NPR Sony Interview

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Chuck, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
    Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
    about it?

    Chuck, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Chuck

    Far Canal Guest

    Chuck wrote

    > From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
    > Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
    > about it?

    They will learn it's bad. They will learn that Sony are going to have
    to pay out for using a Rootkit. It could be another nail in the M$
    coffin.

    Apparently if autoplay isn't enabled, the Sony albums can't install the
    software and the music can be ripped using ordinary software.
    If you attempt to play the tracks with M$ Media Player, you get a pop up
    telling you it can't play the tracks, you have to install the software
    on the cd.
    As I was told "So if you're copying such a disc, that's safe. It only
    injects its venom in honest folks."

    Far Canal, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Chuck

    default Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:17:03 -0800, Chuck <> wrote:

    >From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
    >Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
    >about it?

    Can someone 'splain this for me? If the M$ operating system is such a
    carefully guarded secret, how is it these folks can write code that
    integrates with the OS on such a low level?

    default, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Chuck

    shplink Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > From <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4989260>
    > Most people, I think, don’t even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care
    > about it?

    If they're the AOL types, they probably won't, and deserve what they get.
    Ignorance is bliss. This whole sony thing, in my opinion, is a great
    illustration of corporate arrogance and presumptuousness, preying on the
    uninformed. Thank Thor for the hacker (I use the term in its pure
    form) community.

    --
    the alt.privacy.spyware FAQ:
    http://shplink.com/misc/FAQ.htm

    shplink, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Chuck

    AnySpyware Guest

    What do people want to know about rootkits ? I'll tell you.... ? just
    post your questions

    MS code isn't well guarded, a) Softice b) disassembling and c) leaked
    code..
    With any of these and enough effort and innovation, a lot is possible.
    Due to the underlying bad design of NT, lots of hacks are possible.
    Making API's do things they aren't supposed to do should have been
    obvious, the code is all there ready to manipulate its just a matter of
    accessing it.

    Microsoft make available a lot of code for the DDK's.. if they were
    trying to be obscure, it reveals a lot.

    AnySpyware, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Chuck

    Default User Guest

    On 11 Nov 2005 08:37:26 -0800, "AnySpyware" <> wrote:

    >What do people want to know about rootkits ? I'll tell you.... ? just
    >post your questions

    Ok - what is it that makes you think that the people using this group don't
    already know more about rootkits than you do?

    Default User, Nov 11, 2005