NPD: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Phil, Jan 25, 2008.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    NPD: Sky Isn't Falling for HD-DVD, Blu-ray Isn't Champ Yet

    01/24/08

    Sales data for HD-DVD and Blu-ray players and movies has been misconstrued
    lately by various outlets, with reports implying that HD-DVD sales have
    fallen at an amazing pace while Blu-ray sales have blasted through the roof.

    Not so fast, says the NPD Group.

    While select articles have implied that HD-DVD as a format is doomed and the
    sky is falling for the format's supporters, the NPD Group this afternoon
    reinforced that sales results from a single week do not necessarily indicate
    a trend, and that the week in question had several intriguing variables that
    have gone unreported.

    The NPD Group attempted to quiet the storm of online scuttlebutt with the
    following statement:

    "As you may have seen, there are attempts being made to portray NPD's weekly
    sales tracking figures for next generation DVD as a trend. We want to remind
    you and make clear that it is not accurate to make long term assumptions
    based on one week of sales -- a cautionary point that NPD has made as well.

    "The facts are that during the week that is being singled out, both Blu-ray
    disc players and software were being given away for free with the purchase
    of 1080p TVs. It is also important to note that the instant rebate
    promotions that had previously netted Toshiba's players' MSRPs to $199 and
    $249 had actually ended on Jan. 5th -- causing an increase in HD DVD's MSRP
    back to $299 and $399 during that same week. Since Toshiba's retail price
    move on Jan. 13th to $149 / $199 -- Toshiba is seeing very positive sales
    trends at retail. This reinforces the fact that price is a significant
    driver of sales.

    "Toshiba's HD DVD players represent a significant value to the consumer and
    the marketing campaign that just began is proving effective."
    Phil, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Phil wrote: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    Bully for you, now **** off and watch a film instead of spamming about
    em!
    Northern Deity, Jan 25, 2008

  3. Phil

    khee mao Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    "Phil" <> wrote in message

    Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"
    khee mao, Jan 25, 2008
  4. Phil

    ZVR Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    > Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"

    Beta-Ray fanboi, you know what? Being fully aware about Warner going blu and
    all the "Beta-Ray has won!" FUD, I still got myself tonight an 1080p HD-A30
    at Futureshop in Toronto, for $149 (Canadian). Beats the hell out of your
    overpriced, crappy beta ray hardware at $399 or more!

    Hopefully more people will awake to the fact that you can have a very good
    upconverting DVD player, which can also play native HD material, for the
    same amount as what a regular upconverting DVD player goes for, and then you
    can take your overpriced BR crap and shove it up your ass!

    See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
    may not be around a year from now, or pay at least $399 for a buggy Beta-Ray
    unit that I know for sure I'll have to replace with another <insert betaray
    version here>, not long from now. I chose to spend the $149. But, you are
    free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece of shit you like.
    ZVR, Jan 26, 2008
  5. Phil

    Big Daddy Guest

    "khee mao" <> wrote in message

    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >

    > Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"

    LOL.

    Blu-ray: "you've got no arms, you stupid bastard".
    HD-DVD: "yes I have"
    Blu-ray: "LOOK!!!"
    HD-DVD: "it's just a flesh wound"
    Big Daddy, Jan 26, 2008
  6. Phil

    Robo-man Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    > See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
    > may not be around a year from now,

    May or may not be around a year from now???????????

    Read this:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

    But if you like waisting your hard earned cash on dying technology.
    Go ahead and knock yourself out.

    At least you are helping out the economy.
    Robo-man, Jan 26, 2008
  7. Phil

    T.B. Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    "ZVR" whined:

    >> Toshiba, doing their best Holy Grail impression: "It's not 'quite' dead"

    > Beta-Ray fanboi, you know what? Being fully aware about Warner going blu
    > and all the "Beta-Ray has won!" FUD, I still got myself tonight an 1080p
    > HD-A30 at Futureshop in Toronto, for $149 (Canadian). Beats the hell out
    > of your overpriced, crappy beta ray hardware at $399 or more!
    >
    > Hopefully more people will awake to the fact that you can have a very good
    > upconverting DVD player, which can also play native HD material, for the
    > same amount as what a regular upconverting DVD player goes for, and then
    > you can take your overpriced BR crap and shove it up your ass!
    >
    > See, I had a choice: pay $149 now for a good, finished product that may or
    > may not be around a year from now, or pay at least $399 for a buggy
    > Beta-Ray unit that I know for sure I'll have to replace with another
    > <insert betaray version here>, not long from now. I chose to spend the
    > $149. But, you are free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece
    > of shit you like.

    Nahhh, this guy doesn't have any emotional problems.

    T.B.
    T.B., Jan 26, 2008
  8. Phil

    "ZVR" <> wrote in message
    > But, you are free to spend your hard earned cash on whatever piece of shit
    > you like.

    hey, thanks for allowing me to spend my hard earned cash on whatever piece
    of shit I like! in fact, I bought an HD-DVD player over a year ago now, but
    buying one today would be the pinnacle of retardation, retard. I mean
    honestly, what exclusives does hd-dvd now have that are worth a shit? enjoy
    your Casablanca, douche guzzler.
    khee mao, Jan 27, 2008
  9. Phil

    David Z Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

    David Z, Jan 28, 2008
  10. Phil

    Tarkus Guest

    David Z wrote:
    > I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

    Civilization is your friend.

    So is the Internet.
    Tarkus, Jan 28, 2008
  11. Phil

    ZVR Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    > In fact, I bought an HD-DVD player over a year ago now, but buying one
    > today would be the pinnacle of retardation, retard.

    No kidding?? Apparently everybody is a retard, and you Betaray fanboys are
    the brightest bulbs around!

