Bob Bosen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > The other great tool is definately NTFS Reader. That allows you to
    > access NTFS system in DOS oe Windows 98\me. The tool helped me before
    > and I can say it is really reliable. The tool itself can be found on a
    > data utils set CD image, Active@ Boot Disk that also inclides truly
    > mighty tools for data erase, restore and backup.
    >
    > http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

    Thanks for that info. I'm going to give it a try because I sometimes run
    into this situation.

    -Bob Bosen-
    http://www.AskMisterWizard.com (Instructional Videos)

    Bob Bosen, Feb 21, 2006