    Rob
    --

    http://phstpok.blog.co.uk/main/

    phstpok, May 19, 2005

  2. phstpok

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:31:49 +1200, phstpok <> wrote:

    >I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install.
    >
    >Combines the flexibility of firefox with the compatibility of ie.
    >
    >Just about fell off my chair when I saw that pop up.
    >
    >Rob

    No Longer on there Web site or any FTP Sites..

    CSE, May 19, 2005

  3. phstpok

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:31:49 +1200, phstpok <> wrote:

    >I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install.
    >
    >Combines the flexibility of firefox with the compatibility of ie.
    >
    >Just about fell off my chair when I saw that pop up.
    >
    >Rob

    No Longer on there Web site or any FTP Sites..

    http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/download/default.jsp

    Responce from web site

    Netscape Browser 8.0 is Coming Soon!

    CSE, May 19, 2005
  4. phstpok

    JC Guest

    In article <d6i0vb$ims$>, where says...
    > I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install.
    >
    > Combines the flexibility of firefox with the compatibility of ie.
    >
    > Just about fell off my chair when I saw that pop up.
    >
    > Rob

    Its not bad, not sure about the skins, but no doubt there will be more.

    JC, May 19, 2005
  5. phstpok wrote:
    > I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install.
    > Combines the flexibility of firefox with the compatibility of ie.
    > Just about fell off my chair when I saw that pop up.

    There was a bit of discussion about this when it was announced... FF
    using the IE html rendering and security, enjoy multiple exploits at the
    same time.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 19, 2005
  6. phstpok

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 09:09:11 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > phstpok wrote:
    >> I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install. Combines the flexibility
    >> of firefox with the compatibility of ie. Just about fell off my chair
    >> when I saw that pop up.

    > There was a bit of discussion about this when it was announced... FF using
    > the IE html rendering and security, enjoy multiple exploits at the same
    > time.

    It's an equal opportunity security hole :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 19, 2005
  7. AD. wrote:
    >>>I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install. Combines the flexibility
    >>>of firefox with the compatibility of ie. Just about fell off my chair
    >>>when I saw that pop up.

    >>There was a bit of discussion about this when it was announced... FF using
    >>the IE html rendering and security, enjoy multiple exploits at the same
    >>time.

    > It's an equal opportunity security hole :)

    I downloaded and installed it so that I could be educated in my bagging
    of the product.

    These are not in order, just as I cam across them.

    Good
    Essencially it seems like a nicely polished product with only a few
    things missing from it.

    Egad I like being able to chose the IE rendering engine... it makes it
    good for development work... I understand that they are working on this
    for KDE with KHTML and Gecko.

    Bad
    Typing "help:about" in the address bar loads some random webpage from my
    history... but not my Netscape history, my FF history... this is almost
    bug-reportable.

    windowsupdate.com automatically switches to using the IE rendering
    engine even if FF is selected.

    The only themes availible are the default one(ugly) and a FF
    look-a-like(less ugly), FF themes don't seem to work.

    Extensions, Mozilla extensions will not work, simply giving a "not
    compatible with Netscape" error, and Netscape themselves have none
    availible.

    It makes a closing door sound when you close the browser... it reminds
    me of a kids game with that.

    The in-ability to disable the news ticker in the toolbar is a pain it
    means that the toolbar section is about 12mm bigger than it needs to be,
    it makes a heap of pages scrollable where normally they wouldn't be.

    They moved the google search to the left of the address bar, it's odd to
    have it there.

