Now THIS is what I call a pose...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², Jun 3, 2007.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    pose...he'd be in business!

    Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    on a wild animal:

    The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.

    The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    at the original.

    It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...

    I see good things ahead for this new body...

    -Mark²
    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jun 3, 2007

  2. Mark²

    Savageduck Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original
    >
    > Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    > pose...he'd be in business!
    >
    > Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    > on a wild animal:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original
    >
    > The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.
    >
    > The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    > at the original.
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original
    >
    > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    > very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    > shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    > been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    > the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...
    >
    > I see good things ahead for this new body...
    >
    > -Mark²

    I think they were just hypnotized by that massive Cyclopsian eye staring
    at them :)
    The 500mm and the 1D3 are working just fine and should serve you well on
    that African trip.

    'duck

    Savageduck, Jun 3, 2007

  3. Mark²

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jun 3, 4:07 am, Savageduck <> wrote:

    > The 500mm and the 1D3 are working just fine and should serve you well on
    > that African trip.

    PW, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but .... I HATE YOU!

    Annika1980, Jun 3, 2007
  4. Mark² wrote:

    > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM,
    > and also very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX
    > II. The 1D3 made shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its
    > high ISO performance has been amazing. It is *at least* as good as
    > my 5D, which most would agree has the lowest noise at high ISO of any
    > camera yet made...
    > I see good things ahead for this new body...

    Mark, I must say,"good work" with the old Mk III. I'm very proud of you.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 3, 2007
  5. Annika1980 wrote:

    >> The 500mm and the 1D3 are working just fine and should serve you
    >> well on that African trip.

    > PW, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but .... I HATE YOU!

    Why? You saved enough pocket change on your copy of CS3 to put a nice down
    payment on a Mk III.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Mark²

    Jer Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original
    >
    > Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    > pose...he'd be in business!
    >
    > Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    > on a wild animal:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original
    >
    > The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.
    >
    > The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    > at the original.
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original
    >
    > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    > very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    > shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    > been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    > the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...
    >
    > I see good things ahead for this new body...
    >
    > -Mark²

    My wife could use a new coat... has anybody seen my biggo baseball bat?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Jun 3, 2007
  7. Mark²

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mark² wrote:

    > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    > very overcast.

    The ISO and exposure put you at about 4.5 stops from sunny-16 ... so
    indeed quite nice for the ISO. Can you post a 100% crop of a detail and
    detail-less area?

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Jun 3, 2007
  8. Mark²

    Allen Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original
    >
    > Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    > pose...he'd be in business!
    >
    > Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    > on a wild animal:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original
    >
    > The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.
    >
    > The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    > at the original.
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original
    >
    > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    > very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    > shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    > been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    > the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...
    >
    > I see good things ahead for this new body...
    >
    > -Mark²

    I could tell that the second shot has taken at high ISO, but so what!
    They are both excellent pictures that you can be proud of. I am
    irritated by all the postings in this ng about how horrible "noise" is.
    I remember the good old days when the 4x5 and even 8x10 nuts bitched and
    moaned about the grain in 35mm pictures. It's all about content and
    interest, not about scrutinizing images with magnifying glasses or
    microscopes. And there are even some old biddies who say that Monet,
    Renoir and the other Impressionists couldn't paint because of the lack
    of microscopic detail. Ansel Adams was a great photographer, but so was
    Cartier-Bresson.
    Allen

    Allen, Jun 3, 2007
  9. Mark²

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jun 3, 8:44 am, Rita Ä Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    > >> The 500mm and the 1D3 are working just fine and should serve you
    > >> well on that African trip.

    > > PW, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but .... I HATE YOU!

    > Why? You saved enough pocket change on your copy of CS3 to put a nice down
    > payment on a Mk III.
    >
    > Rita

    And ironically, PW doesn't even use CS3.
    I guess he's tapped out after spending over $10K on that combo.

    Annika1980, Jun 3, 2007
  10. Mark²

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 2:44 am, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original
    >
    > Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    > pose...he'd be in business!
    >
    > Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    > on a wild animal:http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original
    >
    > The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.
    >
    > The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    > at the original.http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original
    >
    > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    > very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    > shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    > been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    > the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...
    >
    > I see good things ahead for this new body...
    >
    > -Mark²
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    Awesome shots!
    Truly an amazing camera Mark!
    Congrats and I hope it gives you years and years of pleasure.
    BTW: A friend of mine said "I hate you!" :) LOL.
    Helen

    , Jun 3, 2007
  11. Mark²

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 8:54 am, Jer <> wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    > >http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original

    > > Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    > > pose...he'd be in business!

    > > Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    > > on a wild animal:
    > >http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original

    > > The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.

    > > The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    > > at the original.
    > >http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original

    > > It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    > > very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    > > shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    > > been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    > > the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...

    > > I see good things ahead for this new body...

