    of months. Since our PDC's hardware is old, we are going to purchase a new
    server for the Windows Server 2003 domain controller. What is the easiest
    way to do this?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgS2VsbGV5?=, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Easiest way to do this is to hire someone who is competent
    enough to do it for you.

    By the way... I am available next week... $85 per hour...
    plus consultation fees.

    other old NT4
    >boxes. We are planning to migrate to Windows Server 2003

    in the next couple

    Keyboard Cowboy, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Easiest way:

    if your NT4 PDC box is capable (pentium II, minimum 256 mb ram) upgrade it
    to Win2003 and creat your AD that way. Setup the new box as Win2003, DCPromo
    it, move all the Operations Masters roles to the *new* DC then decommision
    the ex NT4 box.

    Otherwise, setup your new Win2003 Server and use ADMT (active directory
    migration tool) to migrate all your user accounts across. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/default.mspx for
    details or ask more questions here, even though this is a newsgroup for MCSE
    2003, most of us have had experience with NT4 and 2003.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Christopher Kelley" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Wayne McGlinn, Nov 11, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgS2VsbGV5?=

    Kurt Guest

    Ya, I agree 100% with Wayne. Do the in-place upgrade then DCPromo the new
    one, join to domain, transfer roles. DCPromo the old one out of the domain,
    then bring up your new 2003 servers and DCPromo as required.

    Barring this, you can migrate using the Active Directory Migration Tool
    (ADMT). Be sure to download the white paper from MS and follow the
    procedures including the pre-migration tests, especially verifying that you
    have administrative rights in both the new and the old domain. If you have
    Exchange running on your PDC, I'd move it somewhere else first. Otherwise,
    it's not that tough.

    "Wayne McGlinn" <> wrote in message
    > Easiest way:
    >
    > if your NT4 PDC box is capable (pentium II, minimum 256 mb ram) upgrade it
    > to Win2003 and creat your AD that way. Setup the new box as Win2003,

    DCPromo
    > it, move all the Operations Masters roles to the *new* DC then decommision
    > the ex NT4 box.
    >
    > Otherwise, setup your new Win2003 Server and use ADMT (active directory
    > migration tool) to migrate all your user accounts across. See
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/default.mspx for
    > details or ask more questions here, even though this is a newsgroup for

    MCSE
    > 2003, most of us have had experience with NT4 and 2003.
    >
    > Wayne McGlinn
    > Brisbane, Oz
    >
    > "Christopher Kelley" <> wrote

    in

    Kurt, Nov 12, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgS2VsbGV5?=

    Guest Guest

    no never upgrade, If i was you, I woulb be doing a
    complete reinstall and rebuild of the domain.

    <> wrote

    Guest, Nov 12, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgS2VsbGV5?=

    Kurt Guest

    You didn't read the question or the replys. The upgrade is on a server that
    will immediately removed from service. If the server were to remain, I'd say
    no to upgrade. But in this case upgrading the old server takes care of
    migrating all of the user and computer accounts easily. THEN you create the
    new server with a clean install. After bringing up as a domain controller
    and transferring the roles, you take the one you upgraded out and shoot it.

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Nov 13, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXN0b3BoZXIgS2VsbGV5?=

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Kurt" <> prattled ceaslessly in

    > bringing up as a domain controller and transferring the roles, you
    > take the one you upgraded out and shoot it.
    >
    > ...kurt

    I prefer the sledge hammer route myself. More satisfying and you're less
    likely to get the cops surrounding the building. <g>

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    "Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's the day-to-day living that wears you
    out." Anton Chekhov

    catwalker63, Nov 13, 2004