    Thats about it for now.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed it so that I could be educated in my bagging
    > of the product.
    >
    > These are not in order, just as I cam across them.
    >
    > Good
    > Essencially it seems like a nicely polished product with only a few
    > things missing from it.
    >
    > Egad I like being able to chose the IE rendering engine... it makes it
    > good for development work... I understand that they are working on this
    > for KDE with KHTML and Gecko.
    >

    > Bad
    > Typing "help:about" in the address bar loads some random webpage from my
    > history... but not my Netscape history, my FF history... this is almost
    > bug-reportable.
    >
    > windowsupdate.com automatically switches to using the IE rendering
    > engine even if FF is selected.
    >
    > The only themes availible are the default one(ugly) and a FF
    > look-a-like(less ugly), FF themes don't seem to work.
    >
    > Extensions, Mozilla extensions will not work, simply giving a "not
    > compatible with Netscape" error, and Netscape themselves have none
    > availible.
    >
    > It makes a closing door sound when you close the browser... it reminds
    > me of a kids game with that.
    >
    > The in-ability to disable the news ticker in the toolbar is a pain it
    > means that the toolbar section is about 12mm bigger than it needs to be,
    > it makes a heap of pages scrollable where normally they wouldn't be.
    >
    > They moved the google search to the left of the address bar, it's odd to
    > have it there.

    > Thats about it for now.

    Bad.
    when using IE rendering, pop-up windows dont get the current theme, they
    look like IE.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  9. phstpok

    JC Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > >>There was a bit of discussion about this when it was announced... FF using
    > >>the IE html rendering and security, enjoy multiple exploits at the same
    > >>time.

    > > It's an equal opportunity security hole :)

    > I downloaded and installed it so that I could be educated in my bagging
    > of the product.
    >
    > These are not in order, just as I cam across them.
    >
    > Good
    > Essencially it seems like a nicely polished product with only a few
    > things missing from it.
    >
    > Egad I like being able to chose the IE rendering engine... it makes it
    > good for development work... I understand that they are working on this
    > for KDE with KHTML and Gecko.
    >

    > Bad
    > Typing "help:about" in the address bar loads some random webpage from my
    > history... but not my Netscape history, my FF history... this is almost
    > bug-reportable.

    What's it supposed to load? When I do it, I get Netscape Search loading.

    > windowsupdate.com automatically switches to using the IE rendering
    > engine even if FF is selected.
    >
    > The only themes availible are the default one(ugly) and a FF
    > look-a-like(less ugly), FF themes don't seem to work.

    Yeah the themes aren't that great, but give them time and I am sure
    there will be more.

    JC, May 20, 2005
  10. JC wrote:
    >>Bad
    >>Typing "help:about" in the address bar loads some random webpage from my
    >>history... but not my Netscape history, my FF history... this is almost
    >>bug-reportable.

    > What's it supposed to load? When I do it, I get Netscape Search loading.

    Oddly enough, I typed the wrong thing, what I was meaning to write was
    "about:config"
    help:about in FF loads the same page, Im not sure of it, both change the
    URL to "Http://help/"
    It is related to this, http://www.kcbbs.gen.nz/ but not this page.

    Still, it shouldn't really load anything from another browsers cache.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 20, 2005
  11. phstpok

    Thor Guest

    JC wrote:

    > In article <d6i0vb$ims$>, where says...
    >> I'm downloading ns8 now with their web install.
    >>
    >> Combines the flexibility of firefox with the compatibility of ie.
    >>
    >> Just about fell off my chair when I saw that pop up.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > Its not bad, not sure about the skins, but no doubt there will be more.

    You might want to read this article, before using it too much

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/0,2000061744,39192754,00.htm

    --
    *~~~~~~~~Thor

    Thor, May 20, 2005
  12. phstpok

    Thor Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > JC wrote:
    >>>Bad
    >>>Typing "help:about" in the address bar loads some random webpage from my
    >>>history... but not my Netscape history, my FF history... this is almost
    >>>bug-reportable.

    >> What's it supposed to load? When I do it, I get Netscape Search loading.

    > Oddly enough, I typed the wrong thing, what I was meaning to write was
    > "about:config"
    > help:about in FF loads the same page, Im not sure of it, both change the
    > URL to "Http://help/"
    > It is related to this, http://www.kcbbs.gen.nz/ but not this page.
    >
    > Still, it shouldn't really load anything from another browsers cache.

    Replying to myself, weird, but I see they have fixed it already, which is
    probably why Roger couldn't find it earlier.

    --

    Thor, May 20, 2005