    How the **** do you then explain that today, when I walked into the same
    Futureshop store where I bought mine (two days ago when the new prices went
    into effect), HD-DVD players, both A3 and A30 were SOLD OUT??! I
    specifically ventured to that section of the store again to see whether
    anybody else was buying, and there were zero, nada, zip left on the shelves.
    They had about 10 units all in all just two days ago.

    So I asked a sales guy, and you know what he said?? "Oh yeah, we sold them
    out in two days. Just ordered more from Toshiba" and he suggested I come
    back in a week.

    Just remember dumb head, HD-DVD right now is about the same amount as a good
    up-converting DVD player, so they will start eating into that market as
    well. Toshiba only has to stick to their guns for 6 more months, until the #
    of units sold really takes out, then we'll see whether the studios can
    afford to remain Betaray exclusive.
    ZVR, Jan 28, 2008
  12. Phil

    Tarkus Guest

    ZVR wrote:
    >> In fact, I bought an HD-DVD player over a year ago now, but buying one
    >> today would be the pinnacle of retardation, retard.

    > No kidding?? Apparently everybody is a retard, and you Betaray fanboys are
    > the brightest bulbs around!
    >
    > How the **** do you then explain that today, when I walked into the same
    > Futureshop store where I bought mine (two days ago when the new prices went
    > into effect), HD-DVD players, both A3 and A30 were SOLD OUT??! I
    > specifically ventured to that section of the store again to see whether
    > anybody else was buying, and there were zero, nada, zip left on the shelves.
    > They had about 10 units all in all just two days ago.
    >
    > So I asked a sales guy, and you know what he said?? "Oh yeah, we sold them
    > out in two days. Just ordered more from Toshiba" and he suggested I come
    > back in a week.
    >
    > Just remember dumb head, HD-DVD right now is about the same amount as a good
    > up-converting DVD player, so they will start eating into that market as
    > well. Toshiba only has to stick to their guns for 6 more months, until the #
    > of units sold really takes out, then we'll see whether the studios can
    > afford to remain Betaray exclusive.

    I'm reminded of "Ghost Whisperer," when people don't know they're dead
    yet. Except this is more humorous.
    Tarkus, Jan 28, 2008
  13. Phil

    David Z Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > David Z wrote:
    >> I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

    > Civilization is your friend.
    >
    > So is the Internet.

    He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
    compare.
    David Z, Jan 29, 2008
  14. Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    "David Z" <> wrote in message

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> David Z wrote:
    >>> I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

    >> Civilization is your friend.
    >>
    >> So is the Internet.

    > He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
    > compare.

    Canadian dollar is roughly at par as I write.
    Canadian prices....another story!

    --
    All the Best,
    Richard Harison
    Richard Harison, Jan 29, 2008
  15. Phil

    Richard C. Guest

    "David Z" <> wrote in message

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> David Z wrote:
    >>> I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

    >> Civilization is your friend.
    >>
    >> So is the Internet.

    > He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
    > compare.

    ==============================
    Why not?

    $700 Canadian is about the same right now as $700 US.
    Richard C., Jan 29, 2008
  16. Phil

    Steve Irving Guest

    David Z wrote:

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> David Z wrote:
    >>> I want to live where you live. Blu-ray players cost $700 where I am.

    >> Civilization is your friend.
    >>
    >> So is the Internet.

    > He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
    > compare.

    That's right since Canadian dollars are currently worth more than US dollars
    (for the 1st time in 40 years)...
    Steve Irving, Jan 29, 2008
  17. Phil

    David Z Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    I was just at a hi-fi shop yesterday and the only blu-ray players I saw were
    all over $1,000. Send one over at $399, will you?

    David Z, Jan 29, 2008
  18. Phil

    Tarkus Guest

    David Z wrote:
    > I was just at a hi-fi shop yesterday and the only blu-ray players I saw
    > were all over $1,000. Send one over at $399, will you?

    Maybe you should stay out of overpriced hi-fi shops for things like
    that, and try the mass market electronic chains instead. And while
    you're at it, do the smart thing and buy a Playstation 3, which doesn't
    cost anywhere near $1,000, let alone over. It's currently the best
    Blu-ray player available too.
    Tarkus, Jan 29, 2008
  19. Phil

    Richard C. Guest

    "David Z" <> wrote in message
    >I was just at a hi-fi shop yesterday and the only blu-ray players I saw
    >were all over $1,000. Send one over at $399, will you?
    >
    > "Steve Irving" <> wrote in message
    >> David Z wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> He was talking in Canadian dollars, I believe. So you cannot directly
    >>> compare.

    >> That's right since Canadian dollars are currently worth more than US
    >> dollars (for the 1st time in 40 years)...

    ====================================
    They are selling for $399 all over the place.
    Richard C., Jan 29, 2008
  20. Phil

    Chris F Guest

    Re: Toshiba's New Marketing Campaign Is "Proving Effective"

    On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:02:53 -0800, Tarkus
    <> wrote:

    >David Z wrote:
    >> I was just at a hi-fi shop yesterday and the only blu-ray players I saw
    >> were all over $1,000. Send one over at $399, will you?

    >Maybe you should stay out of overpriced hi-fi shops for things like
    >that, and try the mass market electronic chains instead. And while
    >you're at it, do the smart thing and buy a Playstation 3, which doesn't
    >cost anywhere near $1,000, let alone over. It's currently the best
    >Blu-ray player available too.

    is it though? i mean i'm not up on the inner working of the PS3 bluray
    features.

    is it upgradeable? ie will the ps3 bluray drive support the updated
    versions of the bluray codec that are supposed to be coming soon?

    not trolling for a response here, i just genuinely want to know.
    Chris F, Jan 30, 2008