NT Authority???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dan, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    XP Home. This morning had no cdr or dvd drive. Tried uninstalling and
    restarting but still had problems. Driver errors. Did system restore. Got
    drives back. Did a couple on line virus scans. Clean. Norton 2004 a/v
    software detected no virus as well.Ran Blaster removal tool. Internet would
    no longer connect.Other things like trying to remove screen saver
    software, every time, led to computer freezing. Did system recovery. Was a
    reformat of c drive and fresh install of windows. Internet was disconnected
    until Norton was installed. Has to connect to internet to finish install.
    Within 60 seconds I get the RPC - Nt Authority saying computer shutdown in
    59 seconds. I had this problem previously on my computer. (is my
    Dad's computer having problems) I remembered the shutdown /a thing and
    that worked. Another online scan-clean. There are no users set up, just
    default settings. Tried running sasser and blaster tools, but wont let me
    cause I dont have admin. rights. No shut down computer option. Logged off,
    computer froze. got admin. rights. Turned off system restore, still wouldn't
    let me run the tools.Admin. rights gone again. Norton can't complete a full
    system scan. It starts scanning, half way done it just shuts itself down.
    I'm sure this is a virus. Aren't I??? Thanks in advance for your help. Is a
    Sony Vaio, if that makes any difference.

    Dan, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Dan

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:55:57 GMT, "Dan" <> wrote:

    >XP Home. This morning had no cdr or dvd drive. Tried uninstalling and
    >restarting but still had problems. Driver errors. Did system restore. Got
    >drives back. Did a couple on line virus scans. Clean. Norton 2004 a/v
    >software detected no virus as well.Ran Blaster removal tool. Internet would
    >no longer connect.Other things like trying to remove screen saver
    >software, every time, led to computer freezing. Did system recovery. Was a
    >reformat of c drive and fresh install of windows. Internet was disconnected
    >until Norton was installed. Has to connect to internet to finish install.
    >Within 60 seconds I get the RPC - Nt Authority saying computer shutdown in
    >59 seconds. I had this problem previously on my computer. (is my
    >Dad's computer having problems) I remembered the shutdown /a thing and
    >that worked. Another online scan-clean. There are no users set up, just
    >default settings. Tried running sasser and blaster tools, but wont let me
    >cause I dont have admin. rights. No shut down computer option. Logged off,
    >computer froze. got admin. rights. Turned off system restore, still wouldn't
    >let me run the tools.Admin. rights gone again. Norton can't complete a full
    >system scan. It starts scanning, half way done it just shuts itself down.
    >I'm sure this is a virus. Aren't I??? Thanks in advance for your help. Is a
    >Sony Vaio, if that makes any difference.

    The reference to RPC means it's the Blaster worm.
    Download the two below files, then run them from the safe mode.
    (After the Power On Self Test (POST), press and hold the F8 key.)

    W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool, "FixBlast.exe" from Symantec:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html
    Direct download: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

    McAfee's Stinger: It will scan your system for 47 known viruses and trojans and
    repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus installed on your computer... this
    is a stand alone program. http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    Direct download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    Unk, Nov 21, 2004

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thank's I'll try it tomorrow.

    Dan, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Dan

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Dan

    G. Morgan Guest

    How does RPC continue to infest after he said he reformatted?

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:30:52 -0500 "Unk"
    used 36 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Nov 21, 2004
  6. Dan

    Unk Guest

    OP wrote:
    >>>Was a reformat of c drive and fresh install of windows. Internet was disconnected
    >>>until Norton was installed. Has to connect to internet to finish install.
    >>>Within 60 seconds I get the RPC

    He got the worm when he connected to the internet to finish the Norton install
    and by failing to activate the WinXP firewall first.....

    Unk, Nov 21, 2004