Now this is worth keeping an Eye on

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. Collector»NZ, Oct 28, 2005

  2. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=13305&cid=3&cname=Technology

    Not really:

    "Natcom says it can set users up with an equipment cost of about $1,990 plus
    installation starting at $800. That amounts to about the cost of a
    reasonable computer, Natcom says, after which connectivity fees start at
    $89 per month."

    I think the uplink is also a modem at 33.6kbps over analog phone line.

    Latency is also very high compared to DSL or cable.
    steve, Oct 28, 2005

  3. steve wrote:

    > "Natcom says it can set users up with an equipment cost of about $1,990 plus
    > installation starting at $800. That amounts to about the cost of a
    > reasonable computer, Natcom says, after which connectivity fees start at
    > $89 per month."
    >
    > I think the uplink is also a modem at 33.6kbps over analog phone line.
    >
    > Latency is also very high compared to DSL or cable.

    IPStar is a two-way satellite system. It is geosynchronous so latency is
    relatively high.

    The Other Guy
    The Other Guy, Oct 28, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> "Natcom says it can set users up with an equipment cost of about
    >> $1,990 plus installation starting at $800. That amounts to about the
    >> cost of a reasonable computer, Natcom says, after which connectivity
    >> fees start at $89 per month."
    >>
    >> I think the uplink is also a modem at 33.6kbps over analog phone
    >> line. Latency is also very high compared to DSL or cable.

    > IPStar is a two-way satellite system. It is geosynchronous so latency
    > is relatively high.

    I'm not saying that latenct isn't high but why would the satellite being in
    a geosynchronous orbit affect this?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I'm not saying that latenct isn't high but why would the satellite being in
    > a geosynchronous orbit affect this?

    Because its a long way away, unlike low orbit sats?
    Richard, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    The Other Guy wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> "Natcom says it can set users up with an equipment cost of about $1,990
    >> plus installation starting at $800. That amounts to about the cost of a
    >> reasonable computer, Natcom says, after which connectivity fees start at
    >> $89 per month."
    >>
    >> I think the uplink is also a modem at 33.6kbps over analog phone line.
    >>
    >> Latency is also very high compared to DSL or cable.

    > IPStar is a two-way satellite system. It is geosynchronous so latency is
    > relatively high.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Up and down?

    That's better.

    It would be usable.....but the cost is significant if you have any
    alternatives.

    If not - then at least you have the option.
    steve, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The Other Guy wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Natcom says it can set users up with an equipment cost of about
    >>> $1,990 plus installation starting at $800. That amounts to about the
    >>> cost of a reasonable computer, Natcom says, after which connectivity
    >>> fees start at $89 per month."
    >>>
    >>> I think the uplink is also a modem at 33.6kbps over analog phone
    >>> line. Latency is also very high compared to DSL or cable.

    >> IPStar is a two-way satellite system. It is geosynchronous so latency
    >> is relatively high.

    > I'm not saying that latenct isn't high but why would the satellite being
    > in a geosynchronous orbit affect this?

    35,786 kilometers up, and again to get down, for each communication.

    Light speed starts to impact.
    steve, Oct 29, 2005
  8. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > The Other Guy wrote:
    > > steve wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Natcom says it can set users up with an equipment cost of about
    > >> $1,990 plus installation starting at $800. That amounts to about the
    > >> cost of a reasonable computer, Natcom says, after which connectivity
    > >> fees start at $89 per month."
    > >>
    > >> I think the uplink is also a modem at 33.6kbps over analog phone
    > >> line. Latency is also very high compared to DSL or cable.

    IPStar operates VSAT terminals doesn't it? There's no POTS involed in the
    return data path, it goes back via a 2Watt transmitter in to its quite
    high-gain dish to the satellite if I'm not mistaken.

    > > IPStar is a two-way satellite system. It is geosynchronous so latency
    > > is relatively high.

    Pun intended? yes?

    Not if those airship ideas in Sweeden go global :eek:)

    Gavin & Sandy, Oct 29, 2005
  9. Collector»NZ

    Jasen Betts Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to nz.tech.]
    On 2005-10-29, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > I'm not saying that latenct isn't high but why would the satellite being in
    > a geosynchronous orbit affect this?

    geosync is high, the limit is lightspeed.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Oct 31, 2005