    this, performance in not terrible.

    How common is it for CPU L2 cache to be faulty? (this PC has been
    running Win98 for a long while with the External Cache enabled).
    Zapp Brannigan, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Zapp Brannigan

    Palindrome Guest

    Zapp Brannigan wrote:

    > Trying to install NT4 on a 440LX based PC with a 266Mhz PII Klamath CPU.
    >
    > The 1st reboot of the install always locks up. I spents ages getting
    > this s%&$ working.. Anyhow, as a last ditch thing, I tried the BIO
    > setting "External Cache" setting to Disabled, and low an behold, it now
    > boot perfectly.
    >
    > What I need to know, is what actually does this setting do? Is this the
    > L2 (off dye) Cache that is being disabled, 512k? Even after disabling
    > this, performance in not terrible.

    You are correct.

    > How common is it for CPU L2 cache to be faulty? (this PC has been
    > running Win98 for a long while with the External Cache enabled).

    Checked for any BIOS updates? It isn't common for the cache itself to be
    faulty.
    Palindrome, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Palindrome wrote:

    > Zapp Brannigan wrote:
    >
    >> Trying to install NT4 on a 440LX based PC with a 266Mhz PII Klamath CPU.
    >>
    >> The 1st reboot of the install always locks up. I spents ages getting
    >> this s%&$ working.. Anyhow, as a last ditch thing, I tried the BIO
    >> setting "External Cache" setting to Disabled, and low an behold, it
    >> now boot perfectly.
    >>
    >> What I need to know, is what actually does this setting do? Is this
    >> the L2 (off dye) Cache that is being disabled, 512k? Even after
    >> disabling this, performance in not terrible.

    > You are correct.
    >

    >> How common is it for CPU L2 cache to be faulty? (this PC has been
    >> running Win98 for a long while with the External Cache enabled).

    > Checked for any BIOS updates? It isn't common for the cache itself to be
    > faulty.

    I had flashed the latest BIOS (still 2000 date), later on during the
    "grab for straws" fault finding stage.... I think It must be faulty L2
    cache. How long do Intel warrenty CPU's for (is it 3 Years for retail
    CPU's).

    I may just see if my mate wants to upgrade to a cheapo 2nd hand Athlon
    500 Mobo and CPU I have in the basement...
    Zapp Brannigan, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Zapp Brannigan

    Millimeter Guest

    On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:35:48 +0100, Zapp Brannigan
    <> wrote:

    >Trying to install NT4 on a 440LX based PC with a 266Mhz PII Klamath CPU.
    >
    >The 1st reboot of the install always locks up. I spents ages getting
    >this s%&$ working.. Anyhow, as a last ditch thing, I tried the BIO
    >setting "External Cache" setting to Disabled, and low an behold, it now
    >boot perfectly.

    When you lock up, are you getting a blue screen with a memory dump of
    does the PC simply hang?
    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Apr 10, 2004
  5. Millimeter wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:35:48 +0100, Zapp Brannigan
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Trying to install NT4 on a 440LX based PC with a 266Mhz PII Klamath CPU.
    >>
    >>The 1st reboot of the install always locks up. I spents ages getting
    >>this s%&$ working.. Anyhow, as a last ditch thing, I tried the BIO
    >>setting "External Cache" setting to Disabled, and low an behold, it now
    >>boot perfectly.

    > When you lock up, are you getting a blue screen with a memory dump of
    > does the PC simply hang?
    > Millimeter

    Total lock, no STOPs or memory dumps, it locks on the 1st blue startup
    screen after the NTDETECT stage. It reports the right number of CPUs
    (1) and correct memory (32)..
    Zapp Brannigan, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Zapp Brannigan

    Millimeter Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:42:25 +0100, Zapp Brannigan
    <> wrote:

    >Millimeter wrote:
    >> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:35:48 +0100, Zapp Brannigan
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Trying to install NT4 on a 440LX based PC with a 266Mhz PII Klamath CPU.
    >>>
    >>>The 1st reboot of the install always locks up. I spents ages getting
    >>>this s%&$ working.. Anyhow, as a last ditch thing, I tried the BIO
    >>>setting "External Cache" setting to Disabled, and low an behold, it now
    >>>boot perfectly.

    >> When you lock up, are you getting a blue screen with a memory dump of
    >> does the PC simply hang?
    >> Millimeter

    >Total lock, no STOPs or memory dumps, it locks on the 1st blue startup
    >screen after the NTDETECT stage. It reports the right number of CPUs
    >(1) and correct memory (32)..

    How big is the drive you are installing to?

    If it is bigger than 4GB then you need to make some adjustments.

    If this is a large drive, what did you use to format it with?

    These may point you in the right direction. Most of the issues I have
    had installing Nt4 were ATAPI errors.

    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/3/09.ASP

    http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips110.shtml

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;224526

    hth,
    Millimeter
    Millimeter, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Millimeter wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:42:25 +0100, Zapp Brannigan
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Millimeter wrote:

    >>>When you lock up, are you getting a blue screen with a memory dump of
    >>>does the PC simply hang?
    >>>Millimeter

    >>Total lock, no STOPs or memory dumps, it locks on the 1st blue startup
    >>screen after the NTDETECT stage. It reports the right number of CPUs
    >>(1) and correct memory (32)..

    > How big is the drive you are installing to?
    >
    > If it is bigger than 4GB then you need to make some adjustments.
    >
    > If this is a large drive, what did you use to format it with?
    >
    > These may point you in the right direction. Most of the issues I have
    > had installing Nt4 were ATAPI errors.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/3/09.ASP
    >
    > http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips110.shtml
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;224526
    >
    > hth,
    > Millimeter

    I tried allsorts, I too have had the Atapi problem (NT4 SP1 cannot see
    large drives, until the SP4 atapi.sys is used), I eliminated this
    potential problem by attempting to install onto a 400Mb HDD I had lying
    around, and it still did exactly the same, and as usual, it sprang into
    life, as soon as I disabled the External CPU Cache...
    Zapp Brannigan, Apr 11, 2004