    say, E: in the F12 menu. Also, is there a way XP can be my deafault OS
    as other people use my computer.

    -UPLINK, uplink.vze.com soon to come!

    Uplink, Mar 16, 2006

  2. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Oops, I just saw what NT 3.51 looks like and it's awful. I don't really
    want Win 3x on my computer.

    Change all of "3.51" to "4.0"

    Also, will ME work with NTFS?

    Uplink, Mar 16, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I have Windows NT Workstation 3.51 and want to install it on my new
    > desktop from Dell that has Windows XP Home SP2. (I think that's NT 5.1
    > or 5.2). I just want to know if it will support my NTFS partition and
    > 80GB hard drive size as I know Windows 95 and 98 didn't support it.
    >
    > So,
    >
    > 1. Does it support NTFS, if so, how big can the hard drive be?

    NTFS means NT File System which operates on the NT based O/S. I don't
    recall what the drive size can be. But since NT is a server based O/S
    too, I would suspect disk size can be in big gigs

    > 2. Do I have to create a NTFS partition that is say, 10GB?

    It should support FAT32 and NTFS take your choice.

    > 3. When starting, there is the Dell screen with the F12 key that has a
    > one time boot menu. It's normally on C:, so If I want NT I just go to
    > say, E: in the F12 menu. Also, is there a way XP can be my deafault OS
    > as other people use my computer.

    I would suspect it would be like any other NT based O/S that was
    installed where as two NT O/S(s) on the machine like Win 2k and XP and
    the O/S gives you the option to select which O/S you would like to
    boot-up into W2k or XP.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > Oops, I just saw what NT 3.51 looks like and it's awful. I don't really
    > want Win 3x on my computer.
    >
    > Change all of "3.51" to "4.0"
    >

    > Also, will ME work with NTFS?

    You can reset assured that ME will have no problems accessing an NT
    based O/S like Win NT 3.51, 4.0, 2K, XP, or 2K3 that's using NTFS in a
    networking situation.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    So does NT have to be on a different NTFS partition?

    And ME will work with NTFS? Will it work with 80GB and does it have to
    be on a different partition

    Because I either can get ME or NT. I have to know which will work

    Also, I don't want it to ask me for which os when I start up, my Dell
    has a option to press F12 and then I can select a partition. (Options
    are, Deafault partition (C:), Bootable partition C:, utilites
    partition) Can it be set to boot XP normally

    Uplink, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Uplink

    bmoag Guest

    You do not seem to understand NT. This is a difficult and very limited OS to
    work with. I know because I am forced to use it as the operating system for
    a dedicated computer driven appliance.
    You also do not seem to understand much about multi-boot systems,
    partitioning and the way boot sectors work.
    Why don't you add Windows 64 and OS2 to the mix and create a new world's
    record for a computer that runs some of the worst operating systems ever
    created?
    If you insist on trying this bizarre scheme do yoursefl a BIG favor and get
    a shrink wrapped partitioning and multi-boot program.
    Make sure you read and understand the instruction manual thoroughly.
    And if you manage to get the thing up and running make sure you back up any
    files you need before the thing goes up in a blue screen flame out.

    bmoag, Mar 16, 2006
  7. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > So does NT have to be on a different NTFS partition?
    >
    > And ME will work with NTFS? Will it work with 80GB and does it have to
    > be on a different partition

    The partition if NTFS for NT 4.0 should be able to deal with an 80 gig
    HD with no problems but you'll have to check using Google. NT is a
    server O/S too and think it can work with that much HD on workstation
    version.

    > Because I either can get ME or NT. I have to know which will work

    Go with NT 4.0 as it's much more stable than ME will ever be.

    > Also, I don't want it to ask me for which os when I start up, my Dell
    > has a option to press F12 and then I can select a partition. (Options
    > are, Deafault partition (C:), Bootable partition C:, utilites
    > partition) Can it be set to boot XP normally

    You may be able to bypass it. I don't know. But during the install of a
    NT based
    O/S on the same drive that will have two partitions with O/S(s), it's
    for sure going to make you select one. However, you can make it boot on
    the first one as the default in the list if you don't make selection in
    the boot selection O/S menu. You can also set a timer through the NT O/S
    as to how long it waits before it takes the default. You can also change
    the boot list order by editing the Boot.ini file, which is a hidden file
    as I recall. It might be able to let you control that too through the
    O/S. I know Win 2k and up you can do that.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 16, 2006
  8. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    OK, I'm going with NT 4.0.

    Uplink, Mar 16, 2006
  9. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Actually, I'm to put NT on my laptop. It has Ubuntu, Win XP Home. It
    also has the bootloader GRUB on the first partition. Will GRUB
    automatilly detect Windows NT, or will I have to install Ubuntu last
    that installs GRUB?

    Uplink, Mar 16, 2006
  10. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > Actually, I'm to put NT on my laptop. It has Ubuntu, Win XP Home. It
    > also has the bootloader GRUB on the first partition. Will GRUB
    > automatilly detect Windows NT, or will I have to install Ubuntu last
    > that installs GRUB?

    I guess you're talking Linux stuff now and I have no idea. Linux runs on
    a separate machine in my usage of it. I don't like to dual boot anything
    as it usually comes up to bite you one way or the other in the long run
    IMHO.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 16, 2006
  11. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Nevermind Linux. If I get a USB hard drive and put Windows NT on it.
    Would that work? Will there be a boot menu to select which hard drive?
    And can it be configured to auto boot into the internal hard drive
    unless I press a key?

    Uplink, Mar 17, 2006
  12. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > Nevermind Linux. If I get a USB hard drive and put Windows NT on it.
    > Would that work? Will there be a boot menu to select which hard drive?
    > And can it be configured to auto boot into the internal hard drive
    > unless I press a key?

    You tell me when you do it if that's going to work. I'll put it to you
    this way. It's something I wouldn't do myself.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Mar 18, 2006
  13. Uplink

    jo Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 02:32:00 GMT, Duane Arnold <>
    wrote:

    >NTFS means NT File System which operates on the NT based O/S. I don't
    >recall what the drive size can be. But since NT is a server based O/S
    >too, I would suspect disk size can be in big gigs

    The original NT4 cd will only be ablt to boot from a 4Gb partition.
    If you slipstream SP6, you can boot from an 8Gb partition.

    >It should support FAT32 and NTFS take your choice.

    NT4 will NOT support fat32, fat 2Gb of ntfs only

    jo, Jun 21, 2006