    do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    in the back of photo magazines.

    Any suggestions?

    Sbtypesetter, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Sbtypesetter

    REED BOXIN Guest

    b&h photo , good prices , most reptuable .
    bhphoto.com
    gene

    REED BOXIN, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Sbtypesetter

    GT40 Guest

    B&H Photo
    Badger Graphics

    GT40, Sep 25, 2004
  4. Sbtypesetter

    Simon Jester Guest

    On 25 Sep 2004 14:23:35 GMT, ojunk (Sbtypesetter) wrote:
    >In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    >The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    >Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    >by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    >do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    >in the back of photo magazines.

    I know what you mean, I'm shopping for a Canon 20D myself
    and some of these online and magazine shops just don't
    inspire confidence.
    This might help, although I don't know how honest the ratings are:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/

    Simon Jester, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Sbtypesetter

    Skip M Guest

    "Sbtypesetter" <> wrote in message
    > In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    > The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    > Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    > by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    > do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    > in the back of photo magazines.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    What is your location? There are some "real" stores that will match price
    with B&H.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Sep 25, 2004
  6. Sbtypesetter

    Nostrobino Guest

    > In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    > The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    > Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    > by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy.

    Camera World of Oregon has always been a good place to deal with, and still
    is in my experience. What's the problem with the Ritz Camera connection? I
    didn't know Ritz bought them out, but I've bought from Camera World both
    before and (admittedly less frequently) after the Ritz connection, whatever
    it is, and found them still reliable.

    > I refuse to
    > do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    > in the back of photo magazines.

    Why, what's the problem with advertising in photo magazines? Where should
    they advertise, House & Garden? Granted that MOST of those advertisers are
    reportedly pretty bad, it isn't where they advertise that makes them so.
    Camera World, Focus Camera, Adorama and B&H are all established, reliable
    photo equipment sellers in my experience and good to deal with, and all have
    advertised in photo magazines. But there are now so many places selling
    digital cameras and equipment on the Internet there's little need to limit
    yourself to traditional photo stores anyway. I rarely buy from the old
    camera stores anymore.

    > Any suggestions?

    Yes. Check Bizrate.com for whatever camera or equipment you're interested in
    buying. They're not sellers themselves but they list sellers, prices and
    shipping along with customer ratings and reviews which are very helpful.
    They're also most useful for finding which places to AVOID. I have bought
    from a few of the high-rated stores they list and have always been
    completely satisfied. I don't know of a better place to find the best total
    price and most reliable service. Just be sure to read some of the customer
    reviews before buying.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Sbtypesetter

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Sbtypesetter <> wrote:

    > Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    > by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    > do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    > in the back of photo magazines.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    B&H. They are the best; you can't go wrong there.

    Adorama is good, too.

    --
    Jeremy |

    Jeremy Nixon, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Sbtypesetter

    Mark M Guest

    > In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    > The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    > Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    > by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    > do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    > in the back of photo magazines.

    B&H, Adorama, and Cameta.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Sbtypesetter

    Frank ess Guest

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    > Sbtypesetter <> wrote:
    >
    >> Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    >> by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    >> do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    >> in the back of photo magazines.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?

    > B&H. They are the best; you can't go wrong there.
    >
    > Adorama is good, too.

    I'd have no reservation about using either of those. Just one other
    consideration: if there is a local, well-established shop I'd used
    before, I might expect preferential help and service with regard to
    accessory try-outs and pricing if I bought at a cost comparable to the
    online sellers. Might save the shipping, too.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 25, 2004
  10. Sbtypesetter

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <>, Frank ess
    <> writes
    >Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    >> Sbtypesetter <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    >>> by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    >>> do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    >>> in the back of photo magazines.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?

    >> B&H. They are the best; you can't go wrong there.
    >>
    >> Adorama is good, too.

    >I'd have no reservation about using either of those. Just one other
    >consideration: if there is a local, well-established shop I'd used
    >before, I might expect preferential help and service with regard to
    >accessory try-outs and pricing if I bought at a cost comparable to the
    >online sellers. Might save the shipping, too.