    > > -Mark²

    > My wife could use a new coat... has anybody seen my biggo baseball bat?
    >
    > --
    > jer
    > email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Speaking of which, the one thing that makes me ashamed of being a
    Canadian is the seal hunt that occurs.
    Helen

    , Jun 3, 2007
  12. Mark²

    Savageduck Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 3, 2:44 am, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    > here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original

    > Awesome shots!
    > Truly an amazing camera Mark!
    > Congrats and I hope it gives you years and years of pleasure.
    > BTW: A friend of mine said "I hate you!" :) LOL.
    > Helen

    All other feuds aside, I think that was a humorous expression of big
    lens jealousy on Brett's part. :) The shots were great.
    'duck

    Savageduck, Jun 3, 2007
  13. Savageduck wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Jun 3, 2:44 am, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    >> here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original

    >> Awesome shots!
    >> Truly an amazing camera Mark!
    >> Congrats and I hope it gives you years and years of pleasure.
    >> BTW: A friend of mine said "I hate you!" :) LOL.

    > All other feuds aside, I think that was a humorous expression of big
    > lens jealousy on Brett's part. :) The shots were great.
    > 'duck

    Oh, yeah. Nice stuff, Mark. Very nice. Now, if I only had ....

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 3, 2007
  14. Mark²

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 11:03 am, Savageduck <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Jun 3, 2:44 am, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
    > > here)@cox..net> wrote:
    > >>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original

    > > Awesome shots!
    > > Truly an amazing camera Mark!
    > > Congrats and I hope it gives you years and years of pleasure.
    > > BTW: A friend of mine said "I hate you!" :) LOL.
    > > Helen

    > All other feuds aside, I think that was a humorous expression of big
    > lens jealousy on Brett's part. :) The shots were great.
    > 'duck

    Of course! Camera and lens envy, but it's all said in good fun. And
    this is how I meant it. Mark and Bret are good friends.

    , Jun 3, 2007
  15. Mark²

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 07:06:49 -0700,
    wrote:

    >> My wife could use a new coat... has anybody seen my biggo baseball bat?

    > . . .
    >
    > Speaking of which, the one thing that makes me ashamed of being a
    > Canadian is the seal hunt that occurs.

    If you haven't read Tanith Lee's "Because Our Skins Are Finer",
    you've missed a story that was probably written just for you.

    http://www.answers.com/topic/dreams-of-dark-and-light-the-great-short-fiction-of-tanith-lee

    ASAAR, Jun 3, 2007
  16. Mark²

    Alan Browne Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 3, 8:54 am, Jer <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark² wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original

    >>>Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike this
    >>>pose...he'd be in business!

    >>>Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've ever seen
    >>>on a wild animal:
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original

    >>>The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.

    >>>The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to look
    >>>at the original.
    >>>http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original

    >>>It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM, and also
    >>>very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX II. The 1D3 made
    >>>shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far, its high ISO performance has
    >>>been amazing. It is *at least* as good as my 5D, which most would agree has
    >>>the lowest noise at high ISO of any camera yet made...

    >>>I see good things ahead for this new body...

    >>>-Mark²

    >>My wife could use a new coat... has anybody seen my biggo baseball bat?
    >>
    >>--
    >>jer
    >>email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    > Speaking of which, the one thing that makes me ashamed of being a
    > Canadian is the seal hunt that occurs.

    If you say things like the above and otherwise have a single leather
    garment or eat meat, then you're simply a hypocrite.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Jun 3, 2007
  17. Mark²

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 1:31 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >>My wife could use a new coat... has anybody seen my biggo baseball bat?

    > >>--
    > >>jer
    > >>email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    > > Speaking of which, the one thing that makes me ashamed of being a
    > > Canadian is the seal hunt that occurs.

    > If you say things like the above and otherwise have a single leather
    > garment or eat meat, then you're simply a hypocrite.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan
    >
    > --
    > -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > -- r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > -- [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    I was expecting to hear from you. And no, I don't eat meat, and I
    don't wear leather.
    Helen

    , Jun 3, 2007
  18. Mark²

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 3:27 pm, wrote:
    > On Jun 3, 1:31 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:

    > > > Speaking of which, the one thing that makes me ashamed of being a
    > > > Canadian is the seal hunt that occurs.

    > > If you say things like the above and otherwise have a single leather
    > > garment or eat meat, then you're simply a hypocrite.

    > > Cheers,
    > > Alan

    > > --
    > > -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > > -- r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > > -- [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > > -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    > I was expecting to hear from you. And no, I don't eat meat, and I
    > don't wear leather.
    > Helen

    I joked about wearing a leather skirt in one post ages ago, but no I
    do not own a thing that is leather.
    Helen

    , Jun 3, 2007
  19. Mark²

    Alan Browne Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jun 3, 1:31 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>>Speaking of which, the one thing that makes me ashamed of being a
    >>>Canadian is the seal hunt that occurs.

    >>If you say things like the above and otherwise have a single leather
    >>garment or eat meat, then you're simply a hypocrite.
    >>

    > I was expecting to hear from you. And no, I don't eat meat, and I
    > don't wear leather.

    You're in the vast minority in Canada.

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Jun 3, 2007
  20. Mark²

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 3:32 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Jun 3, 1:31 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>If you say things like the above and otherwise have a single leather
    > >>garment or eat meat, then you're simply a hypocrite.

    > > I was expecting to hear from you. And no, I don't eat meat, and I
    > > don't wear leather.

    > You're in the vast minority in Canada.
    >
    > --
    > -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > -- r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > -- [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Unfortunately, that is true. I love animals too much.

    , Jun 3, 2007