NT boot disk. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Viken Karaguesian, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. In the past I've made several attempts at making an NT boot disk. I've never
    been successful. I have to ask: what am I doing wrong? I copy ntldr,
    ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to the floppy disk, but when I boot to it and try
    to go to the C drive, I get "invalid drive specification". In other words,
    it doesn't see the disk. Here's what I do.

    Windows XP Pro,
    - Go to "A" drive
    - Format --> Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk
    - Copy NTLDR to floppy
    - Copy NTDETECT.COM to floppy
    - Create Boot.ini by copying the boot.ini text from MSCONFIG
    - Reboot computer with floppy in the drive.

    It boots to the A: prompt. Then I try to change to C: and I get "invalid
    drive specification". All my hard drives are formatted NTFS, but it doesn't
    see any of the drives. I've tried many times. I've followed Microsoft's
    directions as well
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;119467) as well,
    but it won't work.

    What am I doing wrong?

    --
    Viken K.
    http://home.comcast.net/~vikenk

    Viken Karaguesian, Jan 22, 2006

  2. Viken Karaguesian

    Brian G Guest

    Try here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm for NT bootdisks

    Brian G, Jan 22, 2006

  3. On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:31:47 -0500, "Viken Karaguesian"
    <vikenkNO_SPAM@NO_SPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

    >In the past I've made several attempts at making an NT boot disk. I've never
    >been successful. I have to ask: what am I doing wrong? I copy ntldr,
    >ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to the floppy disk, but when I boot to it and try
    >to go to the C drive, I get "invalid drive specification". In other words,
    >it doesn't see the disk. Here's what I do.
    >
    >Windows XP Pro,
    >- Go to "A" drive
    >- Format --> Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk
    >- Copy NTLDR to floppy
    >- Copy NTDETECT.COM to floppy
    >- Create Boot.ini by copying the boot.ini text from MSCONFIG
    >- Reboot computer with floppy in the drive.
    >
    >It boots to the A: prompt. Then I try to change to C: and I get "invalid
    >drive specification". All my hard drives are formatted NTFS, but it doesn't
    >see any of the drives. I've tried many times. I've followed Microsoft's
    >directions as well
    >(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;119467) as well,
    >but it won't work.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong?

    I don't know about XP, but W2k has a "Makeboot" folder on the
    installation disk that has the information and the program to create a
    3 or 4 floppy boot set.

    Tom
    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jan 23, 2006
  4. Viken Karaguesian

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "Viken Karaguesian" <vikenkNO_SPAM@NO_SPAMcomcast.net> wrote in

    > Windows XP Pro,
    > - Go to "A" drive
    > - Format --> Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk
    > - Copy NTLDR to floppy
    > - Copy NTDETECT.COM to floppy
    > - Create Boot.ini by copying the boot.ini text from MSCONFIG
    > - Reboot computer with floppy in the drive.

    When you make a MS-DOS startup disk, it puts COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS and
    MSDOS.SYS on the disk. This takes precedence over the NT files you are
    copying over later on. A "NT Bootdisk" is really a misnomer. The use
    of such a disk is to be used when those 3 files are corrupted on your
    C: drive. Your NT system will only use the files on A: if it cannot
    find them on C:. Even when it uses them from A:, NTLDR will pass
    control of the system to %systemroot%\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

    You will never ever be able to read a NTFS drive from a "NT bootdisk".
    You can only do this from the recovery console by booting from the
    Windows 2000/XP CD (even then, your access options are limited) or use
    a product such as BartPE or ERD Commander.

    Adam

    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Instead if floopy try pebuilder and utilimate boot cd

    you can build a cd only boot cd with a lot of tools and if a pc is
    hosed and can't boot as long as the hardware works you can boot

    ps it also supports networking
    On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:31:47 -0500, "Viken Karaguesian"
    <vikenkNO_SPAM@NO_SPAMcomcast.net> wrote:

    >In the past I've made several attempts at making an NT boot disk. I've never
    >been successful. I have to ask: what am I doing wrong? I copy ntldr,
    >ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to the floppy disk, but when I boot to it and try
    >to go to the C drive, I get "invalid drive specification". In other words,
    >it doesn't see the disk. Here's what I do.
    >
    >Windows XP Pro,
    >- Go to "A" drive
    >- Format --> Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk
    >- Copy NTLDR to floppy
    >- Copy NTDETECT.COM to floppy
    >- Create Boot.ini by copying the boot.ini text from MSCONFIG
    >- Reboot computer with floppy in the drive.
    >
    >It boots to the A: prompt. Then I try to change to C: and I get "invalid
    >drive specification". All my hard drives are formatted NTFS, but it doesn't
    >see any of the drives. I've tried many times. I've followed Microsoft's
    >directions as well
    >(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;119467) as well,
    >but it won't work.
    >
    >What am I doing wrong?