    Haven't you got a retail chain who price-match Internet prices in the
    US?

    Here in the UK we have Jessops who will usually price-match providing
    you take in a print-out of the low, low Internet price.

    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.rhylonline.com

    Tony Morgan, Sep 26, 2004
  11. Sbtypesetter

    Skip M Guest

    "Tony Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > In message <>, Frank ess
    > <> writes
    > >Jeremy Nixon wrote:

    > >> B&H. They are the best; you can't go wrong there.
    > >>
    > >> Adorama is good, too.

    > >I'd have no reservation about using either of those. Just one other
    > >consideration: if there is a local, well-established shop I'd used
    > >before, I might expect preferential help and service with regard to
    > >accessory try-outs and pricing if I bought at a cost comparable to the
    > >online sellers. Might save the shipping, too.
    > >

    > Haven't you got a retail chain who price-match Internet prices in the
    > US?
    >
    > Here in the UK we have Jessops who will usually price-match providing
    > you take in a print-out of the low, low Internet price.
    >
    > --
    > Tony Morgan
    > http://www.rhylonline.com

    Yes, there are, which is why I asked the OP for his location. Can't really
    help him with that without the pertinent information.

    Skip M, Sep 26, 2004
  12. Sbtypesetter

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <B&H. They are the best; you can't go wrong there.>

    Thank you.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    BandHPhoto, Sep 26, 2004
  13. Sbtypesetter

    PTRAVEL Guest

    > In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    > The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    > Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    > by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    > do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    > in the back of photo magazines.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    B&H
    Adorama

    Both reputable, both ethical, both will give you a good price.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 26, 2004
  14. Sbtypesetter

    Guest

    Archived from ojunk (Sbtypesetter) on 25 Sep 2004
    14:23:35 GMT:

    >In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    >The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    >Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    >by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    >do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    >in the back of photo magazines.
    >

    >Any suggestions?

    Samy's in Los Angeles www.samys.com

    Reliable. Professional. Courteous. Knowledgeable. And no hassle with
    returns.

    vm

    , Sep 26, 2004
  15. Sbtypesetter

    DScheffold Guest

    This is a global world and it is often just as simple to buy online as it is
    finding time to go to the local camera store. In most cases the sales tax you
    can save from buying out of state more than offsets the shipping costs. There
    are a lot of great camera stores such as B&H, Adorama, Samy's, Penn Camera,
    Service Photo, Canoga and Cord Camera. I too used to buy from Camera World and
    would receive great service but after Ritz took over they became one of the
    "mail order bad guys". Never had what I needed, higher prices, and would charge
    my card for items back ordered. I have purchased from all of the above and been
    treated like royality. Good luck on your purchase.

    DScheffold, Sep 26, 2004
  16. ojunk (Sbtypesetter) writes:

    > In a few hours I'll be shooting my last film wedding.
    > The equipment will go up for sale and I'll be going digital.
    >
    > Now that Camera World of Oregon has been bought out
    > by Ritz Canera I have no idea where to buy. I refuse to
    > do business with most of those hucksters who advertise
    > in the back of photo magazines.
    >

    > Any suggestions?

    Locally, or B&H, or perhaps Adorama. (Camera World advertised in the
    back of photo magazines too, back when they were decent, and probably
    still does; thus showing that you can find both the good and the bad
    there.)

    Now, for the part you *didn't* ask for advice on -- I'd suggest you're
    making a bad mistake cutting instantly from film to digital, and
    having shot your last film wedding before even ordering the new
    digital equipment. I'd suggest a much more gradual switchover -- get
    *one* DSLR body and a couple of the more useful lenses and work it
    into your next few weddings *alongside* the film equipment. Don't
    risk your only copy of must-have shots on the new equipment the first
    time out. And this will give you a chance to get your digital
    workflow in order on smaller sets of pictures, before you become
    totally dependent on it. And to compare your film and digital results
    really side-by-side.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Oct 2, 2004