NSW 2003 Pro Uninstall Has Replaced Folders With Gobbledy-Gook File Names :(

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GoLeafsGo, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo Guest

    Hi:

    I hope someone has seen this behaviour before....I did a manual uninstall
    of NSW2003 because a regular uninstall didn't fully complete. I followed
    instructions from Symantec as to how to do this.

    After doing so, my boot drive C: was OK but my "storage" drive D now has
    none of my original folders showing (I had 100+ Gigs of SHN, APE, FLAC
    and MP3 albums all in individual folders) - they have been replaced by
    hundreds of little individual files with sizes between 1 KB and 7 KB. I
    am not sure if the number of these little files corresponds to the number
    of Folders I originally had. All of these little files have very strange
    names: a vertical bar either by itself or preceded by either an
    alphabetical character, or by a symbol...symbols like you would see if
    you opened Character Map for a Dingbat or Wingding font. Some of these
    files have double vertical bars / and or characters preceding them.

    I also have 3 of these weird files that are each exactly 262,144 KB,
    although when checking Properties,they are indicated as being zero file
    size.

    The TIME stamp on these files are all 12:00 AM, the DAY stamps are almost
    exclusively 1, 7, 15, 23, or 31....weird eh! The Year ranges from 1980
    to 1994. All I have ever used this drive for is storage of audio
    files....no software installs. I am unable to copy any of these files or
    e-mail to someone so that they can have a look at them. I get a "Cannot
    copy file: File system error (1026)" error message when trying to copy to
    another drive or media.

    Another weird thing is that even though the sum total of all these files
    adds up to almost nothing (even though Explorer reports file sizes of 1
    to 8KB, Properties of each of these files shows Zero size), Windows
    Explorer still shows that I have only 1.93 Gigs of space left of the
    original 120 Gigs (which is accurate) - this suggests to me that my
    original data is still on the disc, just not accessible.

    I am hopeful that I can reclaim all my data, but I am not sure how to
    proceed....should I try:

    - Running Norton Utilities directly from the CD
    - Reinstall NSW 2003 and run the Utilities (kinda scared to install
    again)
    - try some other recovery program.....

    Could I please call on the collective brain-power of everyone here to
    help with a solution, or am I SOL (Sh*t Outa Luck) regarding ever seeing
    my lovely data ever again ?

    I have NOT attached a screen cap of my Explorer Window because I don't
    see anyone else posting attachments, but I could post to a Test group if
    anyone thinks it would be useful in diagnosing what's going on.

    Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom, and huge thanks if anyone
    can offer some words of reassurance and a (hopefully easy) fix. Also, if
    more information is necessary, please let me know and I will type it up.

    Catchya later,

    GoLeafsGo

    GoLeafsGo, Jan 19, 2004