NTFS compress VS folder compress in x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by jienmin, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. jienmin

    jienmin Guest

    Clear Dayhi all, got a little confuse here that from microsoft declaration.
    compress folder hav no performance degration while ntfs compress has. I'm
    wondering which is a better way for me to save disk space yet using it as
    ordinary folders and drives. From all your experts out there which do you
    think functions better? and also i found that microsoft mentioned that
    folder compress is not available in x64.. so does that means the folder
    compress in the x64 i'm using is not valid?

    Thanks in advance.
    min

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0535-2, 08/31/2005
    Tested on: 9/2/2005 1:28:02 AM
    jienmin, Sep 1, 2005

  2. jienmin

    zekolas Guest

    jienmin wrote:
    > Clear Dayhi all, got a little confuse here that from microsoft declaration.
    > compress folder hav no performance degration while ntfs compress has. I'm
    > wondering which is a better way for me to save disk space yet using it as
    > ordinary folders and drives. From all your experts out there which do you
    > think functions better? and also i found that microsoft mentioned that
    > folder compress is not available in x64.. so does that means the folder
    > compress in the x64 i'm using is not valid?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Just do a disk cleanup and put a check into "compress old files" box.
    Hard drive space is pretty cheap, if your going to throw down enough for
    an AMD64, throw a couple extra dollars down for an extra hard drive.

    I would adive agaist compressing the full drive.
    zekolas, Sep 2, 2005