NSA Crypto Key!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by MG, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. MG

    MG Guest

    MG, Jan 1, 2004

  2. MG

    George Ruch Guest

    MG <> wrote:

    >Look at this, the only way you can have a cryptographic key for this
    >device is to have it issued by the NSA !! believe that shit.....they are
    >creeping and creeping closer and closer into our lives!!
    >
    >http://www.darkgovernment.com/board3/viewthread.php?tid=27

    (Watch out for the BLACK HELICOPTERS!)

    From the referenced URL:

    "SecNet 11™ can be procured, installed and operated by U.S. Government
    departments or agencies and their contractors who have a COMSEC account
    through the National Security Agency. COMSEC account holders are approved
    to use or maintain secure communications materials.

    The SecNet 11 PC Card can only be issued to a properly cleared user who
    possesses a clearance level equal to or greater than the cryptographic
    keying material loaded into the card. SecNet 11 shall only be released to
    those foreign governments to which the National Manager has approved
    release of the device."

    At the risk of feeding the troll (yes, I know they shouldn't be fed after
    dark),

    1. This product is intended for government agencies, contractors and
    _carefully selected_ foreign governments (NATO members, etc.) - definitely
    NOT for John Q. Public (note the need for appropriate security clearances).

    2. The NSA and its predecessors have been deeply involved with cryptology,
    information and communications security since well before WWII. That is
    their job, and they do it well. Check the site www.nsa.gov.

    Reasonable people can argue about privacy vs. necessary intelligence
    activities. That's not what MG is arguing here. IMO, he's behaving like a
    modern Chicken Little - "COMSEC - THE SKY IS FALLING! BLACK HELICOPTERS!
    THE SKY IS FALLING!"

    Damn. Where'd this soap box come from?

    George Ruch, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Big deal - a variation on Fortezza.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jan 1, 2004
  4. MG

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 03:36:51 GMT, MG <> wrote:

    >Look at this, the only way you can have a cryptographic key for this
    >device is to have it issued by the NSA !! believe that shit.....they are
    >creeping and creeping closer and closer into our lives!!
    >
    >http://www.darkgovernment.com/board3/viewthread.php?tid=27

    They are likely to do it very well, whats the problem?
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jan 1, 2004
  5. MG

    Bill Unruh Guest

    MG <> writes:

    ]Look at this, the only way you can have a cryptographic key for this
    ]device is to have it issued by the NSA !! believe that shit.....they are
    ]creeping and creeping closer and closer into our lives!!

    ]http://www.darkgovernment.com/board3/viewthread.php?tid=27

    ??? And what do you think is terrible about the government controlling
    keys for devices used to communicate with the governement?
    Why would you want to use this device?

    Should we regard it as an evil plot that you get to choose the pgp key
    people communicate with you with?
    Bill Unruh, Jan 1, 2004
  6. MG

    t3kops Guest

    I suggest you read the book "Crypto" by Steven Levy and get a handle
    on the basic history of the NSA/Cryptography before you rant on about
    this subject. Heh "Super Administrator". . . ya think?

    t3kops, Jan 2, 2004
  7. MG

    joe Guest

    This is just another lame plot by the McLean crowd to discredit the fine,
    fine work being carried out by the denizens of cybersecurity, by those who
    would label them as the 'basta*ds across the river'....They are just jealous
    ex-ivy leaguers who never did their own homework.

    Geeks rule. ...get used to it......

    From the basement of THE science building.....

    joe, Jan 3, 2004