ntbackup question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Todd, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Todd

    Todd Guest

    This problem needs a little background...

    My company is trying to come up with a way for our clients to backup
    their data using 2 External Hard Drives. Here is the process in which
    we envision this working.

    On Friday of each week we want their files to automatically backup at
    night. This will be a differential backup and will backup all the work
    from the week that just happened (IE: if today were friday it would back
    up today, yesterday, wed, tues, mon).

    On Monday our client would swap drives...take the one that backed up on
    Friday back offsite and backup the new one by manually running a normal
    backup and choosing the same exact dates that were backed up on Drive 1.

    If I have outlined this enough here is the problem I have come across.
    We would like the filename to include the date that the backup was
    performed on..thus making them easier to search and recover later. This
    is not a problem for when the user is working manually however I do not
    know how I would go about this on Fridays when the updates will
    automatically be scheduled to run. I believe I will need a batch file
    to make it work. Would anyone know how to write a batch file that would
    rename and save the filename after the date in yyyymmdd.bkf format on
    the destination drive?

    Also open to alternative ideas...

    Todd, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Todd

    John Holmes Guest

    Todd blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > This problem nee

    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    --
    Your mother was an obscene mud wrestler who burnt her bra in brothels.

    John Holmes, Dec 14, 2005

  3. Todd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Todd spewed forth:
    > This problem needs a little background...
    >
    > My company is trying to come up with a way for our clients to backup
    > their data using 2 External Hard Drives. Here is the process in which
    > we envision this working.
    >
    > On Friday of each week we want their files to automatically backup at
    > night. This will be a differential backup and will backup all the
    > work from the week that just happened (IE: if today were friday it
    > would back up today, yesterday, wed, tues, mon).
    >
    > On Monday our client would swap drives...take the one that backed up
    > on Friday back offsite and backup the new one by manually running a
    > normal backup and choosing the same exact dates that were backed up
    > on Drive 1.
    > If I have outlined this enough here is the problem I have come across.
    > We would like the filename to include the date that the backup was
    > performed on..thus making them easier to search and recover later. This is
    > not a problem for when the user is working manually however I
    > do not know how I would go about this on Fridays when the updates will
    > automatically be scheduled to run. I believe I will need a batch file
    > to make it work. Would anyone know how to write a batch file that
    > would rename and save the filename after the date in yyyymmdd.bkf
    > format on the destination drive?
    >
    > Also open to alternative ideas...

    Get a real backup program. I see your problem. I've ran into it before.
    NTBackup is not sophisticaed enough to do that. But many other backup
    programs are capable of creating separate backup files with consecutive
    filenames automatically. Probably not a date, but "Backup0001",
    "Backup0002", etc. (and the file creation date is there as well.)

    I use BackupMyPC by Sonic (well, when I remember <g>) to backup to DVDs here
    at home, but I seem to recall that it uses incremental filenames like above.

    --
    We put the "K" in "Kwality"!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Todd

    FML Guest

    Todd wrote:
    > This problem needs a little background...
    >
    > My company is trying to come up with a way for our clients to backup
    > their data using 2 External Hard Drives. Here is the process in which
    > we envision this working.
    >
    > On Friday of each week we want their files to automatically backup at
    > night. This will be a differential backup and will backup all the work
    > from the week that just happened (IE: if today were friday it would back
    > up today, yesterday, wed, tues, mon).
    >
    > On Monday our client would swap drives...take the one that backed up on
    > Friday back offsite and backup the new one by manually running a normal
    > backup and choosing the same exact dates that were backed up on Drive 1.
    >
    > If I have outlined this enough here is the problem I have come across.
    > We would like the filename to include the date that the backup was
    > performed on..thus making them easier to search and recover later. This
    > is not a problem for when the user is working manually however I do not
    > know how I would go about this on Fridays when the updates will
    > automatically be scheduled to run. I believe I will need a batch file
    > to make it work. Would anyone know how to write a batch file that would
    > rename and save the filename after the date in yyyymmdd.bkf format on
    > the destination drive?
    >
    > Also open to alternative ideas...

    Take a look at the batch files in this article. With a bit of tweaking,
    they should do exactly what you want:

    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBE/tip2200/rh2265.htm

    FML, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > In news:,
    > Todd spewed forth:
    >
    >>This problem needs a little background...
    >>
    >>My company is trying to come up with a way for our clients to backup
    >>their data using 2 External Hard Drives. Here is the process in which
    >>we envision this working.
    >>
    >>On Friday of each week we want their files to automatically backup at
    >>night. This will be a differential backup and will backup all the
    >>work from the week that just happened (IE: if today were friday it
    >>would back up today, yesterday, wed, tues, mon).
    >>
    >>On Monday our client would swap drives...take the one that backed up
    >>on Friday back offsite and backup the new one by manually running a
    >>normal backup and choosing the same exact dates that were backed up
    >>on Drive 1.
    >>If I have outlined this enough here is the problem I have come across.
    >>We would like the filename to include the date that the backup was
    >>performed on..thus making them easier to search and recover later. This is
    >>not a problem for when the user is working manually however I
    >>do not know how I would go about this on Fridays when the updates will
    >>automatically be scheduled to run. I believe I will need a batch file
    >>to make it work. Would anyone know how to write a batch file that
    >>would rename and save the filename after the date in yyyymmdd.bkf
    >>format on the destination drive?
    >>
    >>Also open to alternative ideas...

    > Get a real backup program. I see your problem. I've ran into it before.
    > NTBackup is not sophisticaed enough to do that. But many other backup
    > programs are capable of creating separate backup files with consecutive
    > filenames automatically. Probably not a date, but "Backup0001",
    > "Backup0002", etc. (and the file creation date is there as well.)
    >
    > I use BackupMyPC by Sonic (well, when I remember <g>) to backup to DVDs here
    > at home, but I seem to recall that it uses incremental filenames like above.

    Thank you for the recommendation. This is something I have thought of,
    but I would need to convince my boss that this is the way we would need
    to do it. He loves the ntbackup solution, but if I can't get it working
    otherwise I will def suggest a real program.

    Todd, Dec 14, 2005
  6. Todd

    old man Guest

    You mention External hd's, many come with backup/copy software, allmost
    certainly better than ntbackup.

    old man, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Todd

    Joe Rom King Guest

    Relative Rev Backup by DataMills (http://www.datamills.com) can be a
    good example for your requirements. You have to install an agent for
    each server/workstation, each of which is completely self-sufficient.

    Then you have to buy two or three USB disks and rotate them offsite
    daily. This will give you three disks that carries backup history that
    go months back.

    The USB disk can be hooked to the one of the workstations, preferably
    to the one in charge of replacing the disks.

    Relative Rev Backup is very fast as it works in incremental fashion
    forever including weekly and monthly backup runs (meaning updating only
    the new and changed files). At the same time you will be able to
    recover any file, or a whole folder structure, from any retained
    version in a single restore session.

    You can set up the number of Intra-daily, daily, weekly, and monthly
    version to keep and Relative Rev Backup will get rid of the older ones
    automatically. This will give you a compact robust and hassle free
    backup at a small fraction of an online backup price.

    --
    Joe Rom King
    http://www.datamills.com

    Joe Rom King, Dec 15, 2005
  8. Todd

    John Holmes Guest

    Joe Rom King blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Why are you telling me that, you fucking daft spamming ****?

    --
    Your mother was a self-centered barbarian who spent most of her life at
    the local flea market.

    John Holmes, Dec 15, 2005