NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Funseeker, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Funseeker

    Funseeker Guest

    Of late, after using a disc that were supposed to reset the system,
    but did anything -but-(made new installation instead, quite different
    from what was on the comp when I got it from the store...damn store),
    I've encountered a severly hampering problem in my online life; I keep
    getting the message, some five minutes into the session if not sooner,
    that the system will shut down because of some improper stopping of
    some RPC-program(which I didn't even know were running, and, by the
    helpfile's definition, is not needed by me AT ALL), a function started
    by some NT-SYSTEM/???-crap. What is this? What can I do to stop it,
    remove it KILL IT?!?

    On a side note, this 'reset' also managed to lack the drivers for my
    soundcard...(what is it with these later-day reset discs and the
    souncards in the computers they follow?!? I don't change them, so why
    ain't they never usable without extensive outside help?!?)
    As it is an intel, XP-system, I reckon it should be possible to point
    me in the direction of some ever-popular 'generic' stuff?
    The auto-installer claimed that windows update would have some, but
    even aftera second runtrough of my system, it still failed to come up
    with anything that resulted in the speakers even crackling with
    static. :(

    In hopes that this post will result in the neccessary help, forever
    grateful;

    Funseeker, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Funseeker

    Pepperoni Guest

    Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    There are a lot of varients of this thing, and also a lot of cleaning tools.
    Be aware that you should run a firewall, and also apply all of the windows
    updates to guard against reinfection.

    Aliases:
    Lovesan, msblast.exe, tftp, W32.Blaster.Worm (Symantec), W32/Lovsan.worm ,
    Win32.Poza (CA), WORM_MSBLAST.A (Trend)
    http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100547

    Stand alone remover
    Stinger has been updated to include detection/removal of this threat.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    > Just removing the Lovsan/Blaster is NOT enough.
    > If the PC is not patched (RPC/RPCSS Buffer Overflow Vulnerability that is

    addressed by

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146 ) then the OP

    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_MSBLAST.A

    Pepperoni, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Funseeker

    Elfseeker Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    Stinger's been running through my system twice now, and STILL I get shut
    down by that crap...most recently the countdown started the moment I got on!
    I rather think it would be best to remove that damn RPC-thing it keeps
    moaning about. It's not like I got anything to loose.

    , who hopes for greater -manually controlled-security
    setups when he ends up actually risking a loss by connecting to the net...

    Elfseeker, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Funseeker

    Thor Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    run the tool in safe mode.

    Thor, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Funseeker

    Terry Joyce Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > run the tool in safe mode.

    And turn of System Restore before the Safe Mode Cleaning!
    Tee Jay

    Terry Joyce, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Funseeker

    Elfseeker Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    How do I do this? seems I got the 'simplefied' version...cause I can find no
    such option...

    Elfseeker, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Funseeker

    Elfseeker Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    And I also seem incapable of making my net-connection fix up a
    firewall...wouldn't be any free ones out there, would it?

    Elfseeker, making it known in case he should forget later that he likely
    owns you his sanity, folks. Thanx bunches, both for what you've done, and if
    needed, for the future.

    Elfseeker, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Funseeker

    Thor Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    when starting up, press the F8 key repeatedly until you get a boot menu.
    Choose safe mode. If you see the WinXP logo screen, you waited too long to
    press F8. Or, while in windows, click "start" then "run" and type
    "msconfig", and click "ok". Then select "diagnostic startup", click apply,
    and restart the computer. You may need to re-enter this screen when finished
    to set it back to "normal" or "selective" startup, whatever it was set to
    before.

    Thor, Feb 14, 2004
  9. Funseeker

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    "Elfseeker" <> wrote in

    > And I also seem incapable of making my net-connection fix up a
    > firewall...wouldn't be any free ones out there, would it?
    >
    > Elfseeker, making it known in case he should forget later that he
    > likely owns you his sanity, folks. Thanx bunches, both for what you've
    > done, and if needed, for the future.

    You can turn on XP's ICF.

    This may help you to better secure the XP O/S.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 14, 2004
  10. Funseeker

    Elfseeker Guest

    Re: Blaster again was Re: NT-reactions on an XP system?(annoying online-problem...)

    Ah, THAT safe mode...was thinking something in the menu of the program or
    something...never even considered that...thankee very much for the
    specification. Greatly appreciated. :)

    Elfseeker, Feb 14, 2004